“Another Review of Room 611”

Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Leawood, Kansas
“Another Review of Room 611”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

First, I'm a Marriott Rewards member with Platinum status and own timeshares at 2 other Marriott properties. One of my best friends is an owner at Frenchman's Cove. But because of my view from St. John building 1st floor, Room 611, my experience was not at all satisfactory. There was NO VIEW. There was no point in having a balcony because of the view of parked cars and the roof of another building. We couldn't sit on the balcony in the morning and enjoy the view because there was NO VIEW! We couldn't sit on the balcony in the evening and enjoy a drink or dinner and the view because there was NO VIEW!

Got home late last night, and I'm so upset, I had to write this review today. Last year while visiting Frenchman's Reef, I took the timeshare tour and made the mistake of purchasing a 4 night package to Frenchman's Cove. Never again! I was very unhappy with my view, asked to be moved, and was given the same excuse others have been given - busy season and owners get the views. Needless to say, I regret having purchased the 4 night package and I regret having wasted my vacation time. I'm disappointed in Marriott for attempting to entice me to purchase points (which wouldn't even be tied to Frenchman's Cove) by placing me in a unit with NO VIEW! If I purchased points and wanted to use them to stay at Frenchman's Cove, why would I be given preference over Frenchman's Cove owners?

I do have a couple of positives on the resort - sort of... The pool area was nice, but there were not enough pool chairs and the pool chairs really need to be replaced and upgraded. The rooms are nicely decorated, but the air conditioner is extremely loud. The lighting in the villa was bright, and the shower had great water pressure. Still there was NO VIEW!

Room Tip: Do not accept a room in St John building on 1st or 2nd floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Claudia M
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Frenchman's Cove, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thank you for your Tripadvisor review of Marriott's Frenchman's Cove. Our goal is to leave our owners and guests with great memories from their vacation. We apologize for not delivering on this goal as the view did not meet your expectations. We would be happy to speak with you about your experience and invite your to contact our Customer Care team at Customer.Care@vacationclub.com or at 800-860-9384. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to speaking with you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
florida,usa
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

We were recently in St.Thomas for a destination wedding where 26 of us stayed in a number of villas at Frenchman's Cove.
It was fabulous for everyone!
The staff was welcoming and beyond accommodating. Everyone seemed to have the same goals in mind- friendliness and excellent service!
The rooms were lovely, clean, spacious and very comfortable (including fully equipped kitchens and washing machines and dryers).
The pool and beach were breathtaking and were never overcrowded. The location of the living units to the hotel, pool and beach was very convenient. Also, the close proximity of the beach to the pool was perfect for us to watch our grandchildren snorkel and jump on the floating rock climbing wall that was in the ocean.
The pool was also great with its volleyball net and water slide - and we were also allowed to use the gorgeous infinity pool at next door Frenchman's Reef.
Besides the market by the pool that conveniently sold sundries and food we also had numerous food options - both at the Cove and the restaurant facilities that were also available to us at the main hotel.
The staff was extremely accommodating to our needs - providing immediate transportation for our 90 year old grandmother anytime we needed it.
Special thanks to manager Michael
Wilcox for his pleasant manner and attending to any needs we had and for helping make our stay so enjoyable. Thank you also to Karl at the poolside restaurant and for Marika for arranging and coordinating a fantastic rehearsal barbecue dinner for us on the beach - complete with s'mores!
Our stay at Frenchman's Cove was wonderful, and we cannot wait to return!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank jowell3
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We are time share owners and for the last 6 years have enjoyed the cove. Each year there seems to be a problem of what reservations promises and what the front desk delivers. This year the front desk was not helpful and had a poor attitude. When I talked with Francia Ruiz, she listened, and then made things happen. Although she has only been a manager for 3 weeks- she is a keeper. As a Marriott platinum elite member that travels for business this is one of the finest properties that Marriott offers.

