“good hotel for the preice would stay again” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Emerald Beach Resort

Emerald Beach Resort
lynbrook ny
“good hotel for the preice would stay again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2006

Stayed in May. Pleased with the room. every room has a beach view and terrace. walk up to the main road and take the bus to town, mageans Bay, Coki beach great snorkling. If the cruse ships are in. Then those beaches will be packed. The resturant was not good. Go eat at Havanna Blue at the marriot. Late afternoon there is some airplane noise. Cabs charge per person which can get pricey. would go back for the price.

• Stayed May 2006
6 Thank lazygoats

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2006

Great breach front location for every room. Nice views from your balcony (get a room on the third floor for the best view). Good ambience (although not upscale). Nice pool area. Some snorkelling right off the beach. Laidback atmostphere. Nice indoor/ outdoor dining area. Kids will love the ignuanas that roam the property.

The only downside is that the service at the restaurant is veeery slow - but this is Carribbean time!

Overall, great value for the Carribbean. Don't bother going into the town area to stay since it will not give you the true Carribbean atmosphere.

6 Thank AAdv
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2006

I arrived at the Best Western Emerald Beach Resort at about 3:00PM on a Sunday afternoon. We were a little early for check-in time, and so the front desk staff kindly gave us free drinks at the beachside bar while we waited about an hour. The people at the bar were wonderful and the drinks were phenomenal.

We then checked in with no problems at all. The room was just as described on the website and through images; a basic room with a drop-dead gorgeous view of beautiful Lindbergh Bay.

We ate at the hotel’s restaurant that evening, the Portobello Ristorante, and found that the food was great. The service was no slower than your average restaurant, and the open-air building and view of the sea created a great ambiance. Any resort restaurant is going to be expensive no matter where you stay – but here you got quality food and service for your money.

The next day we explored the beach and bay, and I cannot describe how perfect it is. There are usually no more than 10 to 12 people on the entire bay (both in and out of the water) at the same time, giving you an almost private beach. There were times when my family was the only ones in the water. Snorkeling along the east end of the bay was good, but not fantastic once you see how amazing it can get at Norman Island’s “Caves” and “Indians.” There are a number of different fish and coral to be found at the east end. The beach had mostly all beautiful sandy bottom, and the water temperature was perfect.

Although I myself did not spend much time in the swimming pool because I prefer the beach, it was gorgeous with a cascading waterfall. The pool was not huge, but definitely not small at all. It is more popular with guests than the beach I found, which is fine with me.

We then found the Blue Island Water Sports very convenient as we rented ocean kayaks and took a guided tour to Water Island’s Honeymoon Beach and snorkeled along the shore of the island. It was an excellent experience, and was a deal – about $60 per person.

The internet connection and computer station in the hotel lobby is fast and effective, as I used it myself numerous times. You can pay $10 to use it for an entire day, and come and go as you please.

There were many animals around are bay also. During the day we saw about 4 large iguanas, countless lizards, a stingray, and at dusk we saw a number of sea turtles in our cove.

Overall the Best Western Emerald Beach Resort is in my opinion the best place you can stay in St. Thomas, hands down. The proximity of the airport is not an issue unless seeing and hearing a couple plans every hour is going to ruin your whole vacation. The sound of the waves washes most of the sounds out, and most airplanes you never even see. This is a wonderful resort, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to explore St. Thomas and the Virgin Islands and is looking for a quiet beach in a great location (save for the airport of course).

11 Thank EricMeyer
Mill Valley, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2006

What a real disappointment! After 2 glorious weeks on St John (a private villa each week), we needed to leave St Thomas on an early morning flight. Instead of returning to Hotel 1829, where we have always been happy, we decided to stay the night nearer to the airport. We thought, how bad could it be?

Insanely, about 99% of the folks there are there for the same reason and leave early...yet, the rooms are not ready until 4 pm. You need to take a taxi to get to town and to get to the airport. They no longer provide free shuttle service. The room was filled with tiny, biting mosquitoes. We heard from others that their rooms were similarly 'fashioned'. The room was filthy, yet the bathroom reaked of chlorine! Towels were thinner than thin and even the complementary coffee wasn't there! Thankfully, the air conditioner worked.

