“Excellent Property, 1st Class, Would go back”

Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My first trip to St Thomas, and this resort. The resort itself is only like 6 years old, so it's very new, and fresh, and great decor and VERY clean. Every day i was there, i could help but notice the maintenance and cleaning staff going above and beyond to make sure every detail was perfect. The landscaping and greenery are beautiful! Here's my key points about the property:
- It's on the side of a cliff, so know that. There are a couple buildings basically as 'sea level', and then one row of buildings higher, and then a third row highest. The highest ones have the best views (which is what we had) - but also the longest walk down to the ground level where the pools, beach and amenities are. Now, when i say 'long' walk, i'm only talking about maybe 3-5 minutes. It's not a big deal. So, if you want the most amazing views, ask for the high buildings , and if you don't feel like walking, ask for the low ones.
- Loved the on site gas BBQ grills (which were also super clean! loved that) , we ate in almost every night
- The pool and beach area was perfect for me, with kids and here's why. The beach area itself is at the same level as the pool. And it's not that wide, and it's boxed in on each side with rocks. So, i could sit in a beach chair and no matter if my kids wanted to play in the pool or the beach - I could see them without even getting up. And there's really nowhere they could go that would be out of my sight. I loved this, as a parent. I could relax, and they could play - win win.
- Some people on these reviews complained that the beach is too small. I didn't really find that. It's a 'Cove' , thus the name of the hotel. The Cove is cool. There's a coral reef right there! You can walk 20' from the pool and be snorkeling and see all kinds of cool stuff.
- We also went next door, to the Marriott hotel one of the days and swam there.They have many more pools and hot tubs, and more restaurants, little more retail space, if that's your thing.
- We also took a trip on 'The Cat', the catamaran which docks right there in front of the hotel. SUPER fun day trip. Those guys did a great job.
- In summation, this place is very well kept, has great amenities, great pool, cool coral reef, 1st class all the way. Really nothing to complain about of any significance. I really think anyone would love to come here, and have a great time.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank RockyP95
There are newer reviews for Marriott's Frenchman's Cove

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We have been here twice already and are going back again in 2013. The property is not huge and that is a good thing. Service is great. Amenities are good, and you have Frenchman's Reef hotel as a sister property. There is constant shuttle service to it or you can walk the path. The time share property is quiet and relaxing. The view while drinking coffee in the morning is great. The cruise ships come in anytime after 5 am. The island itself is great b/c you can easily go to St. John for the day, go shopping, or do absolutely nothing. I would rent a car while there as the taxis can be very expensive. The driving is easy, even though you drive on the left.

Room Tip: Request a high floor villa
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank kbrandley
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stay dates: June 15-20. My husband, my 13 year old daughter, and I completely enjoyed our stay at The Frenchman's Cove. We are a well traveled family, and we've stayed in all types of vacation dwellings in the carribean (all inclusives, cruises, and resort hotels). This is the second time we've stayed in a Marriott Villa. Both times (in different locations) have been very good. The rooms are not luxury here, but are very well appointed, spacious, very clean, and far above average. I understand they are about to have a reno pretty soon too, but nothing appeared to be in desperate need in our room at all. American television (Disney, nick etc) in all the rooms as well as DVD players. Kitchen with everything you could need.

The food (avg $15 per entree)and beverages (avg $7 per bev) here are reported to be expensive when compared to other places; however, I tend to disagree. I think it was pretty average in quality and price, and the portions are generous. You can buy liqueur in the market for a reasonable price. Rum is cheaper than the soda!! So, dont worry about taking this with you. There is not a gourmet restaurant on the site, but there are several next door at The Frenchman's Reef and Morning Star Resort. We did eat at Havava Blue and the food was nice, but the setting is pure luxury. It is not inexpensive to eat dinner here, but is well worth it. Make a reservation early and ask for a waterfront table.

We stayed on the resort most of the time (with the exception of a trip to shop at vendors square by The Morningstar-which is a water taxi -7$ per adult, and a trip to Magen's Bay-4$ per adult admission and 10$/adult taxi ride from the hotel) and we were completely satisfied with this few number of excursions, but there are tons more to choose from. I do not recommend renting a vehicle here if you've not been before. Driving here is quite different than anywhere I've been before because of the terrain. We took a sunset cruise on The Cat right out in the bay, which I definitely recommend. If you do the Hors de voures cruise, do not expect to dine in high style, but the 2 hour event remains unbelivably beautiful ($75 pp)

You should try to bring some "staples" from home like coffee etc as groceries are available on site in the market, but they are a little expensive. If you don't drink much alcohol, or if you have kids, they have a refill cup in the market for 27.95 that has unlimited refills. This probably seems steep, but by the time you get soda from the bar repetitively, it makes sense in the end. You can rent snorkel kits for $15 per day but its cheaper to just buy them instead for $22 and keep them all week. The UNO pizza was standard, but good. They will deliver it to your room which is nice. We did not do the BBQ, but in hindsight we will do it next time because the food looked and smelled fabulous! Don't forget to get your free Welcome Rum Punch coupons.

