“Renovated!!”

Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We actually had a brand new renovated room @ The Cove -beautifully done! They were still working in our building (St.John Bldg) the construction crew always friendly & courteous while working there. The resort is outstanding amazing view from the villas. You can snorkel right from your beach there at the resort. Nice music every night for you to enjoy. Cristie the activity director helped us to plan our week out very nicely so we were not floundering around everyday saying what should we do. Having done that made for a great week planned out with great snorkeling on St. John, dinner cruise on the Cat, that was amazing, a visit to Coral world & snorkeling & doing the Sea Trek underwater walk on the ocean floor was a blast. Could not have had a better time in St Thomas.

Room Tip: Looks like all villas have a great view!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Barbar S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,465)

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Our family of 7 spent 4 delightful days here at Marriott Frenchman's Cove prior to a week on St John. We booked the unit through their website and using my brother-in-law's government discount got a great deal since it was the off season.

The resort is built into a hillside with each of the buildings "stacked" down to the pool and beach with a street in between. Our 2 bedroom was in the St John building, 2nd floor on the end. Even though we had views of the other building's rooftops below us, we still had an incredible view of the sea and Charlotte Amalie. As mentioned in prior reviews, you do have to go down the elevators of each building, cross the street, down the stairs, down the elevator, cross the street, down the elevator, cross the street, down the elevator to FINALLY get to the pool, beach and restaurant. Since we were in the top building...this was our daily trek and hoping we didn't forget something and have to go back to the room. It really wasn't a problem for us as I was told the lower buildings are reserved for the owners and I would expect the same courtesy if I owned here. Just wanted to put that out there because the physically challenged may have difficulties getting around. Also, you can call the front desk and they will shuttle you around the property in a golf cart. We took advantage of this for luggage and groceries.

OK, the 2 bedroom unit was clean, comfortable and spacious. The living room was tastefully decorated with a large picture window with view, comfy hide-a-bed sofa, 3 chairs, coffee & end tables and nice sized TV. Dining room table with seating for 6 plus bar and 2 stools. Kitchen was well stocked, stainless appliances, granite countertops and plenty of starter soaps, paper products and trash bags. We made good use of the washer and dryer and also the balcony with table and chairs.

Master had private access to the large balcony, was spacious with king bed, nice TV, granite double sinks, spa bath tub w/seperate shower and a private toilet room. Second bedroom had 2 queens, TV and access to bath with granite/tile sink and tub/shower combo. Also a small second balcony with 2 chairs and table for private time. All beds were very comfortable with nice linens and comforters. Loads of fluffy towels in each bath, plus seperate beach towels which was a nice perk.

If you have a special occasion, be sure and let the front desk know. My sister had a birthday during our stay and she was delivered a bottle of wine and a Happy Birthday song from one of the male employees! She was so surprised and what a nice and unexpected gesture from the management. Thanks again!

We had good experiences at both the bar and the Sunset Cove restaurant although they were pricey, but we were prepared for this. Happy hour is 2 for 1 drinks from 4-6 and on Thursday's again from 8:30-9:30. I did notice the drinks were served in slightly smaller cups though. The Sunset Cove has a nice buffet breakfast on the week-ends for $20 with the coupon included with your check-in packet. It includes unlimited mimosas and blood marys and omelets made to order. We knocked back 5 pitchers of the drinks and our server was willing to bring us more. Very nice breakfast that day!

They have numerous daily activities, especially for the kids. The water aerobics each morning was a blast, volley ball fun and kareoke was a "hoot" with rum for the winner. My sister also got a another bottle of rum for her birthday since we sang to her. Very nice!

The pool is nice sized and was never busy with tons of loungers. The beach is small and gets rocky for a little ways out. If you walk all the way down to the boardwalk, there is a clearing so you can access the water for a dip. They also had a huge floating rock climbing thing and trampoline anchored in the swimming area. The water taxi to town was accessed from the boardwalk and a delightful ride with a gentleman captain entertaining the passengers with history of the island and Charlotte Amalie.

There are shuttles to both the other Marriott properties next door. We took advantage of this to visit the Reef infinity pool and swim up bar. We ended up staying the entire day here! Beautiful view, fun people to mingle with and a very entertaining bartender that rocked the music all day and leaned on the liquor bottles! Had a blast...check it out.

Would highly recommend the Marroitt Frenchman's Cove. In fact it was much nicer than the resort we stayed at on St John afterward. I've noticed several comments about the employees being "blazae". We did not find this true at all, 'course our crew is pretty outgoing! They were all well mannered and hospitable, but if you treat them well, open up and talk and laugh with them...they are alot of fun...just sayin'!! Don't hesitate on this resort...it's a gem!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank pednurse
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

If your looking to stay in a resort and pay those prices you will love this place.. For sure this is not island time.. Food way to expensive. Service was horrible. I didn't come here to be judged by the staff..

