“Royal Treatment at The Green Iguana Hotel”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charlotte Amalie
The Green Iguana Hotel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My only regret in this review is that there is NO rating beyond EXELLENT. My wife, Marilyn & I were treated to an unforgettable vacation experience at The Green Iguana Hotel in St. Thomas USVI. The resident managers, John & Gwen Pittman, are certainly to be commended for their hospilality and attention to every detail to make their guest feel at home and able to enjoy all the nuances of "Island Living". We were directed and accompanied to some of the "Native" events and restaurants as well as the wonderful "Touristy" points of interest.
While there; St. Thomas experienced some of the worst weather and heaviest rains they had seen in years, The upside of that was we were able to relax, nap, get some reading in, and enjoy some unbelievable lightning shows and views of the bay and harbor from our balcony, for a couple of days, that very few guests have the opportunity to see.
A couple of days before we had to leave the Pittmans arranged for us to take a day cruise with one of their friends at "Oh Be Joyful Sailing" under the direction of Capt. Dave Parker with 1st Mate Jocelyn, and 2nd Mate Sophia (an absolutely delightful sea dog). We were treated to a great tour of the waterways around St.Thomas and the surrounding islands, we anchored in the shelter of a gorgeous island and snorkeled in asure blue water while Capt. Dave and Jocelyn prepared a gourmet meal of grilled salmon and 2 in thick pork chops, local "island"salad
and decident dessert.
All in all I cannot think of anything that could have made our visit to The Green Iguana Hotel any more enjoyable......it will be fondly remembered until our next visit to "The Islands".
Ron & Marilyn Langenheder
Ovilla, Texas

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room with a balcony to enjoy morning coffee with a view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RonLangenheder
John-Gwen P, Manager at The Green Iguana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Awww... your comments make our smiles very big! Ear to Ear! Enjoying the beautiful views is only part of the fun here on St. Thomas. There's even fun OFF St. Thomas, in the beautiful waters and what is beneath the surface! We enjoy snorkeling from the beaches, but most of all we enjoy snorkeling from the boats! Cap't Dave knows all the great places to snorkel and Jocelyn is by far one of the best cooks on the island! We have been out with them and would only suggest the sails and other activities we have experienced. We hope you will return soon for more fun in the sun and relaxing on your balcony should the rains come! Please keep in touch!

Reviewed November 13, 2013

It's been 35 yrs since our last visit to St Thomas, the hotel we stayed at then was no longer there thanks to hurricane hugo. We stayed closer to town this time at The Green Iguana Hotel, thanks to the hotel managers Gwen and John we had a wonderful stay, just not long enough! They were able to help us see a lot more of the island then when we were there last time. Would love to go back sooner than the 35 yrs gap of this trip and would love to stay at The Green Iguana Hotel again!

Room Tip: They have pictures of all their rooms on the website, and they all have a great view!
1  Thank bmcgee58

You are right, 35 years is too long to stay away from St. Thomas and the Virgin Islands! We DID find exactly where your hotel was, and will be sending you a photo of the location as it is now. Thanks for joining us on the snorkel day to BVI! We don't often get to enjoy activities like that with our Guests, thanks to our great relief managers for allowing us the time away with you! There is so much more to see and do, we hope you will celebrate many many more anniversaries here with us in the beautiful Caribbean! Happy Anniversary!

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I've been reviewing this hotel for years now, and all I can say is it it's a great place that somehow manages to keep getting better!

John and Gwen are probably the nicest people you could hope to encounter on-island. They'll go completely out of their way to make you feel at home, and you can tell they they really enjoy connecting with the people that stay there. They're more like family than hotel managers, and I'm happy to count them among my friends.

As far as the hotel itself, in my opinion it's the best value on-island. For a third of the price of staying at the mega-resorts on the beach, you can have a room that once you're inside is just as nice if not nicer, and because all VI beaches are public, you can go use the mega-hotels' beaches for free. It's a secure location, I've never felt unsafe inside. And if you're traveling on business, the wifi at the Green Iguana is awesome. I'm able to do all my work, including a VPN connection, with no problem.

Oh, and if you're into going green, they're just about done with the process of switching over to solar power! Pretty cool, especially if you know anything about WAPA down on-island and the stranglehold they place on the residents there. Kudos to John & Gwen for breaking free from that!

This is the best place to stay on St. Thomas, trust me. I've been here at least 10 times now, and I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank SoxWin09
John-Gwen P, Manager at The Green Iguana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Hello again SoxFan! (Congrats on the '13 World Series win!) Thank you so much for continuing to trust The Green Iguana Hotel for your frequent trips to St. Thomas! the wireless internet connections in our Guest Rooms are high on our priority list, and we have one of the best IT Techs on-island! We know how important the internet is to conduct business when you are away from your office. We always look forward to your visits! It is like having an old friend come to spend a few days with us! See you soon!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

A secret gem nestled on the island of St. Thomas is what I wanted for my post-bachelorette celebration; it was achieved by selecting ‘The Green Iguana” hotel. The week would not have been successful without the help and daily assistance of resident managers, Gwen and John - our new family members!

There were 16 ladies who traveled from FL, GA, VA, PA and NJ; we occupied seven of the nine rooms. The arrivals were between 10/8 – 10/10 and departures began on 10/13, ended on 10/15. We hired a taxi for our entire stay, who accommodated all our travel needs with the utmost professionalism – Leroy’s Taxi @ 340.677.1936.

If there were any accommodations needed while we were guests at The Green Iguana, they were satisfied. One guest ran out of wine, and didn’t want to go to town so she went to get a bottle from Gwen and John, in the late evening. Each room was stocked with a beach towel for each of us (one less thing we had to worry about weighing down our luggage).

No room was a bad room; they all had their own special charm. If you wanted a wonderful view you got it, and that goes for a balcony too. One of my guests requested no stairs to accommodate her scooter, which was parked right near her door, and she was very pleased. I was the lucky one with the full kitchen, balcony and the view! We were all HAPPY with our accommodations.

Oh yes, an added plus for The Green Iguana is they are a “green” hotel, with solar panels and power inverters – this made several of my guests even happier that I selected The Green Iguana as our home away from home!

We were able to walk to town and back, at our leisure, using the 99 steps route. It was a fun, safe, and picturesque route. We dined for breakfast at several eateries within walking distance, including (but not limited too) Bumpa's, Glady's Café, Jen's Gourmet Cafe & Deli and a vegan spot that I forgot the name of.

The ladies want a repeat and I must make it happen. It will be easy because I have two items known for sure 1) our hotel will be The Green Iguana, and our transportation will be 2) Leroy’s Taxi.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kren_VMW

K'Ren, your idea for a destination celebration was incredible! Thank you to your island friend for telling you about us! Form the first time you called to ask if this would be possible, we just knew this was a great idea! It was nice to see so many friends get together to share rooms and experiences of the Virgin Islands! We were happy to help you with your questions, concerns, and to hear all about "last night's great time!" All 17 of you said you would be back. We are counting on it! Who's the next to get married?

Reviewed October 24, 2013

The views were great. The staff was accommodating and friendly! We had a kitchenette which made some meals much more affordable. Also, the wildlife was a plus, great entertainment! You can't beat the price for taking only the 99 steps to downtown! Loved it!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
John-Gwen P, Manager at The Green Iguana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Yes the Historic 99 Steps into Town! Have you found the other step street, know locally as "the white steps?" (because they are painted white) They are a little easier to walk back up! Of course when you are inside The Green Iguana Hotel, the steps are minimal. Only 3 of our 9 rooms require you to climb steps to your room. Get your exercise, and then come relax in the gardens! Remember, along with the rooms with kitchens, you may use the barbeque patio to prepare your meals too! Or borrow any of the small appliances from the office! We are happy to help in any way we can!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Green Iguana Hotel is now my home away from home thanks to Gwen and John they were exceptional host,I stayed five night and six days, it was 17 of us in all we asked them million questions they were very professional and accommodating, I must say thank you again to Gwen and John you made our trip pleasure, the view from my room was awesome, love the flowers, iguanas and mr turtle too.

PS. Thank you again to my friend K'ren for the invite, you are more than that, you are my sister....

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank PatriciaD102013

All 17 of you were having so much fun celebrating your dear friend's marriage! Just a few more and you would have had the entire hotel! Thanks for being patient with us in learning all your names! Next time, name tags for sure! We hope you'll come back "home" for a visit often! We loved having you!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

...and Gwen and John are the perfect host.

I stayed at the Green Iguana on the front end (Friday & Saturday) of a reserved timeshare week at the Marriott's Frenchman's Cove. I had stayed at the Green Iguana on a prior trip to St. Thomas (six years ago) and remembered how convenient it was to downtown Charlotte Amalie - just an easy stroll down the 99 steps. My return visit was as if I had never left, yet this time I actually hung out some with the new resident managers, Gwen & John, and experienced a small glimpse of their daily life on the island.

The convenience of location was the main reason I decided to stay at the Green Iguana on Friday and Saturday versus simply staying at the Marriott. However the hospitality of Gwen and John during these two nights is the main reason I will be booking a few nights when I return to the timeshare. It adds so much to the full experience of visiting St. Thomas to spend a few nights outside the confines of the Marriott resort and actually experience life on the island thru the eyes of the locals.

In addition to chatting with Gwen and John at The Green House bar/restaurant while enjoying dinner (conch chowder), we sat outside one evening at the hotel and just relaxed with good conversation and Presidente beer.

We stayed in A-5 (top floor, king bed) and loved the view of downtown from our sitting area. We both really enjoyed this area of the room and I remembered why I preferred these rooms (with the sitting area) over the ones with the balcony - it's because it gets very hot in October in St. Thomas. The balcony is nice at night, but during the day I prefer the screened sitting area...and the air conditioner. In addition, the small refrigerator in the room was all we needed, as was the coffee maker.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting St. Thomas and in particular those with reservations at the Marriott. It really does add to the experience of the overall visit to have a few days/nights where you can simply walk to/from downtown versus taking the ferry or taxi from the Marriott, particularly since both charge $7-8 per person each way to/from downtown.

Room Tip: I prefer A-5 & A-6, top floor, sitting area (versus balcony)
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

How many ways can you say 'Thank You' for such wonderful reviews! One of the reasons we accepted this "job" is our love of people! Everyone who visits is happy! We love being around happy people! While we do not have the lush amenities of your timeshare, we do offer a bit more of Caribbean history, especially in our location! Our hope is that more Guests enjoy the gardens and even introduce themselves to other Guests! We promise to do everything possible to see that A5 or A6 is available to you anytime you visit! Just remember no matter what room you choose, the sunsets are beautiful!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
Galleon House Bed & Breakfast
Galleon House Bed & Breakfast
#7 of 13 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to The Green Iguana Hotel? Share your experiences!