“Great B&B with an owner that goes over and beyond whats expected.”
Review of The Crystal Palace

The Crystal Palace
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We spent a night on St Thomas at the Crystal Palace before we went to St John for the week. The place had great personalty, and the service was amazing. We were picked up from the airport and even taken to the ferry drop off the next day. Ron will definitely take care of you!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Crystal Palace

Reviewed August 25, 2009

I loved this B&B! Perhaps it's because I travel around the world photographing the decor of distinctive B&B's and hotels. But, I always find out that it is the owner that really 'styles' a place. This was the family home of Ron's, a 4th-generation islander who can fill you in on anything you want to know about the island. I stayed in a wonderful room with a 4-poster bed and antique furnishing while my travel companions stayed downstairs in less posh rooms. It was just like being hosted in a very elegant home perched up on the hill at the top of the historic (and shopping) area. I've included a slideshow of the Crystal Palace on my blog http://www.flashnomad.com that shows you the rooms, chic and cheap, as well as the setting. But, remember, it is Ron that will make your stay special as he goes out of his way to accommodate your every sightseeing wish.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank flashnomad
Reviewed August 18, 2009

St Thomas certainly has a full range of accomodations and this place is not for those looking for the huge, modern, all inclusive hotels. Instead, it offers reasonsably priced e accomodation in a charming location overlooking the harbor. The building itself could use a paint job and is slightly run down, but that only adds to its unusual character.
The rooms are spacious and nicely furnished old style. A generous breakfast - cereal, yogurt - is included and can be had in loggia with view of the sea.
The owner was very helpful and met our flight in order to ensure that we made it to the hotel easily in our rented car.

• Stayed: August 2009
2  Thank ParisWanderlust
Reviewed April 23, 2009

By brother-in-law, his wife, my husband and I needed a place to stay in St. Thomas before picking up our sailboat in Tortola. We stayed one night at the Crystal Palace and wished we had booked two nights. It was the perfect start to our vacation. Ronnie picked us up at the airport and was a gracious host. We had a lovely evening out on the terrace with drinks from the honor bar. Next time we book a sailing trip, the Crystal Palace will definitely be where we'll stay to start our trip.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank stephben
Reviewed April 6, 2009

I am perfectly happy with the stay at the Crystal Palace! No better place on the island!
The host is THE BEST on this island, has a great sense of humour! He not only picked me up and saw me off at the airport on time free of charge, but also drove me to places when he was going to the same direction, and one time he went out of his way to sent me to a destination on the other side of the island 30 minutes away.
Ronnie is well-known on the island, Very honest, polite, tried his best to protect me from this or that kind of situation, which I really appreciated!! He ensured me a Very Safe and Happy stay on the island, I very much look forward to going back before Christmas this year!
The breakfast has a good selection, Ronnie also adjusted the breakfast time for me when I had to have it early. He is flexible and responsible for sure.
If you're on the island, make sure you stay at Crystal Palace! I will stay with Ronnie every time I visit STT!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank adventureca
Reviewed March 6, 2009

We stayed here twice on our recent trip to the Virgin Islands. Once was planned and once wasn't. The planned stay was upon our arrival, when we were picked up at the airport by Ronnie, the host, and enjoyed the charming old mansion for an evening. It's located up on a hill overlooking downtown Charlotte Amalie and the Caribbean -- no more than a 5-10 minute walk to everywhere. Perhaps even better was our unplanned stay of an evening at the end of our trip. Our flight had been cancelled, so we called Ronnie to see if he had any rooms available for us and our friends, who had also been stranded at the airport. His housekeeper, who is a charming lady herself, returned from her own house to prepare our rooms at the last minute, and even a couple of Ronnie's friends staying with him sprung into action to prepare a rollaway bed to make sure our friends would be accommodated as well. We will definitely return on our next trip!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JayBos
Reviewed January 24, 2009

although the proprietor is very charming and helpful, the facilities leave much to be desired. there was no hot water during 3 of our 4 showers, the shower floor was literally black, and the overall ambience was of a third world youth hostel. however, the location was close to the shopping district.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)