“Comfortable”

Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
California
“Comfortable”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The Frenchman's cove was really nice. There was beach access directly from our room and the sunset's were great. The staff were always pleasant and respectful.
It is a good place to just relax, with all island places, things are expensive. We had the option to pay with a credit/debit card or charge it to the room. The activities were plenty and some did have a fee, but we stuck to ones that looked fun and ended up not spending much at all. The Rum Bingo was interesting and the water aerobics class was awesome! I wish I would have attended them all.
Overall, this was a good place.

• Liked — Ease and activities
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Irvine, CA
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We recently spent a week at Frenchman's Cove and generally enjoyed ourselves. The property is compact and relatively modern. The kitchen was very well equipped. We took advantage by making most of our own breakfasts and lunches. My sense is that many guests did as we did. The small restaurant by the pool never seemed to have much business. Simple grocery needs can be met with the store on the property, but a visit to a grocery is probably necessary if you are going to stay more than a couple of days. We went to Cost-U-Less.

We were on the 4th floor of the St. John building and had a great view. If views are important, you should seek a higher floor and/or placement in the Tortola building. St. John has a second benefit in that it's the furthest from the pool and the pool noise. One of the very nice features of the construction is that each bedroom has its own balcony. There is a plan to build one more building on the property. When the happens, the Tortola Building will get the brunt of the construction noise. It should have great views when it's completed.

As would seem to be case in much of St. Thomas, services are minimal at this property. Both the beach and pool, for example, have a sign noting that they are "open 24 hours." Personally, I like this (one time in Cancun, I was in the ocean at night and a hotel employee came up to my companion and said that the "ocean was closed"), but I think this 24-hour openness reflects the fact that the property does not really oversee the beach or the pool. There was no real sense that either was supervised. Services were minimal. The beach bar/restaurant didn't offer to deliver food or drinks to guests on the beach. Our room was scheduled to be cleaned in the middle of our stay; for example, but the maid never came. When we complained, we were told that the person we spoke to "would check and see what happened." There was no promise that the problem would be rectified (though it was). The property did offer pizza delivery, but only from 6 to 9 pm. Overall, I didn't mind the low level of service, but some guests might.

The beach is small, but never seemed crowded. There were plenty of recliners and umbrellas. Unlike other resorts, there was no sense that it was necessary to reserve a beach chair in the morning. One morning, for example, I was the only guest on the beach for at least an hour.

The beach is in a cove and the water very calm and clear. Many guests snorkeled. There is also a dock from which people were diving. The dock also serves the water into downtown Charlotte Amalie.

The pool wasn't too appealing to me. It was relatively small and more often crowded than the beach (they are right next to each other). There is a plan to build another pool (an adult pool) when the final building is completed. Although the existing pool claims to have an infinity feature, it is only a few feet above sea level, so the infinity effect is minimal. There is a water slide that was in continual use. We were told that guests could use the pool at the neighboring Frenchman's Reef. We didn't, so I would double check on this. It's pool was very nice and had a magnificent view.

I wasn't so bothered by the iguanas. They are a constant presence, but as long as you don't eat around them, they seem to leave you alone. They do like the shade, though, so they will move under the recliners in the bright sun. They seem to respond well to being told to move, but you do have to pay attention.

For what it's worth, I never had to wait more a minute for an elevator. From and upper floor of the St. John building, it could potentially take three elevator rides to get to the pool and ocean. There were plenty of stairways and the road through the property for guests who don't want to wait for the elevator. By the second or third day, I realize that I needed more exercise and would make a point of walking up or down a couple of times a day. Overall, the property never felt crowded. Perhaps at other times of the year, it is more so and the waits are longer.

Overall, our experiences were very positive. Having somewhat low expectations for services is probably wise.

Room Tip: High floor, particularly in the Tortola or St. John building.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank too_few_trips_1
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I was only here for a one night stay so I may not be a good review. I chose this marriott because it had the 2 bedroom units. We were traveling with 5 people. The taxi at first took us to the marriott hotel up the hill a bit and it was WAY better, there were so many people up there and things going on, people in the pool, there were places to get food, etc. When we came back down to the time share property there was absolutely nothing to do at all. It was dark out but the pool was empty, so was the spa tub and it was just....pretty dark out there. It gave you the impression that it was closed but it wasn't. The market was closed, etc. I didn't see any people anywhere. The building we stayed in was very close to check in, 2nd floor. There was a slight view of the water, very pretty. FINDING the way to the pool was really tricky, it took some detective work and it was DARK outside. maybe the outside lights weren't working. We had to ask several staff people. The staff was very very nice. They had a small snack shop open by the check in which saved our lives. Check in was very easy.
The rooms were very very big and very comfortable and chilly. Beds were really comfortable. It had a washer and dryer in the unit. The internet was terrible but no big deal. It kept shutting off and on. We decided to move on early in the morning and nothing was open for food, they said the marriott up the hill had restaurants, etc. It took about 20 mi for taxi to come.
So next time I would stay at the other marriott properties, not the time share property unless you really need the kitchen and extra bedroom. It was more like being in an apartment than at a resort or hotel. It was just so...empty. It was such a contrast to being at the hotel. There were a ton of kids at the hotel and the pool had lots of people in it and things were open. Both properties said that they were sold out that week. It's just that the time share place was deserted after dark.

