“Mixed Feelings” 3 of 5 bubbles

Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Glendale, New York
“Mixed Feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Went with some friends for the week in mid-July. The time-share itself was beautiful, but the facility itself was poorly situated. In order for me to get from my St. John's Villa (I asked for a top floor to get a better view of the ocean), I had to use 3 elevators to get to the pool/beach. As I found the time share pools and beach to be very crowded, we went to the beach at the hotel, but there was no beach as the hotel is set into the cliffside. (And their pools were crowded as well.) So we went to the beach at the Reef, and there we were veryhappy! Only problem was that the internal transportation shuttle bus system had a two-tiered system -- one for the time share only and another for the hotel and the Reef. It took on average 20 minutes to get the proper shuttle. The 3 restaurants on the property that we did visit were very good (we cancelled at Blue Havana). We did eat locally at some nice restaurants: Mim's, Pesce, and the best place of all, Oceana -- this place is a must! It is pricey, but well worth it. The food was exceptional, and the view was spectacular! The Cellar was a 'New York wanna be' that didn't make it. And while we missed the show at Iggy's, we had fun despite our late arrival. I would skip the trip to St. Thomas, and would find another snorkeling trip beside The Cat. The trip was for 3 hours, but they only served you after the second hour. And while the house punch thereafter was flowing, there wasn't sufficient fruit or chips for the entire boatload of passengers. And the staff really was not all that nice, truth be told. I've been on over 25 catamaran excursions, and this was really the pits.

The shuttle and villa location issues did really take away from the vacation. But their staff was very, very nice, and the room very pretty, hence the mixed feelings. All told, I think I'd go back to St. Kitts or Aruba.........

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Rosemary R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We love our MVCI membership and this property did NOT disappoint. I read all the reviews and can't believe anyone would give it a bad review. We stayed in the Tortola building (high floor) and this is by far the best location on the property (in my opinion). Unobstructed views and easy access to beach, pool and Marketplace. We cooked most of our own meals and got our groceries at a place called Gourmet Gallery which is where most of the locals shop, especially for fruit, veggies and meat. It was more expensive, but we were not as shocked as i expected to be compared to US prices. We did have an amazing dinner at Havana Blue which is on the Marriott property next door, but also figured out the SandBar restaurant downstairs from Havana Blue has some of the same menu items and has a GREAT happy hour with tapas and a just a few short steps from the beach!! Something I didn't see on any other review is the lighted kayak tour that you can book through the Marriott and takes off from their dock. This is a nighttime tour around the cove and surrounding area of the Marriott property with kayaks that have lights around the edge and a GLASS BOTTOM so you can see all the cool stuff below!! We had a great trip overall and booked a day trip to Jost Van Dyke through ONE LOVE CHARTERS (look this guy up and see my review of that trip separately). Good luck and have a great trip!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Todd3737
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

We traded our timeshare in Orlando this year for a week in St Thomas at Frenchman's Cove and I cannot say enough about the location. The staff was friendly, helpful and obviously encouraged to make your stay exceptional.

The resort villas are well appointed with nice kitchens, great amounts of space and nice bathrooms. They also have washer and dryers which make packing fewer items and drying the swimming gear easy. The buildings are well maintained and you feel safe everywhere you go at any time of the day or evening. The resort is well located on the SE side of the Island and a great jump off point for visiting/exploring the entire island. I would recommend renting a car to make it around the island. It cost us about $350 for a full week and you will easily spend more on cabs if you venture out everyday like we did.

The pool, beach and the fact that you have access to the Marriott next door make this a perfect spot for everyone. We spend the days exploring the island, beaches, Charlotte Amalie and neighboring islands and then relaxed at the pool and beach at the resort.

While the kids played in the pool, I would use the natural gas bbqs, that were centrally located between buildings, to cook dinner.

We will try and get back to this location in the future as it is one of the nicest timeshare locations we have visited1

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a building close to the pool. Not a big deal if you do not get it, but it will li...
2 Thank colobrad1989
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed here for a week (July 7th-14th)...it was the perfect trip for our family of 4 (two boys, ages 7 &8). The property is laid out on a hillside - I've read other reviews about the difficult of getting to the lower levels of the property (i.e the pool and beach) but we didn't find it to be much of a problem at all. We were in the highest building (St. John) on the property and maybe only experienced a wait at the elevators once or twice during the week. The pool/beach areas is small-ish, but never felt too crowded and I loved the fact that I could really see my boys from anywhere (which was most likely to be on the slide at the pool, which they went down 1,000x). Our 2-bedroom villa was perfect, ate breakfast in every day, which was helpful (go to Food Center in Red Hook for groceries...clean and a large selection. Get ready for sticker shock, though!). Even though we were on the 1st floor (which is actually the 2nd as there are garages on the ground level), we had a beautiful view of the water. As some have mentioned, the furniture is slightly dated...didn't bother me since we really weren't there for the room, but I did see the planned renovations they're making to update the furniture, rugs and drapery, and it's going to look awesome! We received excellent service our entire stay and when our kitchen faucet wasn't working properly, there was someone there almost immediately to fix it. I have nothing but good things to say about the resort itself.

