“The Cove is nice, Morningstar beach is nicer.”

Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Built on a steep hillside, the Frenchman's Cove is an unimaginative use of space. We stayed in a building on top. It takes three elevator rides to get to the pool and beach. As much as 14 stories. Our room was nice and the A/C worked well (you really need it), but it drops directly on pullout couch. The resort is still under construction. Can watch cruise ships go in and out from your room. The pool and beach at the Cove are nice. There is some nice shade on the beach. Snag one of the hammocks there.
Better to rent a car. Driving on the left is only confusing for a day.
Short walk to Frenchman's Reef hotel or morningstar, but the path is not as quaint as some say
Avoid Cokie beach. It is crowded tourist trap and has poor snorkling. Shop owners will direct you into the very limited parking but ask that you stop by their shop. Mailman is a shack with warnout bar and wiggly stools, but he is a character And the fish is fresh. Don't expect walls or tables. He does much of his business from the beach.
Sunset cove sits next to pool with view of beach. Fast but unfriendly service!
Morningstar is a great beach with plenty of chairs and shade. One of the longerstretches. Faces south. Pool has some nice shade and two falling water features. Hot tub was real hot! Restaurant in center of beach was nice but service was also faster than expected and rude.
Island food, even groceries, can be expensive, but this trip was 25% to 50% higher than Hawaii.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ihitchhiker
Write a ReviewReviews (1,465)

Reviewed July 11, 2010

We just got here yesterday and I plan to sit out on my balcony, enjoying the view, once my tea is brewed. So, this is just a few notes for now and I"ll write a full review later.
Our flight from Newark got in at 12:00, baggage arrived right away, no problem getting our mini-van from Hertz (though I'm annoyed we can't take it to tSt. John. Dropped the kids (son, 22; his GF, 19; daughter 16; her BFF 16) off at Delly Deck in Havensight while we went to check in. Our room wasn't ready yet (no surprise), so we gave them our cell and went back to join the kids for lunch. Food at Delly Deck was good , nice selection and large portions. Normally that's not a big deal for me, but everyone was hungry. Sure beat Sunset Cove at Marriott. Lots of locals eat here and teh place was pretty crowded. After lunch, walked around Havensight a bit and went grocery shopping at Gourmet Gallery. Walked around comparing proces and was glad I brought some groceries with my. For example, my Twinnings Earl Grey Tea is $4.99 at home, $8.95 here. Some items were comprable. A bottle of Kendall Jackson Chardonnay was $13.99, similar to home, but Sonoma Cutrer was $35.99 ($19.99 at home).

After shopping, we headed back to the cove to wait for our room in the registration building. Nice place to sit, everyone was very friendly and we were greeted with cold towels and lemonade. Finally, our room in the Jost Van Dyke building was ready (I asked for the newly-finished Tortola - see pic, it's on the right hand side - at the last minute, but Jost was what I requested on reservation) and we got the 5th floor (note: owners get preferred rooms). Of course, the view was gorgeous! Went to the beach in from of the Cove and my daughter's friend stepped on something on the dead reef that embedded into her foot. My husband was able to get it out with my Exacto knife (sterilised) that I brought to sharpen my art pencils. Swimming around in the salt water helped clean it out and she was fine, but be careful of those rocks. If you go down by the now-completed dock, there is an area that is rock-free. I was very happy to see that the dock was finally finished and they did a great job (see pic). More to come later - going to go enjoy my tea!

.sioda,

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank SiodaNj
Reviewed July 9, 2010

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at the Marriott. The rooms were very nice, the grounds were so beautiful and the private beach was so clean and relaxing! The only negative things that we have to say about the hotel are: The Spa needs a complete remodeling job...there is nothing nice about the facilities at all. The services were fine and the staff was very nice. Our only other complaint is that the staff kept bothering us to sign up for the timeshare meetings. It would be nice if they mentioned it once during check-in and then didn't bring it up again for your stay.I am sure that some people would be very interested for the free money; however, we were not.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AZtravelers59
Reviewed July 8, 2010

We thoroughly enjoyed our trip and time spent at the Frenchman's Cove.