Room Tip: All the rooms are with great views- Especially the higher floors.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Sequelinc
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Frenchman's Cove, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Our dedicated team is happy to read your five-star review of Marriott's Frenchman's Cove! Your kind words for Francia are appreciated and will be shared with the resort leadership team. We look forward to your next stay with us in St. Thomas!
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The grouping of these three distinct Marriott lodgings (Cove, Reef, Morningstar Beach Bungalows) is very attractive offering a variety of dining options, a day spa, swimming pools, sandy beaches and many activities. Unfortunately, I would describe our accommodations at the Cove as 'disappointing'. We were assigned a room on the 1st floor of the St John Building with a view of the next building's roof. We were told that no rooms on higher floors were available because the resort was 80% owner occupied for that week. Seriously, the Cove should require fewer Marriott owner 'points' for the first two floors in the St John building.
We also had an issue with the Cove's housekeeping services. The 'full mid-week' tidy service that we pre-selected was never delivered. We did have those charges removed from our bill after we showed the Front Desk staff our reservation confirmation and service request as well as their resort web page (they were not familiar with the webpage menu of housekeeping services that guests select from in advance of their stay).
The pool was very nice if you used it before noon....otherwise it was crowded and noisy (expected this because it is a family resort after all).
The ferry service to Charlotte Amalie was a plus. We noticed that the ferry would sometimes reach capacity at the Reef's dock which left the people who wanted to board at the Cove waiting for the next ferry. When we wanted to take the ferry we rode the resort shuttle (drivers were super - we used this service a lot) to the Reef and boarded the ferry at their dock.
We did attend an Owner's presentation and were fortunate to have a sales rep who did not pressure us to purchase more points. Those 'dollars' were put to very good use at Havana Blue - excellent service and great food.
Loved observing the iguanas, anoles and the occasional mongoose.

Room Tip: Must be an owner at this resort to get a room with a nice view during high season.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 1020SandyP
Thank you for visiting Marriott's Frenchman's Cove. As a Marriott Vacation Club owner, we take your feedback seriously and apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Please know, your comments will be shared with the appropriate managers as we continually improve upon the service we provide. Thank you again for your feedback and for visiting us in St. Thomas.
Centerville, Ohio
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I stayed at the Frenchman's Cove in May 2013. It was spectacular! After touring St. Thomas, I can easily say that the FC is one of the most beautiful places on the island. My friends are Marriot Vacation Club members, so it was the only place we considered staying on St Thomas.
Every room has a view of the lagoon. The only downside of this is that the hotel is situated on the side of a mountain, and there are many steps (or elevators) to take to get down to the beach/pool area. Although this was a small price to pay for that view!
The pool is great, and us adults had fun on the water slide! The beach is clean and beautiful! There are inflatable toys out in the lagoon that are fun for kids or adults. Recommend bringing/buying a floatie for the lagoon. Watch out for the iguanas. They are all over the beach and will come after your food!
The bar next to the pool has daily 2 for 1 drink specials, and a happy hour with music and drink specials. Our group didn't partake in that much because we went to Kmart and bought rum for super cheap, and made our own drinks. We must've had 10 bottles in our suite! Recommend packing a large sippy cup for this purpose.
FC is a time share, so don't expect maid service, room service, or any other extras. However, there are washer/dryers, dish washers, full kitchens, etc in the suites. Other than dish/laundry soaps and food, we had everything we needed.
Since I am not a MVC member, I went to the sales pitch. It was totally worth my 90 minutes! In return for my time, they gave our whole group tickets for the Catamaran snorkel trip. Highly recommend the Cat!!! It was definitely the highlight of our trip, and free! We sailed out to Turtle Cove, snorkeled with the turtles, had lunch, and drank to our hearts' content. It was a great time!
Night life, not so much. There are a few fun spots near the cruise ship ports. However, the place pretty much shuts down after the cruise ships leave around 6 pm. No need to pack fancy clothes because there aren't any fancy places. Honestly, the only thing you need to pack are shorts, swimwear, and sandals. Us ladies packed a ton of clothes that we never wore. I repeat, shorts, swimwear, and sandals.
One tip for getting around: Rent a car. There really isn't a whole lot near the FC, and you'll need to get out and shop for food and such. Also, you'll miss out if you don't visit Magen's Bay or have lunch at one of the local spots. But be advised: they drive on the left side of the road, and use landmarks rather than street names when giving directions. If you ask someone for directions, they'll be happy to help but will guide you using "the bridge to nowhere", "the Kentucky" or "the horse trailer" as navigational points. We got a good laugh out of this, but it took a few days to figure out where on Earth we were going!
BRING MOSQUITO REPELLENT. I got the dengue fever from mosquito bites on St Thomas. It comes with fever, chills, vomiting, all over body aches, and nausea. Not a fun way to spend my vacation, but thankfully it only lasted a few days.
Good luck and Bon Voyage!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Brandi P
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Last year, we stayed for ten days at The Marriott's Frenchman's Reef Hotel. At the end of that vacation, I talked with Timeshare Reps. and was intrigued enough to reserve 4nights in the "condos/villas" for this year. I was also interested by the ability to gain points since I already have a Platinum Marriott standing from business travel. So, this year, we stayed in the familiar Marriott's Frenchman Reef Hotel for a few days preceding our reserved time at The Coves Timeshare facilities.
This year, we traveled with another couple and our adult daughter. On the morning of our 'Checkout' from the *Hotel accommodations [(*Both were top floors & beautiful ocean views. And, my family's room was kindly upgraded to a 2-story suite bc of my Marriott Platinum standing.) On top of that, as a Marriott courtesy, Frenchman's Reef allowed us to refrigerate our remaining food/wines and kept our suitcases stored until we could check-in at the neighboring "Cove timeshare"], I went to the timeshare letting them know that we had an ALL day sailing venture scheduled and would not return until later that evening. I also left my cell number which they already had on file from previous calls. (Someone had marked our packet with a note saying *NO Contact Number Available...silly gal!)

