“Would be a five except for the crowds”
Review of Magens Bay

Magens Bay
Book In Advance
More Info
$40.00*
and up
Magen's Bay Beach Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Hailed as one of the world's most beautiful, this breathtaking bay along St. Thomas' rugged north coast is ideal for swimming and snorkeling with all the conveniences of parking, lifeguards, equipment rental, freshwater showers, restaurants and bars.
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 148 helpful votes
“Would be a five except for the crowds”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Yes we were one of those dreaded cruise ship passengers, but we were one of the first people off our ship so were at the beach by 8:30am. At this time we had it all to ourselves other then a couple of local residents and a paddle boarder. (Life guards arrived about 9:30-10:00 cruise ship passengers and tours from about 10am on) It was really beautiful on this morning as the waters were very flat and clear.
I grabbed my snorkel gear as an after thought just before leaving our room on the ship and I am SO glad I did. We actually parked ourselves on a picnic bench way over to the right when facing the water and after getting settled I decided to give snorkeling a try even though I did not have high expectations. I was in the water five minutes and paddling around near the rope line when I caught site of a turtle below me! Of course I did not have my underwater camera so swam back to shore to get it and hoping I could remember where the turtle was and that it would still be there. I really did not need to worry however as not only did I see this turtle again but at least 5-6 others. I also saw several rays, and swam in the middle of a HUGE bait ball of baby aquarium size fish. That was really cool as the pelicans were also just diving into the waters all around me getting a great meal! Anyway snorkeled for about 1.5 hrs and when I came out of the water I was surprised to see the beach beginning to get packed with taxi's and tours arriving, also saw that the turtles and rays were moving on to other spots. So dried off in the sun, enjoyed a cold beer and then headed out by 11am. It was the perfect way to spend about 2.5 hrs at this lovely beach, but I definitely would not want to be here after 11am as it was WAY to crowded for my likes.

1 Thank zaney

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Simply fantastic. Great beach, sand, sun, rentals, great beach shop (bought hats and things, good prices), restaurant (smelled great!), lockers, good change rooms etc. Picture perfect beach, wonderful water, no hassel from locals, police around for security, great sand, pelicans :) simply perfect. $6 per person taxi ride through the hills from the cruise ship port. Lots of great photo ops on the way to and from. I can't wait to go again. A great way to spend a day!!

2 Thank zanezed
Oley, Pennsylvania
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“Simply Beautiful!”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We travel throughout the Caribbean and still chose Magen's Bay as the location of our destination wedding. We have yet to find a more beautiful beach! Note: if you get married here, have a taxi driver take you around the island for photos overlooking Magen's Bay and other picturesque spots. We are SO glad we did that!

1 Thank RNjen61
Saint Louis, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Nice beach with facilities”
Reviewed December 21, 2011

The view of this beach is stunning from above - Mountain Top has the BEST view of the island, period. We were told that the wedding scene in the latest Twilight movie was filmed here. We were also told that this is one of a couple of beaches that the cruise ships send their passenger to (and I believe it). Loungers and covered pavilions are available for rent, as well as snorkeling gear ($25) and other water sports equipment.

Springfield, Louisiana
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“A must see!!”
Reviewed December 21, 2011

Voted one of the top 10 beaches in the world and I believe it! Also if you are the adventurous type take a hike up the nature trail for a breathe taking view of the bay from the observation deck!