I was a bit nervous after reading the other reviews.
I had no facilities problems. the room AC worked fine, water pressure was ok... everything was as it should be (at least for me in my room)
Service issues. I learned that the service on St. Thomas in general is not up to mainland standards, it is just a different way of life down there. From the hotel front desk, to restaruants, to mcdonalds, the service is slow, and not outwardly friendly. We actually had better service at the front desk than other places on the island and the housekeaping and other staff was very nice and polite. room was missing bath towels and they were sent right up when we asked.
airplane noise - yes you are right across the street from teh runway. yes planes make noise when they take off, so it is not quiet all the time. there were no late night or early morning flights while i was there. i did not find the noise to be too intrusive because the planes are gone so quickly after takeoff and there was never a long line of planes reving up and waiting in line for takeoff, just single planes at a time.
Beach - beautiful. we rented a car and drove to other beaches. i did not find any that were spectacularly more impressive. teh water is perfectly clear, no waves, gentle slope into the water, nice soft sandy bottom. It was perfect for my 2 year old son. no crowds, unlike Magens bay, which was overwhelmed with cruise ship passengers. as an added bonus, the small park/playground approx 400m down the beach was my son's highlight. there is also a small child's water park there (not open year round), which cost only $1 for 30 minutes
Value - St thomas is very expenssive and i am a budget minded traveler. I cant bring myself to pay large amounts of money for a room that i am not going to spend much time in. I paid $179 a night for spring break season, and that was the best rate anywhere for a hotel right on the beach.
summary - if you are used to full service, expensive resorts, stay away. if you are looking for a great beach for families, at the best possible cost, this is the place for you, just dont go expecting the amenities and service of the higher end resorts.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The only 100% beachfront resort on St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands! Tucked into sun-splashed Lindbergh Bay on the Island of St. Thomas, the beautifully appointed Emerald Beach Resort welcomes guests with the gracious look, style and service of the Virgin Islands' rich heritage. BIG King Size Beds and Spectacular Views from EVERY ROOM! FREE High Speed Internet Access. Flat Screen TVs with Cable TV, 100% Beachfront Views with Balcony and Adjustable air-conditioning. Surrounded by landscaped gardens, cascading waterfalls and lush tropical settings, the Emerald Beach Resort offers a central, convenient location close to the airport, shopping, championship golf and all of St. Thomas's great activities and adventures. With the bounty of land and sea captured in stunning views, it's the perfect place for a memorable vacation. Or an unforgettable wedding, meeting or corporate event. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Emerald Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Emerald Beach Hotel Charlotte Amalie
- Best Western St Thomas
- Best Western Emerald Beach Resort
- St. Thomas Best Western
- Emerald Beach Resort St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands