“A treasure indeed” 5 of 5 bubbles

Mango Tango Art Gallery
A TripAdvisor Member
“A treasure indeed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2006

I have to agree wholeheartedly with the first poster-Mango Tango was indeed a truly special place.

Jane spent several hours with me, sharing in my enthusiasim and really taking the time to help me find THE piece that needed to come with me. Turns out, 3 pieces NEEDED to come home with me! So much the better.

After perusing nearly every piece of art in her collection(which were reasonably priced I might add), we mosied over to the bar&grill that is just steps across the way from her, and enjoyed a nice plate of hummus and a tall glass of iced tea together and spent another hour chatting.

I had a glorious time the few hours I was able to spend on St. Thomas. I went home feeling like I had grown as a person, taken home a small bit of the island with me. Sure, a poster would have been cheaper, but far less satisfying!!

If you take a taxi to Mango Tango, which in all likely hood you will, arrange for the driver to to come back for you at a set time. I ended up with a ride from someone Jane knew, and as nice as he was to accomodate me(thank you!), his car was not air conditioned. It was truly a hot ride back to the ship as there was a whole lot of traffic coming back down the hill.

Thank you Jane!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Dallas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Sometimes the biggest nugget is a little harder to find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2005

If what you're after to remember your trip is the same old trinkets and baubles, you'll find plenty of those in the shops in St. Thomas. If what you're looking for is something special, something unique that can only be found in the islands, you may have to wander a bit off the path traveled by the rest of the crowd.

That's certainly true in St. Thomas. The shopping district is the most extensive in the Caribbean. We visited a number of the art galleries around St. Thomas and St. John and found some fairly interesting things. But the best thing we found was the Mango Tango art gallery on Route 38 between Charlotte Amalie and Tutu.

Jane, the owner, is quite gregarious and spent nearly an hour with us, touring the collection and giving us helpful hints on what to see on the island. We found a few pieces that we liked and she offered to ship them home for us free of charge. We bought a book about one of the artists and she offered to have him personalize it for us, which was a nice touch.

You can often tell something about a place by how they deal with problems. Unfortunately, through no fault of theirs, one of our paintings was slightly damaged in shipment. They took total care of the problem. We shipped the painting back and they returned it to the artist and got him to repair the damage with such care and expertise that you cannot tell that it was ever damaged, all at no cost to us. We were simply delighted with their response.

Jane has done an outstanding job of selecting only THE BEST island artists for her collection. As a result, the quality of the pieces that we found in her gallery was consistently higher than in any other gallery we visited.

If what you're looking for is a nice poster to commemorate your trip, you're best staying downtown at one of the gift shops. But if you want something special, Mango Tango is the place to go.

6 Thank USVI_BUM