“Perfect View”
Review of Mafolie Hotel

Mafolie Hotel
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My girlfriends and I stayed here for 5 days in July (which was apparently rainy season). It's not your average hotel its more authentic. If you are looking for a Marriott feel, don't stay here. However, if you love amazing views, great food, friendly staff and a decent room - this is the place. We got a great discount through AARP and AAA and found that this place is THE place for views. We were pleasantly surprised by how amazing the dinner was. Breakfast was subpar (but free w. stay)... so we enjoyed bagels, cereal and english muffins each morning. We rented a car instead of taking taxi's or shuttles.. it allowed us to see more of the island and even head over to St. Johns two of the days. Great vacation we will all remember forever!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 24, 2012

We booked this hotel through a deal on hotels.com but were not sure what to expect since the reviews are mixed. Here's the bottom line: views, views, views! The hotel is on the hills of Charlotte Amalie, about 10-15 min from downtown. The room we stayed in had amazing views of the town and bay and it overlooked the pool, we were in room 111. We recommend having a car to travel around the island and go out to eat since there are no places walking distance from the hotel. There is however a mini fridge and microwave in the room. If you dont have a car, a taxi would charge you $8 dollars to/from the airport and probably less to go downtown. The housekeeping was great and they kept the room clean and provided fresh towels everyday (might be a waste but it feels nice).
The staff is helpful and friendly.
The restaurant: we had heard so much about the restaurant at the hotel that were really looking forward to having a nice dinner there. The restaurant has the best view and it is very romantic. They have a full bar also overlooking the town and the bay. However we were not impressed with the food. For appetizers we ordered some of the specials: the mushroom soup was delicious and the Tuna was tasty. For entree we ordered the seafood linguini and the coconut red snapper after asking the waiter about the seafood linguini and if the shellfish in it was local. He assured us it was. The snapper was good but the shellfish in the linguini were definitely frozen and not good. We were disappointed with the food or maybe were expecting too much. At the end, you end up paying for the view. The hotel does give you a complimentary glass of wine or dessert with the purchase of a meal which was good.
Overall it was a good experience and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Just to be clear and set expectations - this is NOT a "resort". If you're looking for a resort, there are others in the area. What this hotel is is a unique little place with an excellent view, friendly staff, reasonable prices, lovely little pool, fantastic restaurant on site, and clean/comfortable rooms. Not luxurious, but perfectly fine for a short stay. We needed accommodations for 1 night before headed to the BVIs, and we really enjoyed our stay here.

Room Tip: I would upgrade at least to Deluxe to get a good view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jenniebeth
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This was our first time in the Caribbean let alone St Thomas. We chose the Mafolie Hotel based on its location on the Island. It seemed to be the most centrally located hotel in our price range. The hotel has a spectator view. The pool deck over looks downtown and is a great place to relax. There is a pool bar which serves drinks and food at a reasonable price. Our room was clean, a little outdated but clean. Our room had a fridge and microwave. The continental breakfast was simple but good. Enough to make a balanced meal (cereal, english muffins, bagels, waffles, muffins, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, orange juice, coffee, and tea. Oatmeal would have been a nice addition. The staff was helpful. We asked for recommendations on things to do on the island and other nearby islands. There is a Free shuttle to downtown and to the beach. The return trip from downtown is $6 per person by taxi.

The only negative about the location is that its not convenient to walk to anywhere. It was high on the hill which made for a great view, but the roads were very narrow and windy. The only other restaurant than the hotel was Sibs, a 5- 10 minute walk up the hill. Its a casual dining restaurant mainly locals go there. Be sure to bring a flash light for the walk back. Unless you are eating at the Mafolie or Sibs plan on added cost for taxis to/from the dinner each night.

The positives out way the negatives. This hotel is great for the value.

Room Tip: We didn't have a room with a view but felt that since breakfast and the pool had a view it was n...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank fang0026
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I have been a travel agent for 30 years and a road warrior the past 5 years and know a good value. My husband and I had dinner there about 35 years ago and it was one of the best. I have been back to visit the hotel on sight inspections only never stayed. I used a ticket that was going to expire and travelled alone, the experience at the hotel was great. I am a beach person and was concerned that I always stay in St. John's on the beach. The hotel has a great arrangement with a driver to pick up guests and take them to the beach or town. The driver was so great I made arrangements to go back to the airport. Arrived after flying all night Taylor the front desk clerk gave me all the information I needed about pickup times for the beach and into town. I checked into my room and it was cool and much larger than what I excepted. Everything worked, I check that out first thing before I unpack. Went to the bar to get some refreshment and was greeted by the Resturant manager and he made me a drink even when the bar wasn't open yet.
The fresh fish dinner was great and a good wine list.

The next evening the hotel pool area was full of interesting people, young and older to visit with and pre dinner drinks. Eating alone is never fun, I never ate alone while I was there, great guests and even better hotel staff that made sure I had was included with a group. The breakfast is included with the hotel stay was better than some I have paid for. Good coffe, that is really importand to me and it lived up to my standard.

I would stay there again, even if it isn't on the beach.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Julie V
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Wonderful little boutique hotel with a million dollar view of Charlotte Amalie harbor and the city. We rode the provided taxi to Magan's Bay in the morning and had a swim - they kept our luggage locked up in a room at the hotel while we were in Magan's Bay, which I thought was nice. The breakfast was very nice also, with great coffee. Pool was good as well.

Room Tip: Rooms with best views cost more - ours was one of the cheaper rooms, but we still had a great view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rhud12345
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Our first room was down 4+ flights of stairs which had to walked up every time you left, got breakfast, or did anything really. And the bed was hard. We had to pay more to get another room with less walking. In the new room the windows didn't close all the way and there wasn't even a window over the door, just a vent. Therefore the A/C didn't do anything. I didn't sleep well most of the time because of the sound of birds outside and a hot room. They didn't have any wifi as their website promised and their TV had 5 channels which in their world I guess counts as the promised cable tv. The shuttle only left once a day at the same time and the one to Charlotte Amalia didn't bring you back. And all the shuttle was, was a underpaid taxi driver (only $300 a month for up to 3 shuttle trips a day). Oh and the toilet was right next to the wall. I'm sure my husband's knees must have hit the wall when he sat down. The the door had was one big vent so your partner can hear and smell everything that you do in there. Not very romantic.

I ordered a pina colada at the bar and got a strawberry daquiri, was told that was a pina colada. Later found that the woman wrote in her own tip when we settled the bill. Also, the restaurant was minimum $30 a plate and there are no other restaurants in walking distance. The only place that delivers was Dominoes.

On the plus sides, the front desk staff was very helpful (but they don't give you cash by charging your credit card if you run low and there aren't convenient ATMs). The view was amazing. The pool was very nice and the grounds were beautiful. The breakfast was pretty good too, although the fresh fruit isn't always very fresh as they use the same batch every day and just keep adding to it.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort

Been to Mafolie Hotel? Share your experiences!