“Dis bee Good, Mon! (VERY Good!!)”

Pavilions and Pools Villa Hotel
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I just got back from St. Thomas, having stayed at the Pavilions and Pools Villa Hotel.
We thought that it "might" be cool, from the reviews and pictures and location. IT WAS AWESOME!! The hotel staff was great; the bartender was fun; the room was one of the best that we have EVER stayed in. This was our one year anniversary, and it really, really made the occasion memorable. We loved our location on St. Thomas, and WILL definitely return. The private pool was so cool... and the BBQ, the full kitchen; the room and the shower with "jungle plants growing right next to it..!" Hey: this was an A+++ :-)

Room Tip: Spend a little extra and get the bigger room... it is very much WORTH it!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mateo1961

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We spent 4 nights in Pavilions and Pools prior to taking a Seabourn cruise in the Caribbean. We found the staff friendly and helpful. Our deluxe suite was clean and quite different from the usual rooms we have visited. Each suite is completely private with a private pool, a fully equipped kitchen and an outdoor BBQ as well. The bedroom and living areas are seperate with sliding doors leading to the patio and pool. There was comfortable seating outside and bouganvillia growing up along the high cement walls surrounding the unit. We had a view down a steep hill to the ocean and enjoyed having drinks outside watching the yachts in the harbour. There are mosquitoes but they were only bothersome at dusk. It was not luxurious, could have used some upgrading and perhaps more rigorous maintenance and there was no room service but it was very quiet, the local ocean beach was a short walk away and the safari bus stopped at the entrance to the complex. We enjoyed the couple of times we ate at the casual restaurant and the staff was always able to order a taxi to take us to other restaurants and attractions.
After we returned from our cruise we stayed at another hotel for a day and it was far less attractive and cost considerably more.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank PatandHugh
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Well, I was there the same weeks as Emily the previous reviewer. My experience was not the same. The staff was very unfriendly. They acted like I was annoying them if I called with questions. Their responses were very rude. I ate the same fish and it was very good! The deck the restaurant is on moves when you walk on it. It does not feel safe. The restaurant was not staffed well but the chef had just died. The bartender acted frantic trying to keep up with ice and limes??? The grounds are not well kept. There are old appliances that need to be removed. The road noise is pretty awful. Probably better in an international unit? We moved out 4 days early but it was mostly because of the mold smell in the room. The odor was very strong. There was a lot of mold outside around the pool area too. I never went in the pool because of the black stains. The bartender needs to be a little more discreet if she's not ringing up sales. The cash register drawer was never closed and I'm not sure what the cash sharing agreement was? It just looks pretty tacky. Donovan should not be behind the bar in his white t-shirt either. Especially after a few beers. Just saying!

Room Tip: Stay at Bluebeards Castle
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tclark56
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was a trip which we just returned from on Sunday the 20th of January. We cannot think of anything which wasn't perfect there!

We stayed in an International room, and the space was beautiful and fully functional. It was more like an apartment than a hotel. The pool outside was possibly one of the best features, as was the privacy, and OF COURSE the AMAZING staff at the restaurant!

Tina the chef, Donovan and Jodi the bartenders were all fabulous. The food was great, and the drinks were generous... Each of them is special and unique, and their hospitality was phenomenal. One evening a freshly caught 39 pound Mahi Mahi fish was delivered for lunch and dinner the next day (there is nothing fresher than that).

It was a magical place and we hope to return soon.

Room Tip: The International villas have lovely pools!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Emily D
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I just got back from my stay and I absolutely loved it. The room was large and had everything you would need to relax comfortably. Yes, as some other reviews stated it could use some updating. A few tiles in the pool are missing and it could use some new grout and scrubbing in a few places here and there and in the apartment as well. Some of the lights wouldn't turn on and if we were staying for more than one night I would have gone to the front desk about it. I figured because we had paid a much cheaper rate booking on a travel site they had given us a more down-scale room.

Even then though, both my boyfriend and I enjoyed it. After looking at some pictures I realize that each room is a bit different. Despite the needed renovations though, I would probably ask for our room again cause I loved it so much.

Oh yes, one slight drawback. The restaurant. The website for P&P needs to be updated cause that Taco place is not there anymore. Instead there is another restaurant (I didn't even get the name). Service was slow; but the food was decent and so were the prices for what we ate. Main recommendation: DO NOT STAY TO EAT. The mosquitoes are absolutely HORRIBLE. I was wearing long pants and they absolutely went after my feet. I'm used to mosquitoes but this was absolutely ridiculous. I guess this is why they give you everything you need other than food to cook a meal inside the apartment.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TohoCassie
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Just returned from a five night stay at Pavilion and Pools. Each unit is privately owned. Rooms are large and come in two different sizes, each with there own Private Pool. The unit could use some updating, Kitchen, Furniture and Pool area. These areas where dated, but still usable. We were here as Hurricane Isaac was passing to the South. We had heavy rain for two days, and our unit had a small leak. We made due with the weather and still went swimming in the pool. The property is a quick 5 minute walk to the beach and is on the Dollar Shuttle to get into Red Hook. Just walked up to the street and flag down the next shuttle. You can also take the dollar shuttle into Charlotte Amalie for $2 a nice way to get around the island and talk to the locals. If you are looking for luxury, this is not the place. If you are looking for a quiet, private place this will work.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HaMldge
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We just got back from this motel. Very skeptical at first and a little hesitant. If you go into the place without any expectations your good to go. We had reservations at the Ritz and stumbled across this hotel and thought we would give it a go.

Yes, the hotel is dated and could use a lot of updating, but once you forgot about the star levels and focused on the positives your good. The room was furnished out of a Golden Girls episode but having your own pool was the best. The pool itself could use some repair and the housekeeping should do a better job and the owner could invest in better furniture.

But having only the chickens to listen to and seeing a night filled with stars was great. When I picked up the key to the room and it was an actual key with the plastic triangle fob, it was remenecent of back in the day Holiday Inn .

The air conditioner worked great and proximity to Sapphire beach was so close as well as red hook this place was a good location. The staff was very nice and they had a security guard during evening hours. I felt safe even though I didn't see another guest the whole time nor hear them next door.

Yes, I would go back and stay at this motel again. Having the privacy and the quietness sold me. Don't expect much in amenities and be ok with housekeeping every other day and you will have a great time. It was about a fifteen minute drive from the airport and about a five minute drive to red hook. The room has a full functional kitchen and I would suggest stopping and buying ice for your stay. The liquor was very cheap compared to the states .. I bought a bottle of rum for only $10.00!!

Just FYI, we did have dinner in town and must say, not a good thing driving back in the dark. Recommend a car during the day but next time i will use a taxi if at night. Roads are steep and windy and very dark.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 124. We had morning sun and then around 3pm the pool was half shaded. Which was nic...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
Hillcrest Guest House
Hillcrest Guest House
#3 of 5 in Cruz Bay

Been to Pavilions and Pools Villa Hotel? Share your experiences!