The water at the hotel bay is as clear as it gets. The pool is very close to the beach which is a HUGE plus. It is also very close to the grill/restaurant and bar. The bar and market do not accept cash, so you will do better to keep your cash in small bills for tipping, and take your credit card for other expenses. You will trek back and forth to your rooms a bit, but that really wasn't that big of a deal for us. Learn the name of the building you are in, as taxi drivers can drop you off closer that way. There are a few iguanas roaming around, but they do not disturb you. The chairs and umbrellas are plentiful, and at no additional charge.

The local people are extremely friendly, speak perfect English, and there were no communication issues. The staff at the hotel are awesome. Sule gave us an introductory presentation, and he was so very helpful. You will be invited to attend a Marriott information presentation, but no one was pushy about this.

We most definitely plan to go back to this amazing resort in the near future!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Nicole W
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed here for a week in hurricane season, and happy to say the weather was fabulous! The resort is very nice, but parking could be limited and challenging at times. The 2 bedroom with kitchen was wonderful, great balcony that overlooked the ocean. The pool area is good but beach area is small and not so great, however there are some other great beaches on the island like Magen's Bay. Like all Marriott Resorts we have stayed at, it was very clean with nice grounds, and a great staff.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank ParrotHead4evr
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed at the Marriott Time Shares in St. Thomas. The rooms were wonderful with superb views of the ocean. The food and drinks at the Marriott were very pricey, however, the local food restaurants were wonderful and priced reasonably: Mimms, North Star and Blue Havana had great food and service. If you go to Mimms, ask for Joan - she was our wonderful waitress at Mimms. The shopping downtown was great for jewelry - be sure to bargain with the merchants. One trip to take is the CAT tour of swimming with the turtles - it was excellent and the crew was wonderful. We had a great time in St. Thomas

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for an ocean view room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Darlene W
Reviewed June 10, 2013

As a Marriott Vacation Club owner, I’ve stayed at several MVC resorts and this one had some good qualities, but I also experienced a lot of problems during the stay.

I'll start with the rooms. We were in the Jost van Dyke building on the third floor. The rooms were nice; a little smaller than other MVC resorts. The views are gorgeous! The living room furniture is worn/dirty, though, but I understand they are replacing these. For some reason we weren't comfortable in our bed in the master suite, but that was probably us. I was happy with the usual lots of pillows. The master bath was also weird with the tiniest of rooms for the toilet and little shower.

One odd thing in the kitchen is that they don't have garbage disposals on the island. Apparently as a water saver, but I felt like I used more water cleaning up without a disposal than if I had one! They also don't recycle which is so strange for a Marriott and I spent a lot of time looking for the recycle bin!

We did see some subterranean termites in our room and we were on the 3rd floor, but hopefully they get that under control.

While checking in, the front desk person asked if we were celebrating any birthdays or anniversaries. I said, YES! We are celebrating both! She said, "ok". That was the last I heard of that, which seemed bizarre. Why even ask? Then I explained I had emailed with someone and had requested a villa near an elevator due to my father having suffered an injury & having difficulty walking. She again said, "ok". However, when I arrived at our villa, I found we were in the furthest villa possible from any elevator! She should have said AT THAT TIME, "I am so sorry, but we have NO rooms that are near an elevator at this time. If one opens up we can look at moving you during your visit." But, she did not say this even though she had to know she put me in a room that was as far from the elevator as one could get.

When I saw where the room was, I called to ask for another room. She said she was sorry and they would look to see if they could find something else and to wait by the telephone. I waited for 20 minutes, then called and was told that she and her co-worker had searched and no rooms were near an elevator. I asked to be close to the elevator, not necessarily in the room next to it, but they don't listen. She said if one opened up we could move. I explained that I didn't want to move once I got into the room, as we had been traveling the last several days and were tired and ready to be settled, so if they could find nothing else that night, then I would have my party bring the bags and move into the room and stay there. She said she did not have anything else in the resort (oddly the resort did not seem very full during my visit) but would let her manager know about the situation.