The Good:

The suite was BEAUTIFUL!
The pool was PERFECT!
We really liked the pool bar and ate a lot of meals there.
The beach, though man made, was still very nice and so convenient as it backed up to the pool.
We loved that we had access to the pool at the Reef and the Beach at Morning Star. It's so convenient to get around between the 3 resorts and they each have some REALLY nice features.

The not as good:

We stayed in a building that was toward the front of the resort and the way that the elevators were set up, we had to take 4 elevators to get down to the beach. Wasn't anything we couldn't deal with but it was a little annoying.
The construction going on was also a little annoying. I'm not sure if it's still going on, but the cranes everywhere took away from the peaceful surroundings.

Overall it was an amazing trip! I highly recommend visiting the BVI while you're there through Horizon Tours and also doing a sailboat ride to St. John. Going to Honeymoon Beach on St. John, The Baths at Virgin Gorda, and The Soggy Dollar at Jost Van Dyke were TRULY unforgettable experiences. Some of the most beautiful places I have EVER seen!!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank LoveRocks16
Reviewed July 5, 2010

We are Marriott owner's in Panama City and always wanted to go to USVIs. We had a 2 bedroom condo with full kitchen. The kitchen has stainless appliances and granite countertops. King bed in master and 2 queens in spare bedroom. Each bedroom has it's own balcony. We had coffee each morning outside watching the daily cruise ships dock. Even though it wasn't our anniversary, I told the receptionist it was and see what she could do to give us fantastic room. She hooked us up on the top floor!

The pool is great for kids. Has a little water slide that was my 3 year son's favorite thing to do all trip. There are plenty of activities each day for kids put on by the Marriott. The pool restaurant, Sunset Cove, is expensive. But what do you expect from a Marriott?? Here's a tip--the pool bar charges $6 for Presidentes but the grocery market which is literally 15 feet away sells Presidentes for only $2!!! I went to the market, bought 4 Presidentes for $8, walked to the bar, and watched the World Cup saving $16. The food is just ok. The wings are small. The jerk wrap is spicey, which I liked.

Don't expect much help from the Marriott staff to recommend grocery stores. They told us to go to Gourmet Grocery which is the closet to the property-5min away. It was TERRIBLE!!!! It was gross. Do NOT go there. Either go to Kmart which is 5min from Gourmet Grocery or the Fruit Bowel which is across the street from Kmart.

I'd recommend renting a car. If you don't want to rent a car and you have little kids before you get into taxi ask the driver if he/she'll will be charging you for your kids. We didn't have a car one day and paid $30 to go to Iggie's. On the way back the driver didn't charge us for our 3 year old so it was $20. If you rent a car, get a Jeep. It's much more fun than a car and you definitely need it driving on the island and if you take the car ferry to St John.

Driving on the left side of the road is tricky. Especially most of the roads don't have lines on them. Also none of the streets have street signs like the States so be prepared for that.

I'd definitely recommend The Cove. It's beautiful, clean rooms, plenty of activities for the kids, close to shopping, and all the amenities of a Marriott property.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank dylanwirth
Reviewed June 2, 2010

Frenchmans Cove was everything we wanted it to be. Every villa has an ocean view with a balcony out each bedroom. The pool and the beach were just steps away from the buildings and were immaculate. Grocery stores were a convenient 3-5 minute drive away and numerous restaurant choices ranged from a short walk or shuttle ride to the Marriott Frenchmans Reef and Beach Resort, a 5 minute to a 15 minute drive. The many fantastic beaches were accessible and not crowded during our stay. Yes, a car is almost a necessity in St Thomas because the taxis can get rather expensive charging per person.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank curbysplace
Reviewed June 1, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a 5-day stay at the Marriott Frenchman's Cove in St. Thomas. We went on the basis of a timeshare preview, and enjoying a few days in the Caribbean sun wth friends. I made the arrangements with Marriott over 8-months prior to our stay and was looking forward to a condo/room with a beautiful oceanview from our balcony. However, when we arrived on Friday afternoon we were assigned a condo on the first floor overlooking the roof of another building! We found out later at the timeshare presentation that was Marriott's plan all along - get you hooked and on site, put you in less than expected accomodations, then promise you that you'll receive first choice and "the best" once you become an "owner". Needless to say, during the presentation, the representative did indeed provide us with a tour of "an owner's unit" that was oceanfront overlooking Morningstar Beach and the property's lovely pool.

