“We liked it better than the Marriott!”

Island Beachcomber Hotel
Reviewed June 2, 2005

My boyfriend and I went to St. Thomas about a month ago and stayed at the Beachcomber for 3 days and the Marriott Frenchman's Reef for 2 days. We thought the Beachcomber hotel was just fine! Sure it's a little older but who cares?! It was quiet, quaint, clean and affordable. I read the reviews from this web site and took the advice and stayed here. (Thank you to everyone who gives their feedback! Very, very helpful.) We were happy! The only thing that I might mention was that the breakfast service was a tad bit slow ... but everyone and everything is slowed down on the island. So it was really no big deal. Also, we loved being able to walk right out onto the beach from our room. The beach was really nice and peaceful. I know my boyfriend initially had concerns about staying here because he wanted a more upscale hotel ... but after we arrived and settled in ... he was pleasantly surprised! It's literally right next to the airport, so needless to say, it was really easy to find. But really we didn't even really notice the planes, or if we did, we didn't get bothered by them. We were enjoying paradise! The staff was helpful too. The owner/manager spent 20 minutes drawing a map for us and explaining how to drive from the hotel to another location on the other side of the island, through the hills to where we wanted to go. (By the way, they don't go by street names there ... it's like "turn left at the fork, turn right at the bottom of the hill," etc.) More observations ... there were no bugs at all! Any where in the room! Didn't see one the whole time. So if we had to choose one over the other, the Beachcomber over the Marriott, we'd probably pick the Beachcomber. Believe it or not. Enjoy your vacation!! We absolutely loved every second of it!

• Stayed: April 2005
11  Thank Rachel B

A TripAdvisor Member
Minneapolis area
Reviewed May 26, 2005

Wife and I arrived in St.Thomas at 4:30PM.Got luggage and rental car and drove the 2minutes to the Beachcomber by 5PM. First thing I noticed was the lush garden area.Don't know when it had been watered last.It was a tangled mess,everything covered in dust,weeds everywhere. Went to the office.Door wide open,AC running,no one there. 5minutes later someone showed up and we checked in.Asked if I should close the door,was told it needed to be repaired. The walk to our room was confusing.Some rooms had hand written paper room numbers taped over different old room numbers. The room was terrible. Everything in the room was old and beat up.There were stains everywhere,especially in the bathroom.Kind of makes you wonder what they are from.A little elbow grease could have cleaned it up but obviously no one there cared to do it. The bathroom and closet had exposed pipes and wiring with dust and cobwebs all over them.There were many insects in the room which is understandable since the door frame was either rotted or had had been gnawedwith a hole large enough to slide your hand through. The fridge was a tiny box big enough to put a six pac in.It was on the floor under a table with the door open not even plugged in. I opened the metal door with no window in it that faces the beach.Right outside the door is the beach and our 2ft square plastic table and 2 plastic chairs.They had spilled beverages on them.Don't know if they forgot to clean them or the neighbors did it.There are no dividers between the rooms so you get no privacy. We unpacked and went to the bar in the state of shock.Plan was to get drunk,go to bed and start looking for a new room in the morning. The bar was ok. Wife said she forgot something in the room.Was gone 10 minutes.said she walked next door to the Best western. They had a room available for 40 dollars more per nite.Beachcomber charged us for 1 nite and we moved next door.We were unpacked and at the new beach bar by 6pm. My wife and I never stay anywhere very fancy.The Best Western was about as high class as we ever get. It was modern,well kept,and clean. The point of all of this is that I wonder who actually writes some of the reviews. The Beachcomber is a dump.I read the reviews, believed them,and got burned.Luckily it didn't cost that much extra in either money or time. My wife wondered how we ended up at the Beachcomber.I let her read the reviews when we got home. Her response was," Are you kidding me,not even close" I don't care where anyone stays when they go to St.Thomas as long as it's not the Beachcomber.You can do much,much better for not much more money. Happy Vacations.

• Stayed: March 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 17, 2005

It is not the Ritz Carlton but is a great value. We have stayed there numerous times since the early 1980's and always found it to be a comfortable, friendly place. The beach is beautiful, it has been compared to Magens. The planes are noisy but "I like jet noise" and they stop around 5 p.m. The rooms are simple but clean and nice and the housekeeping staff has been there as long as we have been coming. It is a small family owned hotel that grows on you.

• Stayed: June 2004
5  Thank VIadict
Reviewed April 30, 2005

My first visit was in 1971. I have tried to return at least once every year or two. In the world of high-rise and pretentious grand resorts (from those like what you find in Vegas to the Tapa Tower at Hilton Hawaiian Village) it is nice to be able to truly relax in a functional Garden-of-Eden. Having stayed at other hotels, as well as those on other local islands (including Caneel Bay), there is a comfort, pace, and sense of family warmth that is unique. Many copies have been attempted over the years, they simply do not have the "flavor". Whether a family trip, romantic escape, or "near-nervous-breakdown-executive-on-the-edge-need-to-get-away", from the moment you check in, and pass within it's confines, the outside world disappears.

• Stayed: January 2003
4  Thank TA999999
A TripAdvisor Member
PA
Reviewed April 14, 2005

I loved the view of the beach and the location, which is very close to the airport. Needless to say, my affinity for the hotel ended on the second day. I found a huge cockroach (the size of my hand) in the closet and two more in the bathroom. The person next door to my room also had cockroaches. When we went to the front office, the desk person told us that she would have housekeeping spray. Thankfully, I was on a business trip and was leaving the hotel. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2005, traveled on business
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 7, 2005

This hotels grows on you after the initial shock of discovering that it is right next to the airport. In fact you will get airliners taking off most of the afternoon and they will bank out to sea right over the beach. The hotel is about three quarters down the runway and maybe 150 yards away from it by which time the planes are already in the air.
But it is on the beach with a basic but nice room and bath. And the price is good. You can step out from the room into the beach. The staff was good. My wife had left some things in the room and we received them 2-3 weeks after making a call to inquire whether they had found them. Initially they said no but then we received the surprise package.

• Stayed: January 2005
8  Thank Langley-George
Reviewed December 30, 2004

We just returned from a wonderful trip to St. Thomas and St. John- we spent five nights at the Island Beachcomber. I made the reservations after reading the previous postings since they were so good.

I have to say, in all its a good value hotel that has a nice beach right outside the door.

There are some negatives though, the airport is right there, so the noise at the middle of the day is very loud. They have coffee makers in the room with no coffee! They also have a roach problem (now, I think many places there do no matter what price range you are looking for since its so tropical) I discovered one at 3:30 am the day we left, fortunately... Also, the bed linens and towels should really be replaced, they seem very old.

The outside bar is nice and the restaurant is too... try the banana pancakes! (but don't expect too many coffee refills)

We would go back there if we go to St. Thomas again!

7  Thank Audrey R
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
Point Pleasant Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End

Been to Island Beachcomber Hotel? Share your experiences!