“It's all about the view!”
Review of Mafolie Hotel

Mafolie Hotel
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We booked this hotel through a deal on hotels.com but were not sure what to expect since the reviews are mixed. Here's the bottom line: views, views, views! The hotel is on the hills of Charlotte Amalie, about 10-15 min from downtown. The room we stayed in had amazing views of the town and bay and it overlooked the pool, we were in room 111. We recommend having a car to travel around the island and go out to eat since there are no places walking distance from the hotel. There is however a mini fridge and microwave in the room. If you dont have a car, a taxi would charge you $8 dollars to/from the airport and probably less to go downtown. The housekeeping was great and they kept the room clean and provided fresh towels everyday (might be a waste but it feels nice).
The staff is helpful and friendly.
The restaurant: we had heard so much about the restaurant at the hotel that were really looking forward to having a nice dinner there. The restaurant has the best view and it is very romantic. They have a full bar also overlooking the town and the bay. However we were not impressed with the food. For appetizers we ordered some of the specials: the mushroom soup was delicious and the Tuna was tasty. For entree we ordered the seafood linguini and the coconut red snapper after asking the waiter about the seafood linguini and if the shellfish in it was local. He assured us it was. The snapper was good but the shellfish in the linguini were definitely frozen and not good. We were disappointed with the food or maybe were expecting too much. At the end, you end up paying for the view. The hotel does give you a complimentary glass of wine or dessert with the purchase of a meal which was good.
Overall it was a good experience and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012
There are newer reviews for Mafolie Hotel

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Just to be clear and set expectations - this is NOT a "resort". If you're looking for a resort, there are others in the area. What this hotel is is a unique little place with an excellent view, friendly staff, reasonable prices, lovely little pool, fantastic restaurant on site, and clean/comfortable rooms. Not luxurious, but perfectly fine for a short stay. We needed accommodations for 1 night before headed to the BVIs, and we really enjoyed our stay here.

Room Tip: I would upgrade at least to Deluxe to get a good view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jenniebeth
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This was our first time in the Caribbean let alone St Thomas. We chose the Mafolie Hotel based on its location on the Island. It seemed to be the most centrally located hotel in our price range. The hotel has a spectator view. The pool deck over looks downtown and is a great place to relax. There is a pool bar which serves drinks and food at a reasonable price. Our room was clean, a little outdated but clean. Our room had a fridge and microwave. The continental breakfast was simple but good. Enough to make a balanced meal (cereal, english muffins, bagels, waffles, muffins, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, orange juice, coffee, and tea. Oatmeal would have been a nice addition. The staff was helpful. We asked for recommendations on things to do on the island and other nearby islands. There is a Free shuttle to downtown and to the beach. The return trip from downtown is $6 per person by taxi.

The only negative about the location is that its not convenient to walk to anywhere. It was high on the hill which made for a great view, but the roads were very narrow and windy. The only other restaurant than the hotel was Sibs, a 5- 10 minute walk up the hill. Its a casual dining restaurant mainly locals go there. Be sure to bring a flash light for the walk back. Unless you are eating at the Mafolie or Sibs plan on added cost for taxis to/from the dinner each night.

The positives out way the negatives. This hotel is great for the value.

Room Tip: We didn't have a room with a view but felt that since breakfast and the pool had a view it was n...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank fang0026
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I have been a travel agent for 30 years and a road warrior the past 5 years and know a good value. My husband and I had dinner there about 35 years ago and it was one of the best. I have been back to visit the hotel on sight inspections only never stayed. I used a ticket that was going to expire and travelled alone, the experience at the hotel was great. I am a beach person and was concerned that I always stay in St. John's on the beach. The hotel has a great arrangement with a driver to pick up guests and take them to the beach or town. The driver was so great I made arrangements to go back to the airport. Arrived after flying all night Taylor the front desk clerk gave me all the information I needed about pickup times for the beach and into town. I checked into my room and it was cool and much larger than what I excepted. Everything worked, I check that out first thing before I unpack. Went to the bar to get some refreshment and was greeted by the Resturant manager and he made me a drink even when the bar wasn't open yet.
The fresh fish dinner was great and a good wine list.

The next evening the hotel pool area was full of interesting people, young and older to visit with and pre dinner drinks. Eating alone is never fun, I never ate alone while I was there, great guests and even better hotel staff that made sure I had was included with a group. The breakfast is included with the hotel stay was better than some I have paid for. Good coffe, that is really importand to me and it lived up to my standard.

