“Great...but service can be a little slow”

Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
New York City, New York
“Great...but service can be a little slow”
Reviewed December 5, 2009

Beautiful apartment (stainless steel appliances, 3 flat screen TVs), incredible view from all rooms, incredible location, and of course incredible weather down there...but the service and maintenance was a bit slow and it took repeated calls to get someone to clean our place...though I think it's reflective of the laid-back attitude that happens by living in the Carribbean, which is why we went there for a vacation in the first place

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank roxtar69

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
JAX
Reviewed November 2, 2009

The Cove was just great......I mean all the rooms face the water so what more can you ask for. I was in the St. John building and it was great. Can you picture everytime you wake up all the first thing you see when you get out your bed is the sea.........just great I tell you. The front desk is also nice, the girl who checked me in was very nice and told me everything I needed to know. If you have laptops bring them cause the internet is free and fast, you can use yuor laptop anywhere at the cove. Now when it comes to driving I would rent a car if you don't mind driving on the left but after a couple times it comes easy. DO NOT RENT A CAR from First Car Rental, the cars brake down and i'm sure you wouldn't want that happening to you. Diana at the front desk told me I could rent a good car from them but that was not the case, and she works there as well. The food at the bar was ok but I feel like it should have more Island food on the menu. All in all my trip was great and I the people and Island was great as well.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank nikita_nikita88
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 25, 2009

It is in a good location, about 10 min drive to downtown and about 20 min drive to Red Hook. The service was very good, like most businesses in St.Thomas, most of the employees are from the mainland, are well educated and speek great english.

We stayed in building 8 in a 3 bedroom unit. It was very nice, no complaints here.

They layout of the resort helps to get you a nice view from your room, but makes it a nightmare to get to the beach or pool. We had to take 3 differant elevators in 3 differant buildings just to get to the pool/beach! The other poor design is the locations of the BBQ. None near our building. We had to take 2 differant elevaters in 2 differant buildings to get to the BBQ!

The tiered level from the pool to the beach was very nice. You could be in the 3rd row up/back from the pool and still have a nice view of the beach/water.

The Sunset Grille food was average at best and a little overpriced as you would expect. They good news there was the 2 for 1 drinks at happy hour. $9 frozen drinks.

Overall a nice spot.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
5 Thank 1Rookie
New York
Reviewed October 14, 2009

My family and I stayed at the Frenchman's Cove timeshares this August and could not have had a better time. The service was fantastic and the room was perfect. Not only did it overlook a beautiful view of the water/beach/pool but it had two balconies perfect for eating dinner and enjoying the view, as well as spacious bedrooms, comfy beds, and a great kitchen and living room. The hotel room very comfortably fit the four of us staying there and would have easily accommodated more. Although the beach was somewhat small, it felt very private and had great access to the clear, blue water. I would go back to this hotel every year.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank el31lyon
Virginia
Reviewed October 13, 2009

My fiance and I, along with my parents, stayed in a 2BR condo at the Cove a little over a week ago. It was our first time visiting St. Thomas. We rented a car and drove to the Cove. It took about 15 minutes from the airport. Be aware that you drive on the left side of the road here, which can be quite the adjustment!! The roads are also very narrow and STEEP at times...so it can be a little unnerving. I would DEFINITELY recommend renting a car though, as it allows you to see more of St. Thomas and to get out and do things. I would have felt very confined otherwise. Also, I have Verizon and my phone did not work well here at all...so just be aware.

We had called ahead about 3 weeks prior to our trip and asked for a "higher" floor, and were told that it wouldn't be a problem. When we arrived, the woman at the front desk told us we'd be in the St. John building in room 614. We were excited because we assumed this meant 6th floor (we were wrong). Note that for some odd reason, in our building, the lower your room number was, the higher floor you were on...and after spending 20 minutes looking for our room...we found it...on the lowest floor. I must admit that I was really upset...as we had booked our vacation months in advance. My fiance called the front desk at this point to see if we could be put on a higher floor..and was told that ALL of the "preview rate" rooms were on the 1st floor, and that the rest of the rooms were occupied by "owners" (so be AWARE of this if you are not an "owner"). The view from our balcony was basically of the rooftop of the building in front of us (see pictures attached). Also, they are still doing construction on the area, so we had full view of 2 lovely "cranes" for our entire stay.

Once we got past the initial disappointment of the "lack of view", we really enjoyed ourselves. The room itself inside was lovely...very clean...beautiful kitchen...master bedroom had a wonderful soaking tub. The living room was nice, equipped with a pull-out couch, 2 chairs and a flat screen TV. Each room had a balcony, but only 1 balcony could be accessed from the living room (that of the Master bedroom). I must say that the bed was NOT comfortable...(and I'm not that picky)...so that was disappointing. We went down to the Pueblo supermarket at the bottom of the hill (the Cove is almost at the top of a fairly large hill) and bought groceries and therefore saved ALOT of money on food. Liquor here (St. Thomas) is CHEAP, so don't bother packing any. Just take a trip to Pueblo and you can buy it for much cheaper than in the States.

We did go downtown to visit Charlotte Amalie and shopped there. There was NOBODY around as there were no cruise ships in, so it was wonderful (although this caused the shop owners to be somewhat aggressive in trying to sell things), but I don't really blame them either. We also visited Coral World, and it was practically deserted as well. I loved it though...wonderful opportunity to see fish (without having to get wet!)...as well as other wildlife.

We dined out 1 night while there at a restaurant in French Town called "Hook Line and Sinker". THIS PLACE IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST GO!!! Low-key place with absolutely TO DIE FOR seafood. Simply awesome. We ate snacks and had drinks at the "Cove", which is the little beach bar next to the Cove pool. I thought the food was ok there...nachos, quesadillas and such. The drinks were pricey but that's to be expected. We also ventured up to the "Rum Bar" at the Frenchman's Reef, and really enjoyed the lowkey bar atmosphere (couches out on the patio overlooking the ocean). It was the only thing close that was open late, so we went up there a couple of times for drinks and music. The nightlife seems to be a bit lacking, so if you are a diehard party-type person, you'll probably be a bit bored here (St. Thomas).

Note that there is only 1 pool at the Cove, and although it is LOVELY, it was also loaded with kids the entire time we were there. I love kids and all, but it was obnoxious at times, and I think this place would benefit from having a separate kids pool (or separate adult pool). Also, the chairs by the pool become quite scarce by about noon, so you should get there early if you want chairs that are next to the pool. The pool DOES have a very fun slide though...and I'll admit to sliding down it quite a few times :)

Also note that there are iguanas...BIG iguanas...EVERYWHERE...so don't be alarmed. They will basically leave you alone as long as you don't have yummy food that you're waiting too long to eat. I found them to be quite charming by the end of the trip (see my picture of them eating lettuce!!!).

Overall, the people of St. Thomas were absolutely wonderful. Most are very friendly and seem to have a true appreciation for visitors and pride for their land. With the exception of the hotel front desk woman (who seemed to be without a personality), the rest of the Cove staff were wonderful, friendly and accommodating.

I would definitely visit again, despite some of the kinks in our trip.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
11 Thank mbamiss
richmond va
Reviewed October 11, 2009

Very, very nice. I have been to numerous resorts including at least 6 Marriotts. This is the only one at which I was content to eat every day. Far less crowded than other Carribean spots, too. Only criticism is lack of bus service into town...

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank surious
Colorado
Reviewed October 10, 2009

The price can be a little high but many found discount rates making this a great value for a night or two before or after a cruise or charter vacation. Trip fees to and from the airport are a little steep and a few extra dollars are charged for each bag you carry on the shuttle as well. The restaurants were varied in price and menu offerings, as well as being relaxed or formal and offering some great food at a pleasant restaurant at the beach. The beach and view were well worth the stay at the hotel. The rooms were spacious with coffee service in the room, something not always found when you know they hope you will join the breakfast crowd especially for your first cup of coffee, and more. Checkout in the morning was very busy so try to do it at an off hour if you can.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Marriott's Frenchman's Cove? Share your experiences!