We had a 2BR/2BA unit, so we invited two friends to come along and enjoy the stay with us. The condo itself was very nice with a split bedroom floor plan, sofabed in the livingroom, and granite countertops w/stainless steel appliances. However, being on the first floor, the view was awful and the noise was more than expected.

The pool was somewhat difficult to access unless you were fortunate enough to be an owner and staying in one of the "owner's units" that were next to the pool. We had to take three elevators just to get down on the pool level to reach the pool. But once we were there, it was truly a beautiful pool with infinity edge and a small waterslide.

The beach was small but clean with ample chairs and umbrellas provided free of charge. However, the ocean was trecherous! My husband stepped on a cluster of sea urchins within two hours of our arrival and required a trip to the St. Thomas hospital emergency room! We took photos the next day when the tide was out of the thousands of sea urchins attached to the rocks and coral located just beneath the surface all over the ocean floor right in front of the complex! Swimmers and beachgoers BEWARE!!?!! There were NO signs notifying visitors and/or swimmers of the risk/hazard! Had there been any indication of the sort we all would have worn water shoes! One cannot see the dangers under the ocean water until it is too late! Just be warned! Also, of special note, when we got my husband back up to our unit, I called the front desk/customer service emergency number on our room telephone FOUR TIMES and NEVER GOT AN ANSWER or any help!!!!! Thank goodness the critter was not poisonous!! We put him in our car and drove him (in the dark after having been on the island for only a couple of hours and not even knowing where the hospital was!?!) without any assistance from anyone from Marriott!!! I was livid!! God forbid if he had been having a heart attack or similar ailment! I must say though that the personnel in the ER at the St. Thomas hospital were so kind and helpful from the time we walked through the door until we left. Kudos!!

On to other resort comments... We only ate at the poolside deli/bar, which like all of the eating establishments within this Marriott property, was somewhat pricey. Our order of nachos cost $12, as did my simple ceasar salad (with NO chicken!). The 2-for-1 happy hour drinks averaged $7-to-$9 each and were not very tasty by most standards.

Also, be aware of the HIGH COST of taxi's in St. Thomas. It is generally $10 per person to get anywhere on the island - and that is only for a one way trip! If you plan to stay for several days and/or see much more than the local area around the hotel complex, consider renting a car through HERTZ or one of the reputable agencies - you'll definitely get more for your money. Just know and remember that they drive on the LEFT side of the road - which can be very tricky!!

The Marriott Frenchman's Cove is definitely the premiere resort on St. Thomas as most of the other properties are old and show their age. If the economy were not so unstable right now and we were in a more comfortable position with buying a timeshare - then this would definitely be the place we would buy. The location in St. Thomas is ideal for venturing out and ferrying to other outlying islands such as BEAUTIFUL St. John, and also Tortola and Jost Van Dyke. We took a full daysail on the catamaran KURALU out of Soper's Hole, Tortola that took us to Sandy Spit (the BEST snorkeling!!) and White Bay on Jost Van Dyke (Soggy Dollar Bar and IVAN's Stress Free Bar). I only wish we had stayed longer so we could have spent several more days taking daysails to other islands.

We did tour the Marriott Frenchman's Reef hotel while staying at The Cove. And although the hotel was beautiful and the decor very island-appropriate, the pool was dirty and not well maintained, and there was no beach there. You had to trek down a hill to an adjacent property to reach the beach shared with the hotel - which made it very inconvenient if you were a hotel guest.

Again, the Frenchman's Cove condo units were great, and in a convenient location near downtown Charlotte Amalie and the cruise port of Havensight (good shopping). Just beware of the aforementioned items such as the view (unless you are a owner), the sea urchins and dangers in the ocean off the beach in front of the pool, the $$$ expense of taking a taxi versus a rental car, and driving on the opposite side of the road.

Overall, our stay was wonderful and relaxing, and we would love to purchase one of the Marriott Frenchman's Cove timeshare condos there. But we actually had the most fun visiting beautiful St. John (via short ferry from Red Hook @ $6pp/rt). But we would definitely return to St. Thomas - only if we stay at the Marriott Frenchman's Cove!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
4 mi away
Point Pleasant Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End

Been to Marriott's Frenchman's Cove? Share your experiences!