Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Reviewed December 31, 2009

My family of 5 is leaving tomorrow but no one wants to go! We had the most wonderful time. The Cove (not the hotel = reef) is totally fabulous. We had a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit with 3 flat screens and a fabulous kitchen. I'm on the 5th flr of the St John bldg and the view from every room is most beautiful. We rented a car. We had a minivan. People go nuts out here about the need for a 4 wheel drive vehicle but don't believe it. We went all over St Thomas and St John in our minivan. It's more important to have a large car if you have a large family than anything else and you definitely want a car. If u read through all the reviews you will be well prepared for your trip with tips like - rent a car, food shop at cost-u-less, bring ur own floats, take car boat to st john go to trunk bay etc.. The Cove, however, kept my kids busy whenever we were here at the timeshare with activities like, tye dye t shirts, sand art, ice cream, temporary tatoos, pool games, ping pong and wii. It also has a fabulous pool with a slide and a cute beach. For a bigger beach with smoother sand u can go right next door. We ate at the pool restaurant 2x. It has good food with reasonable prices. We love this place. LOVE IT!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank rl549
Write a ReviewReviews (1,465)

Reviewed December 28, 2009

We rented a 2BR suite at the COVE, not the hotel, which is a big step down from what I hear. Our villa was very clean, well-kept, and modern. We even kept the comforters on the beds. It lacked nothing and came with a washer/dryer, very helpful with two boys, ages 5 and 7. (Plenty of kid friendly activities!!!)

The poolside restaurant could have used some local food but they cater to "standard American." The shuttle service between Marriott properties was absurdly slow. Otherwise, it's impossible to complain. The best part is that the hotel is not yet overcrowded so there was little fighting for pool/beach chairs. They are building two/three more buildings so it may become like Aruba all too soon.

If you are planning to "leave" the resort, you may want to research renting a car. Cab fares are per person, so larger families cost a bit of money. Round-trip into town was $50 for a family of 4 - so every dinner off property was costly. We spent over $400 on cabs during the week.

The concierge was extremely helpful once on site. They planned all our dinners and excursions - and of course pushed for a viewing of time share opportunities. I would suggest being clear as to what you want for food/trips as they all tend to suggest the same restaurants and off sites. In hindsight, I would have enjoyed some local food
Lastly, they will all suggest the gondola ride on Wednesday night. It's a beautiful view but a real tourist trap. Some of the suggested restaurants offer the same view.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank My_3_SonsNewYork
Reviewed December 9, 2009

I wasn't expecting too much judging by some of the reviews, but most of the hotel's shortcomings were offset by the location and view. They probably have been reading some of the reviews about the service, as it was better than expected although everywhere on the Island, service seemed to not be a high priority.

Our room was "upgraded" to overlook to the sea, but it appeared as if most of the others rooms did also. They were rather normal, spacious rooms. Hey, this is the beach after all. Our rooms were made up promptly and were quite clean and tidy.

The main restaurant was only open for breakfast and the coffee shop doubled for lunch and dinner. You could walk down to the two restaurants servicing the timeshares, and they were more interesting but at a higher price. You could also WAIT for the shuttle which was an open caravan multi-seat affair. There was a fancy "Blue" something or another place there that was very delicious but pricey and the servers were ex-pats who greeted you in shorts as "hi, I'm Lulu belle and will be your server tonight." - just a little too bouncy for me. They took over 5 minutes to teach you about their tasting menu. "Tasting Menu" to me means expensive.

I just don't understand why a property as the Marriott feels that it okay to cut back on amenities and service only because it has the "resort" designation. As a regular Marriot customer, I am used to getting a weekday newspaper, early check in and late check out. Making us check out at 11:00am and not letting us into our rooms until 3:00pm is not what I call good service. It's good for them.

All the people working in these resorts must know that they will probably never see us again and so they just don't put out the enthusiasm I'm regularly used to. The wait staff in the main hotel restaurants moved in a listless motion. They would appear out of the dark recesses as if Zombies from below and flow up to your table. I never heard a "Bon appétit." But, your drinks and food did come promptly and it was quite good.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wanderlust099
Reviewed December 5, 2009

Beautiful apartment (stainless steel appliances, 3 flat screen TVs), incredible view from all rooms, incredible location, and of course incredible weather down there...but the service and maintenance was a bit slow and it took repeated calls to get someone to clean our place...though I think it's reflective of the laid-back attitude that happens by living in the Carribbean, which is why we went there for a vacation in the first place

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank roxtar69
Reviewed November 2, 2009

The Cove was just great......I mean all the rooms face the water so what more can you ask for. I was in the St. John building and it was great. Can you picture everytime you wake up all the first thing you see when you get out your bed is the sea.........just great I tell you. The front desk is also nice, the girl who checked me in was very nice and told me everything I needed to know. If you have laptops bring them cause the internet is free and fast, you can use yuor laptop anywhere at the cove. Now when it comes to driving I would rent a car if you don't mind driving on the left but after a couple times it comes easy. DO NOT RENT A CAR from First Car Rental, the cars brake down and i'm sure you wouldn't want that happening to you. Diana at the front desk told me I could rent a good car from them but that was not the case, and she works there as well. The food at the bar was ok but I feel like it should have more Island food on the menu. All in all my trip was great and I the people and Island was great as well.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank nikita_nikita88
Reviewed October 25, 2009

It is in a good location, about 10 min drive to downtown and about 20 min drive to Red Hook. The service was very good, like most businesses in St.Thomas, most of the employees are from the mainland, are well educated and speek great english.

We stayed in building 8 in a 3 bedroom unit. It was very nice, no complaints here.

They layout of the resort helps to get you a nice view from your room, but makes it a nightmare to get to the beach or pool. We had to take 3 differant elevators in 3 differant buildings just to get to the pool/beach! The other poor design is the locations of the BBQ. None near our building. We had to take 2 differant elevaters in 2 differant buildings to get to the BBQ!

The tiered level from the pool to the beach was very nice. You could be in the 3rd row up/back from the pool and still have a nice view of the beach/water.

The Sunset Grille food was average at best and a little overpriced as you would expect. They good news there was the 2 for 1 drinks at happy hour. $9 frozen drinks.

Overall a nice spot.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
5  Thank 1Rookie
Reviewed October 14, 2009

My family and I stayed at the Frenchman's Cove timeshares this August and could not have had a better time. The service was fantastic and the room was perfect. Not only did it overlook a beautiful view of the water/beach/pool but it had two balconies perfect for eating dinner and enjoying the view, as well as spacious bedrooms, comfy beds, and a great kitchen and living room. The hotel room very comfortably fit the four of us staying there and would have easily accommodated more. Although the beach was somewhat small, it felt very private and had great access to the clear, blue water. I would go back to this hotel every year.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
4 mi away
Point Pleasant Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End

Been to Marriott's Frenchman's Cove? Share your experiences!