You are much better off staying nearer to town and getting up 15 minutes earlier for that flight! The taxi costs almost the same and the experience will be so much better!

9 Thank Joan88

Travelers are raving about these Charlotte Amalie hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2006

We stayed at the BW Emerald Beach the last week of June and after reading postings on here I did not have high hopes for the place, but was pleasantly surprised by our experience and wanted to share it. First off this is NOT a 4 star hotel and there are certainly fancier places on the island. For a laid back VACATION it's a decent spot. The front desk staff is not helpful, but most of them are pleasant enough while not helping you. There does seem to be a problem actually getting any housekeeping items from the front desk though...everything had to be brought to the room by a maid. We needed toilet paper every other day and they were never able to give it to us at the desk. We had a broken toilet the first night and to my surprise the maintenance man came 20 minutes after we called (I expected to have to use the toilet in the lobby for a few days). The restaurant and bar were GREAT. Food was good and came out in a very reasonable amount of time. Staff in both eateries was great - Ed the bartender is fabulous! The free breakfast is heavy on the carbs - toast, muffins, cereal, but enough food to get you through the day...and it's the ONLY free breakfast on the island so you can't really complain about free. The rooms are old and need make overs, but who wants to spend time in the room with all those gorgeous beaches out there! The hotel beach and pool were very well kept. Except for the front desk staff (which wasn't nearly as bad as I thought) we were very happy with our stay at the BW. For the price it meets expectations. The airport being so close is not a problem. Oh and we didn't tip well, if at all, so that wasn't a factor in our treatment. If you want to be catered to and have high customer service standards - stay elsewhere. If you want a place to store your bags, get clean and sleep at night this is a fine place to stay. Get out during the day and explore the island!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2006

The hotel is about 3 minutes from the airport and also within walking distance (about 3/4 mile) to a taxi stop (called safaris) which can take you dowtown or to the East end of the island. The hotel has a great pool area with a cascading waterfall and was very well kept. We stayed on the 3rd floor and the room was decent for the money. My biggest complaint was the toliet did not flush well and they did not remedy the problem. The staff were friendly and the grounds were well kept. I would stay there again, but now that I've explored other areas, I might consider Saphire Beach Resort instead. The location is not as convenient but it's a nicer area and a better beach. It all depends if you are going for convnience to downtown or a quieter area.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2006

I was booked at the BW Emerald Beach for a work trip this past week. I had never stayed at a BW before so did not know what to expect. When I got there, I thought the lobby looked decent. The hotel staff was not at all friendly when I checked in. My room was not ready so I was told to wait. I was told there was internet access in the lobby so I assumed wireless so I attempted to login for about 10 minutes, I then asked and was told it was at the computer on the desk adjacent to the front desk (of course this was occupied but they did not think to tell me that was the internet access). Also, when I checked in they had me down for 2 rooms, I said I only needed 1 room but a colleague of mine would be checking in later and gave them her name. They apparently did not feel the need to change the information in their system so when our colleagues called to see if she had arrived, they were told that she never checked in.

So I finally got to my room and lugged my bags up the stairs (no elevator and no offer for assistance). I worked for a bit then went to work out in the gym. I came back to the room after and started taking a shower when I noticed that there were no towels in the bathroom, I immediately got out of the shower and called down to the front desk and said I was mid-shower, needed towels, and to please have them left inside the door. I showered for another 10-15 minutes, got out and found no towels. I called again and they said they had ordered them to be sent. I waited another 10 minutes (dripping wet in the room) and still no towel. I finally put some clothes on and went down to the lobby soaking wet and asked for a towel. The front desk clerk said they were on the way and she did not know where to get me one (I thought that was interesting since the room info said that pool towels were available at the front desk.) She seemed entirely unconcerned that I had no towel. I went back to my room and phoned corporate BW who was not that helpful. I began to pack my bags and towels finally came another 15 minutes later. By that time, I had air dried and had it...I headed over to the Island Beachcomber next door. Rooms were not quite as nice but the staff were FRIENDLY (wow, how about that) and I had a towel after my shower.

After all that the BW felt the need to charge my company for the 4 hours that I "used" the room...I will never stay at a BW again!!!

Go to the Island Beachcomber next door...

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End

Been to Emerald Beach Resort? Share your experiences!