New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“What a great place!  Affordable, awesome people, comfort, convenience and variety” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rhoda's Guest House and Tillett Hostel

Rhoda's Guest House and Tillett Hostel
Lyons, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

The perfect place to start your journey in the US Virgin Islands.  Conveniently  located in Tutu, close to Red hook, Charlotte Amalie and stores.  The Safari taxis run right by the front door and some of the island's best beaches are nearby.  Rhoda's Guesthouse is located in the historical Tillet Gardens which is an oasis of locals, artists, shops, a theatre and a full service bar and restaurant located in a beautiful tropical garden setting.  They also host live music at their outdoor stage through the Arts Alive program.  The accommodations are well done and everyone is very helpful and friendly.  I highly recommend Rhoda's Guesthouse to any travelers looking for a nice, affordable, interesting and convenient place to stay while on St. Thomas.  One of the owners, Abby made us an delicious traditional Caribbean home cooked meal during our stay.  A great experience, I highly recommend!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank CoryG79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Gambier, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Rhoda's for two nights and we wished it was longer. This place is unbelievable, and not to mention it has the friendliest people on the island. Abigail, the manager, was EXTREMELY helpful! She made us both feel extremely welcome and answered all of our questions. If you are traveling to St. Thomas, I definitely recommend staying at Rhoda's Guest House instead of a huge resort. The house itself is great. Every single room is unique. The kitchen and living room are both great. The blue coaches in the living room are extremely comfortable! The Bistro located right next to Rhoda's, inside Tillet Gardens, is also great!! They have the biggest and best burgers I have ever had. The bartender, Whitney, is also awesome. She makes one mean peach margarita. Plus if you stay at Rhoda's you get a 10% discount. If I ever go back to the Virgin Islands, I will definitely be staying at Rhoda's!! Thank you Rhoda's for one of the best trips of my life.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Jacob H
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

I loved my stay at Rhoda's! We initially picked it just because of its low rates, but soon realized what an amazing place it was! I would take the homely, welcoming, guesthouse atmosphere of Rhoda's over the Ritz any day. Abigail, the manager, was incredibly friendly and helpful, and everyone around Tillet Gardens was generally pleasant.
The house itself is very cool with funky decor, cozy couches, a nice breezy patio, and a great kitchen!
The bar is directly next to Rhoda's which is very convenient. Whitney the bartender is the best, she will learn and remember everyone's name, and even buy you a drink here and there if you're nice! The rest of St Thomas is nice of course, but we hardly strayed from Tillet Gardens the whole time!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Xavier P
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is a somewhat belated review, since I stayed here about a month ago. The property was beautiful, the food was good, and the beds/bathrooms/living areas were very clean--all in all a very good experience. I stayed in the hostel portion and had the place to myself for the night, though my impression is that they're getting busier.

My favorite part, though, were the people--I came to St. Thomas by myself for a few days for a job interview, and everyone was warm, welcoming, and very helpful in terms of getting around, preparation, what to do, etc. Salt of the earth, these folks. A friend of mine was flying down to St. Thomas a week later, and I insisted she stay here. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Cara C
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I am so very glad that I chose to stay at Rhoda's Guest House. It's centrally located and it was easy for me to get transportation to visit all of the Virgin Islands. The staff is incredibly helpful and friendly and the vibe is a comfortable, social environment. I felt so welcomed that I actually decided to move to St. Thomas. Thanks again to Rhoda's Guest House a place where you can feel at home!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JGeo848
St. Thomas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

My daughter and I also found Rhoda's guesthouse to be delightfully surprising, amenities galore-across the street from a safari stop to Red Hook and Charlotte Amelie( the local $2.00 p.p taxis circling the east side of the island), near stores and some of the best beaches on St Thomas. We loved exploring St T but also enjoyed taking ferries from Red Hook- 20 minutes! to St John, a quiet, natury part of the UVI. Our fearless host and hostess chartered a motor boat for us all- 6 people- and took us to Jost Van Dyke- bring your passports!-and Willi T's-,look it up...fabulous. I recommend this place for the hostel crowd but also exteneded families, they could rent the whole place and enjoy all ther aofrementioned amenities- thanks for everything, Abigail, Eric, Sonny, Aaron! we'll be back

Room Tip: we loved our room right off the outdoor patio, 2 double beds and our own bathroom!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

After inquiring about hostels in the St. Thomas forum, or "spontaneous, budget accommodation" as I referred to it, someone responded by telling me that the only place that sounded even close to what I was looking for was called Rhoda's Guest House in Tillett Gardens. That wasn't exactly the answer I was looking for, but I decided to look it up anyways. I came across their Facebook page and started reading about their story and checking out the pictures. I could immediately tell that this place was uniquely awesome, so I e-mailed them for more information. I got a response right away from the property manager, Abigail, with all of the rates and availability and such. Everything sounded fantastic, so it was a go.

Now, fast forward to present time as I sit on the plane back to the mainland... The name of this charming little place may be Rhoda's Guest House, but you are treated more like family than a guest. The hospitality that my friend and I received from Eric (owner) and Abigail (manager) was second to none. We've never felt more welcome at a hotel, hostel, guesthouse, or any other type of accommodation than we did at Rhoda's. As Abigail will explain during your tour of the property, nearly every square foot of the guest house has been completely renovated. All of the guest rooms and bathrooms are super clean and spacious, and there is A/C throughout the entire house. The kitchen is huge and fully equipped with refrigerator, freezer, stove, oven, microwave, and dishwasher. There is also a little outdoor patio with chairs and a grill.

Perhaps the most fascinating thing about Rhoda's is its place in the rich, artistic history of Tillett Gardens and St. Thomian culture. I would love to be able to explain exactly what I mean by that, but unfortunately that part of our stay is not something that I could possibly put into words. The only way to truly experience something that unique and enchanting is to see it for yourself.

That being said, I strongly encourage ALL travelers, whether you're on a budget or not, to check this place out. Aside from the fact that you're likely to pay more per day for valet parking at a resort than you will per night at Rhoda's, you're guaranteed two things: an unforgettable island experience and the friendship of anyone and everyone you meet inside the realm of Tillett Gardens and Rhoda's Guest House. Cheers!

• Stayed January 2013
#3 of 22 in St. Thomas
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa
#3 of 5 in East End

Been to Rhoda's Guest House and Tillett Hostel? Share your experiences!