Room Tip: Get closer to the water and higher up. It was tricky to find the pool from our building.
6 Thank Marypak
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Exchanged our time share through Interval, easy process !
Arrived on friday afternoon and I had not pre-arranged the ride to the Cove, to me that was a big mistake, when you ask for a taxi and they ask where you are going, they put you aside and until they have a full van, they don't leave, then you have a few stops on the way .......My first advice to anyone that is going to get around in the island and/or eat out is to rent a car! yes! the taxis really do charge per person and per luggage.

Check-in was easy and everyone was very pleasant, the villa is very nice, we were on the second floor of the St. John building, we could see the bay but also the roof of the lower building in front of us, so ask for a higher floor or a lower building and you will have a nicer view, though really it wasn't at all terrible.

Three elevators to get to the beach/pool area, we never waited for long, but for some people that may be a hassle, it isn't bad at all.

The Sunset Cove, outdoor restaurant by the pool is pretty good, everything we had there was delicious and we had great service, we found a waitress we really liked and sat in her section every time we ate there, the kitchen wings are nice and crispy though the buffalo are on the spicier side and we usually get them hot, the quesadillas were pretty yummy and the nachos were delicious and a huge portion, the burger and chicken fingers were good too and also the chicken wrap. We had the weekend breakfast buffet one time and didn't like it much, it is not worth the money and very limited.

The beach is pretty, there is some coral or rocks but they have a nice clear area where you can walk pass those, some people saw some sea urchins but we only wore our water shoes once, and realized that they were not going to be a problem, plenty of chairs, umbrellas, and iguanas... lots and lots of iguanas of all sizes, not my fav.

Convinced my husband (finally) to rent a car for the last two days on the island, highly recommend, the driving is not bad at all (even when you are lost somewhere in the mountain) we got the car in the morning and drove to Magen's bay beach, gorgeous to say the least, I think if we had had the car and gone out there earlier on in the week, we would have not spent much time at the Cove's beach, btw the showers there are salt water. The next morning we drove out to put the car on the ferry for a day in St. John, we had a blast and loved it. Stopped for an early lunch at Uncle Joe's BBQ which was recommended and we had the best ribs we've ever had and the best rum punch we had the whole week. Everyone stops at Trunk Bay, which is beautiful, keep driving though and you will find Cinnamon Bay which is even prettier and you wont find as many people.

My only complaint would have to be the pestering timeshare sales person, he had emailed us at home before we even got to the island, followed by a phone call, called us the first morning at 9:00 am, I politely told him that we were not sure what we were doing yet, he called the next 2 mornings, i let the phone ring and on the 3rd morning left it off the hook. They offer you a gift bag with coupons and maps which you can easily pick up anywhere, and really the coupon's aren't even worth your aggravation. (I guess I could have told him we were not interested, we did not want the gift bag and to please not call again)

We had an amazing time, and yes i would definitely go back and recommend the Marriott's Frenchman Cove to family and friends.

We ate at Old Stone Farmhouse~fabulous, highly recommend, Tavern on the Waterfront~delicious, go on tuesday night for $22 any seafood, Greenhouse~pretty good, best fish tacos i've ever had, Rancho Latino~delicious latin food, and the very best seafood pasta, Gladys~had breakfast there, omg the fish and grits was to die for.
RENT A CAR !!!!!!

Room Tip: request high floor
10 Thank Poohh66
Houston,Texas
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I had a bad experience with St. Thomas in 2007 said I would not go back....but this place changed my mind I loved it. The service here was out of their way friendly and it is a great place to stay. The great thing about this hotel is they run shuttle boat into the town so you can avoid the high dollar taxi rides. It is a beautiful resort that I really did not want to leave I will go back!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Felicia S
Okatie, South Carolina
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The Cove resort is beautiful and provides a great view of the harbor and ocean. Easy to get to from the airport - in general a very nice location on St. Thomas. Pool is small but nice, good amenities for family, van transportation to the Marriott is provided and the beach is clean and very close. Really great resort for young children.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Michael W
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed a week here and everyone in our group of 8 loved it. The children really enjoyed the iguanas, but one was pretty agressive and jumped on my daughter's lounge chair. We were advised to avoid wearing anything red, even nail polish, because the iguanas eat the red flowers and are attracted to anything red. They were great to look at, but I did hear reports of a few bites! Everyone at the resort was friendly, from check-in to the van drivers. We were always greeted with a smile & hello. I was not happy to find out we were going to be in the St. John building, but, it turned out nice with a fantastic view, we were on the 5th floor. No problems with the elevators and we made it to the pool within minutes. We used the pool at the Marriott Hotel next door a few times. The best trip we took was to the BVIs on the Bad Kitty.

Room Tip: High floor
5 Thank Shari_10
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Marriott's Frenchman's Cove? Share your experiences!