“a little slice of heaven”

Island Beachcomber Hotel
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I can not say enough great things about this location and its staff. The location is amazing located on a beyond beautiful beach. The beach has crystal clear water and easily accessible water sports rentals (paddle boards jetskis and flyboards) We checked in late the first night and awoke to paradise. We went to the restaurant at the hotel and had a great meal with amazingly friendly staff. The rooms were very clean and the air conditioner worked amazing.. We loved the bar and the beach and the hotel so much we stayed there for most of our visit...I WILL STAY HERE AGAIN 100% next trip....So happy and helpfull... THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR SUCH A WONDERFUL VACATION

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view...The sliding glass doors open to the sand and an amazing pristine view of the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bigrock4dub

Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Our purpose for this hotel is that our yearly flight gets into STT after 9:00 pm - so the time we get luggage,rent our car it's too late to get over STJ on the car barge. So WE choose this hotel to get a good nights rest before heading to STJ -And we have done so for the last 3 years .....
( Please note we spend 7 days on STJ at the Grande Bay Resort )

Knowing what your gonna get in advance is the KEY word when booking this hotel .......Its not modern or chic its a throwback to the motels of the 1970's yes it's outdated and rooms need a facelift
BUT it's very convenient to the airport , clean , beautiful grounds , very safe ( travel with a child ) , very friendly staff , and best of all on one of the best beaches on STT all within steps of your hotel door... So knowing this it serves us very well...
I recommend this hotel for a 1 night stay to those that :
1. Like us arrive to late to catch barge or ferry over to StJ
2. Have a 8:30am return flight back to the states
* If on a budget and wanting to save on lodging while on vacation I would tell you to stay here as well -

Staff/Check In - the lady at the front desk was very friendly & helpful and in fact remembered my little girl at check in

Room - We opt for the extra $10.00 to go beachfront (30 steps to the water) They have a nice patio with chairs and a table to enjoy your morning coffee
When you enter the room as another review mentioned its hot ( but keep in mind most all hotels/ condos / villas have the A/C off as WAPA costs $$$ )
But as soon as I set our A/C on low cold air blew and chilled the room fast.
Room size is standard but comfy enough for 2 adults and a child, furniture is worn and outdated , towel rack in bathroom was missing , some rusting in the bathroom and overall needed some TLC but I will say bed sheets and pillows clean ,bathroom spotless with plenty of hot water for shower, and floors clean. The bed is not a Westin Heavenly Bed but was comfortable....
Yes we did have a small lizard in the room but we realize we are in the tropics and this happens. We reside at a beachfront property in the Florida panhandle and we get them in our home from time to time as well.

Grounds- very well maintained
The Beach - one of the best on STT hands down great for swimming and snorkeling
Safety - Very safe , as stated I would not bring my family here otherwise - sat out on our patio due to bad head cold and not being able to sleep reading a book till 230am
Value - For us to arrive so late at night it fits us perfectly.... to those on a budget wanting to spend a whole vacation at the hotel where can you get a room for that price directly on the beach ?
Breakfast - very good , decent prices and staff was courteous and warm

Overall - will we be back next year for a one night stay before heading to STJ ? You bet we will........it has become our tradition

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank Wheniseethisbar
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Clean and fairly comfortable located right in Lindbergh beach. Good value, very reasonably priced (around $100/night off-season). The hotel is dated and showing some wear but the grounds are well maintained and the service is excellent. Front desk staff, bar staff, and night wait staff excellent. We stayed here years ago and very little has changed. It is on a very nice beach right near the airport. We would stay here again, especially for short stays and early departures.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank VIadict
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Huge mistake: Booked 2 nights at this horrible place because it had decent reviews.
Not only the room that I booked didn't exist (description said ocean front with balcony, and such room does NOT exist at this place) but:
- The atmosphere made me think of a cheap "pick up" place, pretty sure some prostitution and drug dealing goes on there
- I opened the door, the room was dirty, there were bugs and the AC was off making the room very humid and with a horrible smell. I closed the door and left to the front desk to ask for the room I had booked. They said such room didn't exist, that they could give me something similar the following night.

Had to find another hotel, as i was not going to stay at this disgusting place.

Tried to talk to someone that could help but it was impossible, they said the only person that could (Accounting) had left until Monday and to call back.
I spent the first day of my vacation on the phone with these people and the people from the on-line travel agency (also useless) to try resolve this situation (their lying about the room I would get). Couldn't resolve and since I didn't stay here I filed a stop payment with my credit card, which was denied because the management at the Island Beachcomber Hotel LIED and said I actually stayed at their filthy, brothel like, stinky hotel. I will continue to fight to get my money back as I will be able to prove that I stayed somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank miaccs
Michael R, Front Office Manager at Island Beachcomber Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

The reservation for this guest was for April. When the guest arrived, she demanded a beachfront room with a balcony which we do have, nor do we advertise any. Our beachfront rooms each have a patio and are only steps from the best beach on St. Thomas. She then demanded a refund on her credit card. We explained that, since she booked through Orbitz, all cancellations and refunds must go through Orbitz. We do not get the guest's personal credit card information from Orbitz. She said she would write a bad review on Trip Advisor if would not give her credit on her card. She did not spend the night. Orbitz never called us for a credit. She waited nearly 4 months to post this review....how odd.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel about 8 times since 1992. Don't expect a lot of amenities or luxury. My room has always been clean, looks like a budget hotel you find along the highway anywhere, and it is next to the airport. The airport noise is not constant all day long, at night there are no airplanes.They have a good breakfast(tall stack pancakes$ 8.00 with real blueberries not the chemical berries you usually find) The bar is a lot of fun. I have always got the beachfront room three steps you are on the beach. Great beach, water is great to swim, usually not rough, children will love it.I would recommend this place, just don't expect a lot. The price is cheap as compared to other hotels in the area, There are two previous reviews that hit the nail right on the head when they said, kinda funky and it gets the job done. Save your money and take a all day boat trip

Room Tip: Beachfront room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank IrishDanny
Reviewed June 12, 2013

The Island Beachcomber is one of my favorite island get-aways, and I always ask for a Beachfront King room, which from my patio is 3 steps to the beach and less than 15 steps to the warm beautiful water. It isn't the fancy upscale hotel, but the people working there have been there forever and remember me when I go there, especially a lovely waitress who was there on my first trip in 1980. The price is reasonable if you go in November and a little higher in high season, but the kingsize bed is comfortable. There is a coffee maker, small frig and a microwave in the room, confortable chairs, ample closet space and the bathroom would be better with bigger towels and a double sink. It has a shower that is also kind of small, but the beach and the restaurant and the bar make the stay a real winner. I've been going there since 1980, and have stayed alone, and traveled with friends. They loved it too. I'm sorry to read in the other reviews that one discovered bugs (yikes), It is near the airport but as a former pilot, I enjoyed being awakened by the sound of a jet coming in or going out.

Room Tip: If you're a couple opt for the Beachfront King rooms. Most other rooms have two double beds and...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bracolin
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This place is in need of renovations long long ago. This would be fine, except they charge $150/nt for a room that is run down, and had bugs. I've stayed at many older budget hotels, they can still be clean. The price should match that as well. The staff was friendly. They also claim to have free wifi. This is only true if you sit out at the bar.

Room Tip: For another $10 go stay at one of the resorts on the other side of the island. We stayed here becau...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa

Been to Island Beachcomber Hotel? Share your experiences!