“Great people!”
Review of The Crystal Palace

The Crystal Palace
Reviewed September 5, 2011

The owners and manager are awesome friendly folks. They will give you the inside scope on everything and show you a great time.
You can arrange to be picked up at the airport or ferry dock at no additional charge. This is a great value after a long day of traveling.
The location is pretty good. You have to traverse a steep hill but you can walk to town for shopping and dining. The rooms have a lot of character and the bed was comfortable.

The view from the balcony is spectacular. And the history of the place is mind blowing.

Here are some suggestions for improvements.
The yard and landscaping needs some major cleaning up and updating. The trees have overgrown around the house and there is a lot of trash bags and debris in the yard.

I love dogs, and they stayed outside the entire time I was there, but it's important to clean up after them quickly and regularly if you are renting rooms to guests. It got a little smelly.

Make sure the continental breakfast is updated daily. A few boxes of the cereal were old. And the juice was a bit old.

When I have stayed in B&Bs in the past, I typically have the bed made and perhaps fresh towels laid out. This did not happen.

I'm used to roughing it a bit so I personally would stay here again. Primarily because I thought the owner and manager were really cool. But I would like to see a few improvements before I could recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank SankofaOdyssey
There are newer reviews for The Crystal Palace

Reviewed May 23, 2011

We went to a wedding in St. Thomas a few weeks ago, and stayed at the Crystal Palace. The service from the beggining was outstanding. Ronnie (owner) met us at the airport. Once we picked up our rental, we followed him to the location. Just driving up the steep hill, and remembering to stay on the left was an adventure! Once we arrived, we were pleased with the accomodation, service, kindness and generosity of Ronnie and his staff. The hotel was clean, and centrally located to downtown. If you are staying at the Crystal Palace, you will enjoy yourself to the fullest! We definately plan to go back one day!

Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Lamont41
Reviewed November 5, 2010

Really unique and full of history. Honor bar for drinks, great breakfast, super view from the patio. The caretaker, Ronnie, is totally helpful and fun. Almost like you are visiting friends. If you want a chrome and glass, overpriced stay, this is not for you. If you want to appreciate what St Thomas for it's hospitality and history, then this is the place for you. What B&B has Marilyn Monroe watching over the MG in the garage? We will stay again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2010

We stayed here just one night on our way to Anegada BVI. I think my husband and I were the only ones there that night. My husband got up for breakfast (I didn't) and he got to meet Foxy and his daughter. (If you know the Carrib, particularly the BVI, Foxy, of his bar with the same name, is a local celebrity). My husband got a nice private guitar concert from Foxy while he ate and chatted with Foxy's daughter and the innkeeper. Rooms were neat old high-ceiling Carrib-Victorian type with some antiques here and there. Nothing in the Carrib is the cleanest ever since there is always sand or a humidity to sully things a bit, so it was decently clean, as can be expected. It was a little bit of a hike to get to the place, but worth it for the great view. All in all a good time and we'd recommend it to others.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Boombafam
Reviewed March 29, 2010

We - my husband, my two sons and one of their girlfriends - stayed at the Crystal Palace for one night following a bareboat charter in Virgin Gorda. We had a flight from St Thomas the next afternoon and it was most convenient to just stay there the night before. The owner - Ron - and his daughter are absolutely charming and will make you feel right at home. As mentioned by others, Ron seems happy to pick up and drop off at the airport/ferry which is a great convenience. He's like a slightly wacky uncle who will take good care of you. The house itself if a beautiful example of old Caribbean architecture and has been in his family for a few generations. Some of the furnishings are extraordinary. The view from the back terrace over the harbor is delightful and we spent most of our time there, chatting with other guests. While the house has a perhaps slightly run-down feeling to it that really doesn't detract from its charm. It would be a perfect place to stay if you were traveling alone as you'd have instant company with the other guests and a skilled tour guide and advisor with Ron. While the hot water was a little skimpy I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Mskathy
Reviewed March 23, 2010

I'm not a big fan of St. Thomas as it's too built up and crowded for me. But staying at the Crystal Palace was a good alternate and offered a closer glimpse of what St. Thomas is really like for someone other than a tourist as its tucked into a side street up a hill from the harbor. I would liken the property to more of an inn or a B&B than a hotel but either way, I felt comfortable and safe at the Crystal Palace and the rooms were clean. While there was paint peeling in the bathroom there was a charm about the place I appreciated. The owner was also nice and helpful. Perfect property for those traveling to other islands and only in town for a few nights.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BeachvsMountains
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We spent a night on St Thomas at the Crystal Palace before we went to St John for the week. The place had great personalty, and the service was amazing. We were picked up from the airport and even taken to the ferry drop off the next day. Ron will definitely take care of you!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple