“Don't expect much!”
Review of Bunker Hill Hotel

Bunker Hill Hotel
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We stayed one night here before flying home to the usa. The location was really convienent to the tourist shopping area, & restaurants. At the same time, a little scarry! St Thomas (at least in the area we were in) is rough. I would not leave anything of value in the room.
The hotel is very basic-no frills. Some rooms have air con- some not. Some rooms have phones- some not. Some rooms have hot water- some not. Some rooms are clean- some not. Ours was not cleaned from the previous occupants (shower :-/) and no phone. So, if you find you are lacking one of these, just ask for another room.
There is a lovely small pool and outdoor lounge area.
The breakfast (included) was very basic as well.
I would not recommend this hotel unless it was your last option....especially since the price was over $100 a night.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank provencegirl
Bunker_Hill_Hotel, Manager at Bunker Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Dear Provencegirl,

We appreciate your business, and do hope you would come again, but would like to clear up some mis-information.

1. We are located in St. Thomas' Historical District (late 18th/ early 19th century architecture), which is in Downtown Charlotte Amalie, just steps away from the main shopping area. We are not secluded on a resort, so therefore you will see and quite possibly interact with locals (in non-official capacity) in the area- nothing to be scared about at all.

2. We have been here for 31 years and in all that time have never had a single incident of guests missing anything from their rooms. This includes the jewelers and other main street vendors who routinely stay with us.

3. All rooms are air-conditioned. All rooms are clean. I do hope that if for some reason you found that the room had not been cleaned before you checked in, that you immediately returned to the front desk so that we could take care of you!

4. Our complimentary breakfast includes 1 egg, 2 strips of bacon/ham/turkey, toast with butter and jelly, juice and coffee or tea.

5. At under $100/night we are among the most budget friendly accommodations you will find on the island. The larger hotels are three to four times (sometimes more!) our rate, there is no complimentary breakfast and you still end up spending more on transportation. I can honestly say, that you won't find a better value for your hard-earned dollars anywhere else.

Again, thank you so very much for your business. We do appreciate the feed back as we are constantly working on improving our offering. Have a blessed day!

Reviewed January 13, 2012

We stayed here twice. It is incredibly well located for the ferries and the shopping area, safe, clean, and has a nice breakfast. There is a very small swimming pool and a wonderful view over the town. It is a great choice for a few days if you are passing through.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 4, 2011

I arrived late and famished -- they hadn't fed us on the plane. The manager said most restaurants were closing about then -- but that if I told him what I wanted he'd run out and get it for me! (Instead I bought a tasty barbecued chicken leg from the bar around the corner). The room was VERY basic motel-style... 1970s-type fixtures, aircon kinda noisy... TV only showed a gospel channel. But breakfast on the porch overlooking the harbour was magical, and the view was amazing. The hotel is run by a lovely St Thomas family -- such a nice change from the sterile, impersonal chain hotels you find all over the Caribbean. The location couldn't have been better for me to catch my ferry to St. John: I just rolled my suitcase down the hill 5 minutes. I would definitely stay here again - and some of the other guests had already been there a week or more.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are up at least one flight of stairs.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Omnivole
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Bunker Hill is only 2-3 blocks away (up hill) from all the shopping. It is nothing fancy, but it was very clean, included breakfast, and compared to other places very reasonably priced. I would certainly stay there again. (Note: The deli just a couple doors down has awesome Cuban Sandwiches)

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank KAbraham33
Reviewed August 2, 2011

This place has lots of character. Amenities are older, but are clean and working. We loved being within walking distance of the market, restaurants and historic sights. Breakfast with a view, friendly staff and cute little pool added to the experience. Liked that it's child-friendly. The neighbourhood is a little sketchy, but one shouldn't be walking about on their own at night anywhere and we had no issues at any time. Taxis arrive quickly if you order one from reception and it's about two blocks to the bus stops and taxi lot next to the market. We liked the price and plan to stay here again. Lots of steps to negotiate, but you'll be in great shape when you leave!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Curly05
Reviewed January 12, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Bunker Hill during "Christmas Week." We wanted to get away without spending a ton of money. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't the greatest experience.

PROS:
+Price
+Walking distance to the waterfront, shops, and some restaurants. We also walked to Yacht Haven Grande several times, which is a 15-20 minute walk in flip-flops.
+I'm gonna include breakfast here. It was more than I was expecting. However, I recommend walking down to Bumpa's at least one morning.
+Friendly office staff. They were very helpful and gave us advice for finding our way around the island, recommendations for dinner, etc.
+Air Conditioning

CONS:
- Mosquitos!!! My legs were covered in bites after our first night. Several other guests I saw were also covered. They were all over the room. I wanted to catch a gecko from the pool deck and bring it in to kill them.
- The immediate neighborhood. We didn't walk after 8:30pm, but every time we did walk we felt safe. However, we got lots of warnings about the neighborhood. I actually liked seeing both "sides" of island life. As for noise in the night, we had our AC on and didn't hear any outside noises.
- Our cab driver one night told me his friend was killed at the Bunker Hill Hotel. He said it was a domestic dispute. I suppose that kind of thing could happen at the Marriott, too, but I couldn't get it out of my mind after I heard it.
- The steps. We were on the third floor and we dreaded the walk back up to our room (65 steps - we counted).
- Our room could have used some updating. We did see some nicer rooms on the other side of the hall, though.
- Our shower didn't drain properly BUT it was fixed within a few hours.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank STJJD
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Me and my girlfriend stayed at this hotel in january 2011. The hotel is located in the downtown area of charlotte amalia, and as a hotelguest you have an easy access to shops and transportation to other parts of the island.

Our room was clean and nice and we really enjoyed our stay at the hotel. The staff was extremly serviceminded - and they gladly gave us helpful information about transportation and attractions on the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Our only negative experience was that the final payment was 100 dollars higher than expected (taxes, according to the receptionist) - which was not announced on the homepage and therefore took us by surprise.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple