“Night Kayak a Must”

Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Last evening we had a party of four do the night kayak adventure out of the resort. We had the
"A-team", Chris, Dave and Jake. They were outstanding guides; knowledgeable about the wildlife and the surrounding area. We learned a lot about the island, just from this trip. Good equipment, on time, all in all a good experience. you will get a little bit wet. It is not advisable to bring cellphones, cameras etc.that are not water resistant.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank HawleyPatent
Write a ReviewReviews (1,466)

Reviewed June 9, 2014

I'm not sure there is a bad view available at this facility. It was lovely to wake up to the great sight of the water and other side of the bay. We saw the occasional cruise ship come in or leaving too. We had a 3 bedroom 3 bathroom villa, love the convenience of the full kitchen which we stocked from both Pueblos and Gourmet Gallery. Used the grills one night to fire up some fish we bought at Red Hook. The pools were fantastic and the poolside grill had some decent food and drinks when you don't feel like cooking or going out. The hotel has several activities to keep you busy if the beach lounge isn't your scene. Tons of iguanas on the beach, all sizes and colors - really neat. Stay away from the trees if you don't want to be surprised by one when you're getting out of your beach chair!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alexandra T
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Dave was an outstanding guide! He was patient and knowledgeable. We had never been kayaking before and were somewhat hesitant. However, Dave calmed our fears and we had a great 90 minute tour of the sea life and history surrounding the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank beachteach57
Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

The villas at Marriott's Frenchmens Cove look very nice. There are double terraces, funky equipped kitchens, two bedrooms and 2 baths. Double vanity in the master suite, but when you add roaches to the mix, non of that means anything. The first one I found in the lovely white window curtains right before bed. It freaked me out so badly in was searching around the room for the next 30 mins with a flashlight looking for more.
When I didn't see any I turned out all the lights and went to bed. Ten minutes later I got up to go to the bathroom and discovered another one in there on the floor.
I killed it and called the front desk. Because my grandmother is with me I can't change rooms in the middle of the night so I have to wait till morning. The manager is supposed to call me this morning about changing rooms.
However, just a few minutes ago, I woke up to go to the bathroom and saw another one. This one was a tiny baby one!! Now you know there are problems, they're breeding!!
Its 6 I'm the morning, I'm on vacation and wide awake, paranoid!
On top of this, the room is noisy. Every time someone uses water next door or above, it sounds like someone is banging on pipes. All sorts of loud noises in the evening when we were trying to watch television.
Oh and the food at the sunset grill was terrible. I ordered nachos with chicken. It came with little dried out pieces if chicken on it. Tomatoes, jalapeños and some sort if cheese substitute. The "cheese" was orange in color and started to clump as soon admit began to cool. Amusement park cheese would have been better. ( Wish I could record and post the sound of the water running above me right this moment, someone upstairs is an early riser).
Be beck with updated a pictures a little later. Yes, I have at least one pic of the baby roach.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
27  Thank annpan606
Ryan N, Corporate Customer Care Manager at Marriott's Frenchman's Cove, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Thank you for visiting Marriott’s Frenchman’s Cove. While we are happy you enjoyed your villa and its layout, our team apologizes for the pests you encountered in your room. This is not typical of our resort and will be shared with appropriate managers. Our Customer Care team would like to learn more about your experience and may be reached at customer.care@vacationclub.com or by calling 800-860-9384. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

This was my second trip to St. Thomas, and my first to Marriot Frenchman's Cove. I loved it! The best pool I've ever been in, a terrific beach, great food (albeit a bit expensive), clean and comfortable rooms, and a PHENOMENAL staff!

The location of this hotel is excellent. Only a 20 minute car ride to anywhere on the island.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling with a family, a significant other, or a small group of friends. You'll have a great time!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with an ocean view so you can see the cruise ships coming in each morning. Try to...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Andrew C
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We just stayed one week at Frenchman's Cove. This is a timeshare property so note that if you are not an owner you will be given a room on a low floor with no view. Although the rooms are all ocean view, the lower floors do not have good views. Our view was of the parked cars. When I asked for a new room, I was basically told they reserve the good rooms for the owners. The front desk manager was really rude in how she spoke to me about this. Unfortunately, this was not the only rude encounter we had. The phones of the other Marriott properties are not connected so I went to the front desk at the neighboring Reef hotel and asked to use the phone. Juandella from the front desk was so rude . I think she was upset because we interrupted her conversation with another staff member. My mobile phone was left in the room and is now missing. The security team has yet to get back to me on the status. Marriott prides itself on customer service and these people did not represent Marriott very well. Fortunately, there were many others who made up for this. All the shuttle drivers were amazing. The staff at the spa were also great. I highly recommend a spa treatment at the Reef hotel next door. Also, there are concierges who meet with you and give you a welcome packet and info about restaurants, excursions, etc. They are super helpful. The person I met with made dinner reservations for me and gave me his cell phone number in case I had any questions or issues.

The pool area has a lot of daily activities, many of them catered to children so that was nice. My 7 year old had a ball. There were lots of kids so it is family friendly. Depending on the location of your room, you have to take 2-3 elevators to the pool and beach. It is annoying especially if you have to run up to your room but you do get used to it.

The rooms are spacious and have a full kitchen and a washer and dryer. I recommend you go to Pueblo market and buy some groceries. We bought food for breakfast and snacks. A tip would be to just send one person to the store as the taxis charge per person. Our taxi ride to the store cost us $48 round trip for a 5 minute ride. As you can tell, the taxis are expensive. We did not rent a car because The streets are very steep and curved and they drive on the opposite side so it seemed a little scary but many in the hotel rented cars.

The Cove has a 2 for 1 happy hour every day from 4-7. That was the best deal on drinks. The drinks are good quality and delicious. We did not have one bad meal on the island. The food is expensive but not any more than other islands. I would recommend Mims and Havana Blue. The sea bass at Havana Blue was amazing. Since Havana Blue is at the property next door you do not have to get a taxi.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor and closer to the pool. Virgin Gorga or Tortola are good buildings...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Sherry C
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Return trip after several year absence. Consistent Marriott product. Looking forward to the hillside pool to ease congestion if/when it is ever completed. Gorgeous views from the villa. Enjoyed the infinity pools next door. First time visitors who came along loved the experience.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
4 mi away
Point Pleasant Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End

Been to Marriott's Frenchman's Cove? Share your experiences!