“Glorious view - everything else just okay”

St. Peter Greathouse Estate & Gardens
Book In Advance
More Info
$51.99*
and up
St. Thomas Island Tour and Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: Follow a nature trail that leads you through nearly 200 varieties of tropical plants and an orchid jungle, wander through a gallery displaying local art, or take a sip of complimentary rum punch when you visit these scenic botanical gardens that are perched on a mountainside 1,000 feet above sea level.
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I've been on St. Thomas twice and both of my tours have taken me here. If you come here you will be able to overlook Hull Bay and Magen's Bay Beach (if you can - go to Magen's Bay Beach instead). In the overlook you also have the opportunity to see multiple islands such as St. Johns, Tortola, Tobago and more. The view is quite breathtaking and this house seems to be well setup for weddings with the gazebo in the overlook deck and the banquet area. Other areas to explore is the souvenier shop, the aviary (I do not remember this part in my first visit) with multiple birds flying around that are quite chatty, the interior of the house and the botanical gardens area that has some nice plants and that are labelled. This second go around, they also offered water and punch for self-serve to guests. Overall, I still love the view, but that time that it takes to get all the way up the hill it may not be worth it to some as this view overlooking Hull Bay and Magen's Bay Beach can be viewed in many other places on the island. I would suggest just going to Magen's Bay or over to St. John's if you are on a cruise excursion.

1  Thank Angellica M

Reviewed May 16, 2012

This was included on our tour, but would never go again. The "gardens" are an over-grown back yard. It was billed as "home to many tropical birds". There were 3 or 4 parrots, etc kept in very small, filthy cages. Yes, there is a nice view, but that is all the place has.

2  Thank mamalyn27407
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Stop there with our tour ,lots of other tours stop there .We enjoyed the scenery and saw some of the garden,cannot understand why the macaws are in such a small cage .There is a small shop so you can buy souvenirs .It was ok but would not return .

Reviewed February 12, 2012

I didn't know what to expect from our visit to this unique property. The long drive up the mountain is well rewarded with unprecedented views of the island. The sunset was a must see and the bar made a few great drinks I had never heard of and can't remember either, wonder why?! It made for a magical evening for my wife and I.

2  Thank Adam H
Reviewed January 31, 2012

great view of Magens Bay.
nice gardens and nature walk.
blue Orchard restraunt located there. looks nice although we did not eat there