As it was our first time to The Cove, first impressions were NOT at their best! We returned around 6PM, to the pick up keys and a room assignment. The hostess was distracted while talking to us and we had to wait for several other guests asking questions. She finally handed us our room keys and walked outside on the balcony pointing to the building which had been assigned for our stay. When she was walking to show us the elevators, she was interrupted by another guest and never did even point us to the elevator. Thankfully, we found it on our own.
To our dismay, our timeshare (611) was the farthest away from all amenities, had the views blocked by the buildings across the street, and smelled like garbage on outside patios bc of the collection location for trash. As a Platinum Member of Marriott initially interested in a Marriott Timeshare, this was a POOR marketing selection to 'entice' my wife and I. We expected much more for our first visit to the Cove. (Sadly, we left our Frenchman's Marriott suite with highest floor level and an ocean view with half of the price of the Cove).

All in all, the food is well prepared. The breakfasts were good, but they are understaffed for service during their "high season" (Feb.). Happy Hours were nice but lines went faster when 2 bartenders were available. Lunches were tasty and reasonably priced. As with the breakfasts, dinners were nice but they needed more servers per area. ( We were treated to a free bottle of wine "on the house", thanks to an observant manager after waiting over 30 min. to have our order taken for dinner...Thanks!).
The beach experience was "unique". The first afternoon was met with our friends trying to find available loungers and umbrellas and no one available for service questions. They dragged empty loungers into a row from an unused stack to the chagrin of an older Timeshare owner who claimed that we blocked her view. My wife finally took initiative and sought the help of the young gal in the Marketplace Gift shop (Thank You!). A male manager came out to help us directly after that (Thank You!). We never did even see the "beach guy" during our stay which bothered my wife who had been a Director at a beach many years ago and said it was a staffing problem. There is a need for more than one "beach-babe" to help alleviate the embarrassment of new guests having to deal with old.

The shuttle service is nice to the Frenchmans' Reef Hotel and their restaurants. And, Andrew from Louisiana was very polite and gave some US.southern hospitality in his area of service for curbside greets. Maybe Andrew could help train the front desk in hospitality and teach them to focus toward one group of people at a time.

We endured the 90min. talk of repetition hearing, "I am NOT here to tell you how to spend your money" , & " I've sold these to millionaires and to guys who spray Terminex" & "Maybe you are hotel people (Renters) instead of Timeshare (Owners)". My wife tried to make the 'marketing idea' that they should have impressed her from the greeting inside the lobby and in trying to "hook us" with beach views like the hotel did for repeat customers. His only reply to her was that it is "high season" and the "owners" get first-dibs. He upset my wife with his attitude; I guess he will never know if we spray Terminex or have millions!

We Love St. Thomas Frenchmans' Reef Marriott Hotel. We love the adult atmosphere at the pools of the hotel. We will return to the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't let them give you 611.No VIEW! It is too far away from pool and beach area. And it is on...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
7 Thank Bizman92
Thank you for visiting Marriott’s Frenchman's Cove. The experience you described is not typical for Marriott Vacation Club resorts and we apologize for not exceeding your expectations. We would like to learn more about your experience and invite you to contact our Customer Care team at Customer.Care@vacationclub.com or at 800-860-9384. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to hearing from you.
Loganville, Georgia
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We've stayed here twice and have no complaints. Clean, modern, great and attentive staff. They have fun things to do each night as well. Just an all around fantastic place to stay!! Will stay here again without a doubt!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
#1 of 5 in Cruz Bay

Been to Marriott's Frenchman's Cove? Share your experiences!