The resort had a lot of fun stuff to do...BBQ (really yummy) and fire show was so much fun, the kids loved the games and contests they had throughout the day, etc. We did rent a car, which personally, I don't know how you'd get along without if you plan on doing much offsite, and visited Magan's Bay beach (in the top 10 in the world), Coral World, a fun aquarium/nature center, and had multiple great meals at local restaurants (Banana Tree...pricey but excellent; Twisted Cork...great food and super-nice service; The Pie Whole...tiny pizza/pasta joint w/excellent food and great beer selection). The restaurant on site wasn't too bad, either...good fish tacos and quesidillas, and of course, chicken and fries for the kids.

We took the car barge out of Red Hook to St. John one day...the whole car barge was quite an experience (you should see how they pack the cars, cement mixers, trucks, etc. on there!), but nice to visit the beautiful island of St. John again. Cinnamon and Trunk Bays are a must!

We also had a great trip on the "Fury" sailboat...approximately 3 hour sailing trip to Buck Island, where we saw lots of sea turtles, etc. Captain Mike and his crew (Nikki) were great, kept everyone happy with rum punch and let my boys sail the ship. Would highly recommend them!

We were very happy with our both restful and adventurous week here and cannot wait to return!

5 Thank Pam T
Smithtown, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed at frenchman's cove for 1 week renting a time share and my family had a fantastic time. We had a room on the 5th floor of the st john building and the views from our room were spectacular!!! The 2 bedroom suite was very comfortable and we had 2 balconies and nice big screen TVs and room fans and central air. They have HBO too, a personal fave. The beach at this hotel was great and the staff and other guests were very friendly and we all had a super time. I am a sports guy and would have liked tennis or basketball but had no problem relaxing all week. The main setbacks are expensive food and if you take taxis, it can be expensive as they charge by the person. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. It was a great trip and we would definitely come back and plan to!!

3 Thank Rachel H
leics. UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

I have stayed at "Frenchman's Cove" on two occasions and could not have been more satisfied with the experience. However it saddens me to read the reviews which are quite blatantly referring to the Marriott Hotel next door.

I would very much like for people to be made aware that :-

#1. Marriott's Frenchman's Cove is a Vacation Club offering timeshare 2 & 3 bedroom villas with self catering facilities to a very high standard. As such it is not a fully serviced hotel so do not expect restaurants, daily room service etc.etc.

#2. Marriott's Morning Star Hotel almost next door is, as it states, a fully serviced hotel so in this instance do not expect full sized kitchens.

It is such a shame that these two very different holiday destinations are being reviewed as one and I wish it could be corrected by Tripadvisor so a more accurate description could be given.

I will send my full review in the New Year and I do not expect to be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank antonleics_UK
Danbury, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

I was surprised & disappointed in this property. I'm not even sure where to begin. The pool is on the smaller size, and the deepest it gets is maybe 4 feet. Worse, though, is that we had to take 3 elevators to get down to the pool. There were always plenty of free chairs, but there was no towel service, so you were out of luck if you forgot your towel, because you didn't want to trek back to your room to get one. Also, there is no wait staff at pool for food or drinks. The pool is abutted to the one and only eating facility on the property, though. Which brings me to my 2nd point, there is only 1 place to get breakfast, lunch, dinner - the poolside grille. There's not even a coffee cart to grab coffee or tea in the morning. There is nothing in walking distance of this property, so everything you do, you have to get a taxi. My best description is that everything you do here is done with extra effort and becomes a chore. I was not impressed with the staff either; for an island whose primary form of revenue generation is tourism, I was surprised at the lack of hospitality. I have no intentions to ever return to this property.

Room Tip: If you want to be near the pool, get a villa lower on the hill.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Heather W
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Frenchman's Cove, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
We are disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay at Marriott's Frenchman's Cove. The resort is not a typical hotel experience and provides guests with many additional amenities, services, activities and luxury villa accommodations. The full-service Marriott hotel is also next door offering several food and beverage options.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
#1 of 5 in Cruz Bay

Been to Marriott's Frenchman's Cove? Share your experiences!