“Falls short of it's potential”

Flamboyan on the Bay Resort & Villas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Magens Bay
“Falls short of it's potential”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

The resort is located in a prime location, very close to Magen's Bay which is supposedly the nicest beach in St. Thomas. It has a beautiful view of Magen's bay and the has a nice restaurant with a nice big pool overlooking the bay. The restaurant, bar and pool area are beautiful and this place could very easily be a five star resort. Unfortunately, the room that we stayed in was more like what you would find in a roadside motel rather than a high end resort. The view from the balcony was nice and the linens looked clean, but there were stains on the mattress. We found hair on the floor with lots of small flying insects as well as a few roaches. The handle on the shower was broken and the kitchen sink had an ugly rust stain on it. There was a large dead insect on the stairs that no one bothered to sweep up in the 4 days that we stayed there. And what's with the cats? Cats were all over the place. They leave cans of cat food in the hallway every morning. Why?? They advertised washer and dryer, but they were all broken. They seem to be doing some major renovations like putting in a second pool, so I think they are trying to make this place a high end resort. What I don't understand is why they don't hire some extra people to clean the rooms and fix the little things that are broken. The people here are as nice as can be. The bartenders were extremely friendly and fun, the activities director as well as the receptionists were very helpful. We really liked the people and like I said before, the place has a lot of potential. We would definitely come back and hang out at the bar, but sleep here again? I don't think so.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BillSong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Magen's Point Resort
St. Thomas, Virgin Islands

August 04-09, 2011

I arrived at Magen's Point resort for a 3 month stay. I am contracted as travel nurse working at the local hospital here on the island. I am in the company of my wife, looking forward to enjoying some leisure time in the Caribbean on my off days.
I arrived at the resort the afternoon of the 4th as scheduled. I walked toward the lobby door and went to open it, but it was locked. I was "buzzed" in as they keep the door to the lobby locked at all times. I approached the desk and said "hello." My reply was returned with a "yes." I gave the gentleman my name and explained that I had reservations for a 1 bedroom for the next 3 months. He handed me a registration form, told me to fill it out and said all he had was a studio available until Saturday, that I probably shouldn't unpack until that time. I was not offered any explanation or apology, but just told "matter-of-factly" that's what I must do. I did not like the idea of moving my luggage, which was almost 300 pounds. to a room knowing that I would have to move it again in 2 days, but I did not complain or argue.
I asked about WI-FI and was told I could get it in my room for $60.00 a month. He explained that the time was not exact, but a maximum amount of time based on 3GB of data that I was allowed. He said it could last up to 30 days if I did not download any you-tube videos or other large items and if I disconnected from the service each time I logged off. Just logging off the internet was not sufficient, you must go to your internet connection each time and log off. I paid him the $60.00 in cash for this service.
I have read other reviews on this resort of the hospitality others received when they arrived and I did not experience any of that. I had no explanation of the restaurant time, or the small store hours, basically no simple courtesies extended to me at all. I asked about a cart to borrow and was directed to the outside of the building where they keep their one small metal cart, and one 2 wheeled furniture dolly. Again, my wife and I were going to be here for 3 months and have a lot of dietary preferences that prompted us to bring our personal kitchen supplies. I loaded up part of our luggage and pushed it up a hill on a narrow pathway that was extremely bumpy and covered only with asphalt. When I opened the door to our small studio, it smelled very musty. I finished bringing up the rest of the luggage and went to relax in our temporary accommodations.
The T.V. remote did not work so I went to the office to ask for a battery for it, which the attendant gave me. It still did not work and the next day a maintenance man came by to try and "re-program" it, but was unsuccessful after almost 30 minutes in my room and said since I was moving to a 1 bedroom that the one there should work. The bed was on rollers, and every time I went to sit up in bed it would move on me.
Later, on our arrival night, I went to shower. The facility is an old time-share place, and in desperate need of updates. I went to turn the shower on and the handle came off in my hand. After attempting to adjust the water with the wire coming out of the wall I could not get any hot water. I then tried to get hot water in the bathroom sink and kitchen with no success.
Saturday morning, after having no hot water for 2 days, and maintenance was unable to repair that problem either, the water totally ran out. They had some water brought up to refill the cistern, but the water coming out was very brown.
We were able to move to another unit as promised. It was a 2 bedroom, not the 1 bedroom we requested. Again, the furniture looked to be from the 1980's . It did not have a full size refrigerator, only a small dorm size one with little space for food and no freezer. There was literally no counter top to prepare any meals. The only space was a 3 foot counter that had a 2 burner stove and a sink. There were no paper towels or any extras including no soap dish or basics that you would expect to find. It looked more updated than the studio we had been in and were glad to get it. Again, having to move almost 300# worth of luggage with no offer of help from the staff, across the very bumpy asphalt and up and down a lot stairs to go from one side of the resort to the other. It was very hot in the unit and we thought it would be nice to open the front door and the sliding glass door to the back balcony. The bugs were too much and because we had no screens on the front entrance or the back patio door, we shut the doors and turned on the air conditioners. They were both very loud. My wife took the a/c filters out that had an enormous amount of dirt and dust build up on both of them, and cleaned them which helped some with the noise and getting cooler air. We moved the couch and other furniture around to place ourselves under the ceiling fan to try and cool off. By the way, this remote for the T.V. didn't work in this unit either. We went to bed and the mattress was so soft that we both sank to the middle. We then moved to the other bedroom up in the loft, the air conditioner was so loud we had to turn it off. The next morning around 5:30 and after getting very little sleep, the sun comes in over the loft through the vaulted ceiling that has no covering or blinds.. It was a large area letting a lot of light in. After getting very little sleep, there was no chance of getting any now either. This night also included several "partiers" being loud outside our room from around midnight to 3 A.M..
Sunday they did come by to check the chlorine level in the water from the kitchen sink and the maintenance man told us that we could bathe with the water and wash our faces but don't drink it because it didn't have any chlorine in it. Then while we were gone someone came in to swap the mattress out in our bedroom. They took the linens and comforter off the bed, threw them in the floor, and left them there. I would have at least expected for them to throw them back on the bed, even if they didn't make the bed up.The washer and dryer room they had was very nasty and the washers and dryers did not work.
In summary, this resort is in a very secluded area, and while Magens Bay beach is close, there are beaches just as nice on the east side of the island. There are no services close by, the resort is not friendly, or honest. I was inconvenienced with having to move several times, had no hot water and then no water at all. Air conditioners loud, no full size refrigerator, no food prep area, no working washer or dryer, and amenities were limited and very outdated. I would never stay or recommend anyone to stay here. After having traveled in 46 states in the U.S., and 9 countries, I would not even give this resort a one star rating. Very disappointing.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank Jim B