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank New2island
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Frenchman's Cove, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share a review of Marriott's Frenchman's. While we appreciate your feedback, it is disappointing to hear about the issues with the staff. This is not typical of our resort experience and we would appreciate an opportunity to personally respond to your concerns. Please contact our customer care team at 800 860 9384 or via email at customer.care@vacationclub.com so that we can personally respond to you.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Comfortable and clean, sleeps up to 8, lovely view from the balcony of ships coming into port and lots of rainbows. The beach is small with some cozy spots. Water is clear and warm. Pool is plenty large for all to find a tanning spot or one in the shade. Poolside restaurant has delicious food and great happy hours. Scheduled family fun at the resort, karaoke night, or go out on one of numerous adventure tours for kayaking and snorkeling. Don't forget to spend at least one day at Magen's Bay and one day in Charlotte Amalie. Both easy taxi rides, water taxi to town is a delight. The resort is a quick drive from the airport, make sure to stop at the local super market along the way to stock up on essentials from sunscreen to beer to snacks. The shared beach with the Marriott is a nice walk or you can ride the free shuttle. The Marriott has several restaurants and all serve scrumptious meals. And if you're looking for a spa treatment, the Marriott has courteous, trained professionals for that, too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the top floor, all rooms overlook towards the water, the lower floors can have obs...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mar R
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We really enjoyed this property. The rooms are very nice. the beds are super comfortable and the units have all the amenities you will need to prepare food. My friend and I came down for a mom escape to lay on the beach, drink cocktails and read books with no children or husbands to tend to. The property is built into hills so there are many steps, staircases, elevators and shuttles you'll take over the course of your stay. I saw the review that mentioned mountain goat and thats very true. The Cove beach is smaller with less waves. There was a few drunk, smoking, loud yelling, cussing adult groups at the Cove beach our first day. I'm all for cocktails starting at 9 am on vacation but the yelling, cussing chain smoking was more like spring break in PCB when I was 18. Although I did drop a loud explicative when I was surprised by the 3 ft Iguana behind by chair! 2nd day we went to Morning Star beach which was a wider longer beach with larger breaking waves. It was larger so gave people more space between each other. Here I read hundreds of pages of a book with cocktails and loved St. Thomas. There are 2 restaurants I saw but the one in the lobby of Morning Star added an automatic gratuity to my single drink when I walked up from the beach. There are signs all over that say no cash, room charge or credit card only but this girl bartender took cash which since I wasn't prepared to pay in cash I didn't have enough to cover the gratuity which she wasn't concerned much since I think she was pocketing the cash anyway. One thing I will say negative is that all the staff seem pretty complacent to their job. It's a "oh well, guess I have to get your stuff, oh well, guess I have to make your drink, oh well, guess you have to sit at my table" attitude. Then, prior to checkout time I am not kidding when I write that 8 times the door was knocked on within :20 minutes as to when we were leaving. I commented that you just passed that lady that just knocked and that I can't pack for answering the door!
My HUGE HUGE tip is to bring bug spray. I was bit by sand fleas/flies the first night around 6pm while on the beach waiting for sunset. I never felt them bite. The next morning I had huge swollen welts that burned and itched. I went to the doctor and was put on an oral steroid and anti histamine the bite were so bad even after I got home. Wear the spray! Bug spray is $15 in the Cove store and spray sunscreen is $18. Do not make the mistake I made and think just since the sun is not high in the sky the bugs aren't biting. I was miserable due to these bites!

Room Tip: Higher floor above 3rd should give you ocean view. Lower floors will be below sight of ocean due to...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
9  Thank jeepinmudgirl
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The complex was small but well maintained. We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit that had not been renovated yet but, was still very nice but we had a partial ocean view due to looking at mostly rooftops even though I requested an ocean front accommodations. We were staying here compliments of friends of ours who are MVC members. The beach area is small at the resort but adequate. It was off season while we were there and a lot of restaurants were closed or closed early. A car is a must for exploring the island and other beaches. A day trip to St. John's is a must. We met with our personal concierge who recommended several restaurants that were OK but we did much better on our own. If you have Verizon as a carrier for your phone you will not have any service and our WiFi only worked sporadically.
Iggie's is a fun beach bar with good food as well as drinks at the Big Kahuna in the shopping district.

Room Tip: Either ask for an ocean front unit or a higher floor if you are in the units higher up on the hill
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed in Marriott's Frenchman's cove whilst I was work. What an amazingly peaceful part of the world. Everyone from the reception to the staff in the shops and in the bars and restaurant were just the model of customer service. I would definitely love to stay again, and even consider a timeshare. It was all delivered with an extremely high level of customer at the centre of everything they did. Top marks.

Room Tip: If you do not have this location on your bucket list, you need to!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
4 mi away
Point Pleasant Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End

Been to Marriott's Frenchman's Cove? Share your experiences!