New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Yes a little old, but has advantages” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Island Beachcomber Hotel

Island Beachcomber Hotel
Alabama USA
“Yes a little old, but has advantages”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel about 8 times since 1992. Don't expect a lot of amenities or luxury. My room has always been clean, looks like a budget hotel you find along the highway anywhere, and it is next to the airport. The airport noise is not constant all day long, at night there are no airplanes.They have a good breakfast(tall stack pancakes$ 8.00 with real blueberries not the chemical berries you usually find) The bar is a lot of fun. I have always got the beachfront room three steps you are on the beach. Great beach, water is great to swim, usually not rough, children will love it.I would recommend this place, just don't expect a lot. The price is cheap as compared to other hotels in the area, There are two previous reviews that hit the nail right on the head when they said, kinda funky and it gets the job done. Save your money and take a all day boat trip

Room Tip: Beachfront room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank IrishDanny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

The Island Beachcomber is one of my favorite island get-aways, and I always ask for a Beachfront King room, which from my patio is 3 steps to the beach and less than 15 steps to the warm beautiful water. It isn't the fancy upscale hotel, but the people working there have been there forever and remember me when I go there, especially a lovely waitress who was there on my first trip in 1980. The price is reasonable if you go in November and a little higher in high season, but the kingsize bed is comfortable. There is a coffee maker, small frig and a microwave in the room, confortable chairs, ample closet space and the bathroom would be better with bigger towels and a double sink. It has a shower that is also kind of small, but the beach and the restaurant and the bar make the stay a real winner. I've been going there since 1980, and have stayed alone, and traveled with friends. They loved it too. I'm sorry to read in the other reviews that one discovered bugs (yikes), It is near the airport but as a former pilot, I enjoyed being awakened by the sound of a jet coming in or going out.

Room Tip: If you're a couple opt for the Beachfront King rooms. Most other rooms have two double beds and...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bracolin
Erie, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This place is in need of renovations long long ago. This would be fine, except they charge $150/nt for a room that is run down, and had bugs. I've stayed at many older budget hotels, they can still be clean. The price should match that as well. The staff was friendly. They also claim to have free wifi. This is only true if you sit out at the bar.

Room Tip: For another $10 go stay at one of the resorts on the other side of the island. We stayed here becau...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank nurshark

Travelers are raving about these Charlotte Amalie hotels

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed her for one night because our rental villa in St. John did not begin until the next day and were looking for an overnight stay that didn't break the bank. Indeed the price was right compared to the alternatives. Overall we felt we got good value and a nice beachfront for the time there.
The first thing you have to know is this is next to the airport. I don't mean near the airport, I mean literally right next to it. So, be ready for plane noise that sounds like there might be a landing on the roof of the hotel. Two things on this- first, the planes only arrive and depart during the day so you kind of get used to it; second, you might consider walking to and from the airport if you don't have too much luggage.
The room (beachfront king) was just adequate (at best) and maintenance was needed (i.e. air conditioner controls didn't work). The saving grace was being right on the beach, with a little sitting area in front of our room. The beach was nice and is shared with the adjacent Best Western.
The staff was friendly and helpful (with the exception of a truculent waitress at breakfast) and the food was surprisingly good at the on site restaurant. The guests seemed to be mainly from Europe (Holland especially) and there was a nice mix of interesting people at the hotel when we were there. I walked to the nearby University of the Virgin Islands which has a nice campus to walk but a little grim walk getting there. Charlotte Amalie is a short ride away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bobmel
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had the unfortunate luck of having our flight cancelled when we were in St. Thomas. American Airlines provided us with a voucher for a one night stay in this place, however we ended up checking out and staying at the Best Western next door. The hotel looked rundown as soon as we saw the reception, but we thought that it was only for one night so as long as it was clean it would be okay. Well it was far from clean, the shower still had the used soap from the people who had stayed her the night before there was still urine in the toilet and hair on the toilet seat. My wife and I wiped things down and threw away the soap. We decided to go to the bar in an effort to stay awy from the room as long as possible since it was just dirty. The bartender Denita was the only good part of this hotel, she was welcoming and a really good bartender, unfortunately she works at this place. After being at the bar we walked down to the beach which was beautiful, but that is just because it was St. Thomas it had nothing to do with the hotel. We ended up returning to the bar area to have a few more drinks when it began to rain and ended up having dinner. Then it was finally time to go back to the room to sleep, we were looking through TripAdvisor and saw that people warned about the roaches which made us very weary. We walked up to the room and decided to look in between the sheets before laying down to go to sleep, to our surprise we didn't only see 1 but 2 giant roaches in between the sheets. This was our limit, we were not going to sleep in a roach infested bed. We walked to the Best Western next door to see if they had availability, my wife asked the front desk at Best Western, "You guys don't have roaches right?", the front desk agent laughed and said, "Let me guess you are coming from next door, this happens all the time." Once getting a room we went back to the Beachcomber to grab our stuff and checkout. The front desk agent was super rude when I told her we wanted to check out and was rolling her eyes at me when I told her about the roaches. Overall, I hated this hotel but I am glad that we did not pay for the night. Although we ended up having to pay a few hundred dollars to stay at the Best Western, an expense that we hadn't planned for, we were happy we did because at least it was clean and it gave us peace of mind.

This hotel/motel has potential, it is in a beautiful location but it needs a major renovation and cleaning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Tony H
St. Maarten-St. Martin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Third stay at this wonderful older-style beach hotel. Yes, the rooms are dated, but they have always (in my experience) been clean and well-kept. The beach bar is a great place to hang out and the staff ( and other visitors) are friendly and sociable. The beach is clean and pretty, such a nice view from most of the rooms, with their cosy terraces. The menu is basic but the food good, no reason to go hungry here...there's something for most tastes.
Will be back again in afew months - it's definitely the best place to wait for an early morning flight out, or unwind after a late arrival on island.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lesley454
Cape Neddick, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

On our way to the BVI's we stayed at the Beachcomber. After landing at the airport, we headed over to the hotel, changed into our shorts and met our friends at the bar which is right on the water. We sat right there from 3:00 PM until closing! Great way to start the vacation. The bar staff was friendly, the drinks were great and you can't beat the view. We also had dinner and the food was just okay. We had a room in the older part of the hotel. The room itself was pretty bad. Very thin walls. On one side of me I could hear someone snoring most of the night. On the other side, someone was coughing most of the night. But again, the view was great and we were right on the beach. At then end of our vacation, we came back for one night. This time we got a room in a newer part of the hotel. This room was much cleaner. However, there are no elevators and our room was on the 2nd floor. It wasn't fun carrying our luggage up stairs. Also keep in mind this place is right next to the airport. During the day it can be very noisy. I would come back though and overall I would recommend the Beachcomber.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer section.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
3.5 of 5 stars 1,454 reviews
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort

Been to Island Beachcomber Hotel? Share your experiences!