Travelers are raving about these Magens Bay hotels

Reviewed August 3, 2011

Three of us were moved to Magens Point by RCI only after refusing to stay another night at the Sunset Ridge Villas in St John. That place was a dump despite the great reviews by their owners. I call it different strokes for different folks.
Anyway, a two bdrm unit became available at the last minute. Upon our arrival at Magens, I knew I was in trouble after being created by
hoards of cats and chickens. Cats were everywhere, even under the parked cars. I have a serious phobia and allergic reaction to cats. Since there was no other resort available, I knew my 6 days at this place would be a disaster.

I tried to make the best of a bad situation, but the place is a 1 on my list. The unit, #334, is in need of updating. At least we had two AC's, which were very loud, but the mini kitchen was disgusting with the bathroom sink located right next to the kitchen sink! To prepare a meal
ine night, my friend had to use the counter for the bathroom sink since there was insufficient counter space to put the pots or dishes. This was a sight to see with dishes on the bathroom sink! We did the best we could.

The guest services manager, Viola, tried her best to make us comfortable during our stay. She showed us a few of the units that were updated. The units are still ugly to me! That tiny kitchen being situated next to the bathroom sink is unsanitary in my book. The new units have the exact same layout. Only the stove top and fridge may have been replaced along with some
painting and tiles. The location is well off the beaten path and there are many dangerous curves you have to negotiate to drive up to the resort on the left side. This is a place I would not advise anyone to stay unless you can handle the animals and accommodations of. one star category. We traveled so far only to be miserable for a week.

• Stayed July 2011
4 Thank Hajjah85
St. Croix
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My friend and I took a trip over to St. Thomas and stayed at this hotel and we had no real complaints. The rooms were great and the service was excellent. The rooms are being renovated so I expect even greater things from this hotel when we visit again next year. Special thanks to Viola and Wanda for making us feel welcomed during our visit.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We are really enjoying our stay at Magens Point and could not be more pleased with everything here! We are staying in what they call a studio room, but it is much larger than what we expected as this is the first time here at Magens Point for the five of us. It's more like a one bedroom apt. We have 2 rooms here and the other half of our family is in a two bedroom loft. Both have been newly updated with new ceramic tile floors, ceramic walk in showers, windows, furnishings, etc. Both rooms have kitchenettes with everything you need if you choose to cook. Even the refrigerators for kitchenettes is large and can hold quite a bit of food and beverages for 5 people! Our room's balcony is larger than the 2 bedrooms and has a table and chairs plus chaise lounge chair and overlooks the beach. Really a gorgeous view!

It is quite clear that they are in the process of doing some major upscale remodeling here, but it has not interfered with our stay one bit. It is well on it's way to becoming a premiere place to stay in St. Thomas. While the pool and hot tub areas are great with lots of chairs and shaded areas (nice rock waterfall in the pool and hot tub is in a rock grotto) they are also putting in a new swimming pool in another section that looks like it will be equally as nice.

However, what we love the best about this place is how peaceful and laid back it is. It is the perfect place to stay if you are looking to get away and relax and that is what we wanted. Even our two 18yr. olds are enjoying the low key atmosphere. The staff is very friendly and helpful and does a great job of seeing you have everything you need or request in a very timely manner. As far as location goes, when we are ready to head out for something new, (esp. the 18 yr olds) it is all within a short drive or walk to the beach and other areas.

So far everything we have had to eat at the resort has been very good as well as any other restaurant we've been to on the island. We would definitely stay here again and recommend it to our friends and family looking for a relaxing get-away.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2011

This is the second time we have stayed at magens point. It is small but very friendly. Everything u need. Definitely need to rent a car because it is far from everything. Definitely would recommend.

• Stayed July 2011
Big Spring, Texas
Reviewed July 25, 2011

The rooms are being remodeled and we stayed in a remodeled room. Viola Morton was very gracious in taking her time to show us around and let us see the different decor being used for remodeling. We found the staff all very courteous and happy to assist you with anything you needed. The workman would even offer to help. We found the food at the restaurant to be very good and the view is incredible. The hot tub is nice as well as the pool. We had rented a car so driving to the beach at Magens Beach early in the morning is the way to go. We did not play tennis but they do have courts. Staying there was a pleasure.

Room Tip: If you have a problem just be courteous and ask. Everyone seems ready to help you at this resort.