“Disappointing return visit”

Mafolie Hotel
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Disappointing return visit”
Reviewed November 10, 2010

Have stayed here before multiple times but this time was very disappointed. Fabulous view makes this a unique place to stay in St. Thomas. Room lacked essentials and breakfast was not up to par. No fruit. No yogurt. No cream. Just english muffins and cereal. Owner needs to address issues and bring this back to the hotel I have known on previous stays.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 13, 2010

My husband and I travel to the USVI's often and typically stay in the same hotel. However, on our June 2010 trip our "usual" was booked. So, we took a chance on Hotel Mafolie and were pleasantly surprised! The hotel is literally hanging off the mountain overlooking Charlotte Amalie and provides gorgeous views. Our room was small, but had a balcony. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Milford, Michigan
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Everything about the hotel was nice, comfortable, and clean. The AMAZING part was the vista. From our deck, from the pool, and from the restaurant. We had one of our most memorable meals in the restaurant while we watched the view go from bright sun to twinkling lights. So beautiful.
We were there off season right before they closed for several weeks, but we were still treated like valued customers.
We would definitely tell friends to stay there. Actually, we already have.

Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed October 10, 2010

Spent 3 nights here while in town for a wedding at the Frenchman's Marriott hotel. we spent the last 2 nights of 5 in St Thomas at the Frenchman's Marriott and by far we enjoyed the Mafolie much more. We had a room with a priceless view off the front balcony. The front desk helped arrange a rental car when none were available at the airport. They told us where to dine (in addition to their own fine restaurant/bar). We felt like locals within the first 3 days....like we had friends on the island..Cant wait to return.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Glen Head, New York
Reviewed August 25, 2010

we heard about the mafolie online, but were not expecting it to be as great as it turned out to be! the view from the pool , the restaurant and our room was fantastic!!
the staff, kirsten, erin and tim, couldn't have been nicer or more accomadating!
we'd read that some of the rooms were less than desirable, but we had room 113, and the view was magnificent, the a/c was great and the king bed was extremely comfortable..the food at the restaurant was also a pleasant surprise...if you stay here, don't bother trying to fine a better choice for dinner, there's not any better in the hotel vicinity

Los Angeles
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Hotel with a great view; very friendly staff; pool is gorgeous, and DC at the front desk is your consummate host ~ always with a warm beach towel and greeting. Rooms are simple but clean; shower & sink in our room needed repair, but don't expect luxury ~ you're paying for the view. BTW, we strongly suggest renting a car for your stay.

New York
Reviewed August 12, 2010

There aren't a lot of choices on St. Thomas, so I decided to try the Mafolie. I wasn't expecting a resort, but I was expecting a little more for my money. While I can't really say that the room was very different from the pictures, I did feel they were a little misleading. I had a "suite" with a sitting room that overlooked the pool, so it had the great view but not much else. There was VERY minimal furniture and the only seating in the "sitting room" were two rickety chairs and a lumpy, out of shape futon. There was no window in the actual bedroom, which made it feel a little like a prison cell. I had to keep the door to the sitting room closed to keep in the minimal air conditioning from the air conditioner that hardly worked.

Also, they keep the room doors wide open between people checking out and checking in, resulting in TONS of mosquitos in my room the first night. I realize it is the Caribbean and bugs are to be expected, but this seems like an easy thing to fix-- I came home with dozens of bites and couldn't really sleep.

As noted, there was very little water pressure and hot water was spotty, although this didn't really bother me that much.

The restaurant was also really overpriced, as everyone says. I didn't actually think it was all that special or good, and I was a little averse to paying $30 for a fish dish in the middle of the Carribbean (especially when it tastes like they put bottled sauce on top). But it was convenient and so I went there the couple nights I stayed at Mafolie. Once again, I think you are paying for the view, which is lovely. If I had a car, I wouldn't have eaten there though, it's just not that good. Go for a drink before going to dinner, and that's enough!

Summary: The decor was very rustic and basic and the restaurant is insanely overpriced!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
#1 of 5 in East End
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Mafolie Hotel? Share your experiences!