I would stay there again, even if it isn't on the beach.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Julie V
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Wonderful little boutique hotel with a million dollar view of Charlotte Amalie harbor and the city. We rode the provided taxi to Magan's Bay in the morning and had a swim - they kept our luggage locked up in a room at the hotel while we were in Magan's Bay, which I thought was nice. The breakfast was very nice also, with great coffee. Pool was good as well.

Room Tip: Rooms with best views cost more - ours was one of the cheaper rooms, but we still had a great view.
2  Thank rhud12345
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Our first room was down 4+ flights of stairs which had to walked up every time you left, got breakfast, or did anything really. And the bed was hard. We had to pay more to get another room with less walking. In the new room the windows didn't close all the way and there wasn't even a window over the door, just a vent. Therefore the A/C didn't do anything. I didn't sleep well most of the time because of the sound of birds outside and a hot room. They didn't have any wifi as their website promised and their TV had 5 channels which in their world I guess counts as the promised cable tv. The shuttle only left once a day at the same time and the one to Charlotte Amalia didn't bring you back. And all the shuttle was, was a underpaid taxi driver (only $300 a month for up to 3 shuttle trips a day). Oh and the toilet was right next to the wall. I'm sure my husband's knees must have hit the wall when he sat down. The the door had was one big vent so your partner can hear and smell everything that you do in there. Not very romantic.

I ordered a pina colada at the bar and got a strawberry daquiri, was told that was a pina colada. Later found that the woman wrote in her own tip when we settled the bill. Also, the restaurant was minimum $30 a plate and there are no other restaurants in walking distance. The only place that delivers was Dominoes.

On the plus sides, the front desk staff was very helpful (but they don't give you cash by charging your credit card if you run low and there aren't convenient ATMs). The view was amazing. The pool was very nice and the grounds were beautiful. The breakfast was pretty good too, although the fresh fruit isn't always very fresh as they use the same batch every day and just keep adding to it.

4  Thank JuliesGraphics
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Okay, we're here on day 2 of our 12 day stay (5 with Mafolie Hotel and 7 on a crewed charter with Festiva Sailing Vacations) and here is what we've experienced.

*The hotel, while with an incredible view, yes, is not the Mariott. If you're looking for room service, large bathtubs and spa amenities, this is not the hotel for you. It is laid back, no frills, mom and pop kind of hotel. The staff is friendly, our needs are met and I sit here typing drinking a rum and coke while overlooking the harbor. We paid $103 a night and it is worth every penny. I am a chef and the restaurants food here (while pricey) is fantastic! Local fare, fresh local fish and the service impeccable. So, for all of the nay sayers of this hotel, it must be because they are wanting a little bit more fluff. You get what you pay for. The rooms, (while small) are clean and comfortable; you're in St. Thomas...are you really going to spend that much time in your room???

About St. Thomas.....The people are friendly and crazy all at the same time. It is hectic and the driving is insane. The roads wind in every which way and Lombard St. in San Fran doesn't have anything on the streets here. Let me rephrase the people are crazy...the driving is crazy and the people are polite and friendly. Like everyone has said the taxis here are expensive. Expect $8 per person to go anywhere in town HOWEVER, most don't know about the taxi buses that come every 5 minutes at pretty much any corner. For $2 per person you can travel from Charlotte Amalie to Red Hook (the western part of the island) , which by taxi would be $20+ per person. You're riding with locals who at each stop get on and greet everyone with "Good Afternoon everyone" and it truly gives you a sense of the island comradery.It was a true pleasure riding the open air bus with the locals. We took the bus to Red Hook to catch a ferry to St. John (so glad we went).

I will not lie, things are expensive here. Bring your own sunblock from the states because it will cost $15 for 3oz here. Groceries are out of control and I am amazed anyone can afford to eat. Currently the gas is $5 a gallon and the only thing that is affordable is alcohol, go figure. Like anything else though, St. Thomas is a must do on the bucket list.

Word to the wise, Cruise ships come in every Tuesday and you can expect up to 12,000 people at times on the island, plan ahead to avoid this. It is beyond crazy I am told and beaches are packed, taxis are harder to get as well as renting anything because it's already been reserved.

Overall, the Mafolie Hotel is a place we would stay again and after a full day in St. Thomas perhaps this one visit was enough to say "we did it" so we'll venture elsewhere in the future. It's kind of a place (the island itself), to say been there, done that. It's for tourists indefinitely and though my husband is ready to set roots here, I would be more apt to settle in St. John (though that is even more expensive). This is not a negative, it's just being realistic. Next on the list...Austraila. Happy travels to you and yours.

6  Thank Jennifer L
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Mafolie Hotel? Share your experiences!