We moved into our room, got unpacked and were relaxing when she called later to tell me that her manager found a room next to an elevator in another building. At this point we had partially unpacked and had laundry in and I said we didn't want to move once we got in our room, so we declined. But, I have to question how a room was NOT available and 45 minutes later, WAS available. It was very frustrating.

Eating at the bar & grill was terrible. I sat for 20 minutes with the server looking right at me as he walked back and forth after my husband ASKED him if it was still happy hour and he never came. I went to the bar and he ran to the bartender to tell her I was at his table. She didn't hear him, so he told me he'd bring me the drink and I said no. He had 20 minutes to bring it and chose not to, so I chose to tip the bartender instead of him. We had the same server on more than one occasion and he was awful every time. Service there is painful, especially for the high prices for average tasting food.

The towel situation was awful. They no longer have pool towels in the rooms and they don't leave them at the pool without an attendant. The pool is open 24 hours, but the towel people are only there from 11am-6ish, although the hours are random and vary. It sucks trying to go to the pool or beach without a towel, so we kept fresh ones with us by the mid-point of our trip. At the pool the guy told me to call housekeeping from my room, but when I did, housekeeping told me to get them from people at the pool! Also, they need to replace the lights that are out in the pool. There are also very few lights AROUND the pool so at night it is extremely dark, which is a safety issue.

I could never reach the concierge when I had questions, but people at the front desk would try to help, except they are clueless. One example was when they told me to come in to get a map of Frenchtown. When I got there, the girl gave me an island map and said they didn't have a map of Frenchtown. I said, “Someone at the desk just told me to come and get it”. Another person showed her where the map of Frenchtown was. But, when I asked for directions to GET to Frenchtown since this was only a street map of the neighborhood, she looked at me blankly and asked, “Where do you want to go?” I just left and we found it ourselves. Some of the staff were mildly friendly, but overall, I did not feel that service at this resort represents what I expect from Marriott.

I could go on and on, but I don’t want to say it was all bad. I really liked the activities at the pool and how many activities there were for all ages. Yea for rum tasting! On Mondays they have a welcome party with rum punch and a bunch of vendors. During the week they have activities every day. The resort is beautiful and I LOVE the beach. It’s awesome for both swimming and snorkeling, with all kinds of wonderful sea life.

If you are planning a stay here, note that the buildings closest to the beach and pool are the Tortola and the Jost Van Dyke buildings, but I think you probably have a darn good view from any of the buildings. It's a fairly small resort so not too hard to get around and they have shuttles. You can also take the shuttle next door to the Marriott Frenchman's Reef resort and Hotel. You have access to their services, including pools, bars, restaurant and the beach at the Morningstar resort, which is a nice swimming beach with waves. I hae to say, I preferred the beach at Frenchman's Cove though... I seriously LOVED that little beach. BEST part of the resort.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the view. The Jost Van Dyke building and the tortola building are...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank ladyjadegd
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Frenchman's Cove, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

We regret that you did not fully enjoy your stay at our St Thomas resort. Your experience is not typical iof the service we provide so we would appreciate an opportunity to personally address your concerns. Please contact us at 800 936 6824 or via email at customer.care@vacationclub.com.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

2nd stay here - and it was better than ever. The staff couldn't be more friendly - it's just not possible. The view is fabulous. And it just "feels right." We visited the Ritz-Carleton at St. Thomas and, although it's beautiful, of course, the Cove is a better choice!
The concierge staff is just wonderful - thank you, Sule and the front desk staff!

Nitpicking: The beds were +/-average and new pillows would be on the top of my list....but the entire resort is getting a "soft goods" makeover very soon, with new sofas, chairs, carpeting, etc. - so not to worry about the "small stuff."
Kudos: Walk to Havana Blue (don't miss), Coco Joes (seafood buffet has all you can eat lobster and stone crabs....who has heard of such a thing?!), and of course, the Sunset Grill at the pool - you MUST TRY THE FISH TACOS and the SHRIMP. Excellente!
Tips: Rent a car, although you can still get around if that's not in your plan. Take the tours over to the BVI (passports required) (recommend "Bad Kitty") - sail on the CAT, visit the beaches, and savor every moment. If you can, stay longer than a week......you won't regret it!

Room Tip: I like the views from the Jost Van Dyke or Virgin Gorda buildings.....high or low, doesn't matte...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Point Pleasant Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Frenchman's Cove? Share your experiences!