“Average”

Emerald Beach Resort
A TripAdvisor Member
Minnesota City, Minnesota
Reviewed June 3, 2005

We stayed here for 4 nights. The beach and view is what makes this hotel. What really brings it down is the service. You will rarely get a refill on your drink unless you flag down your server who, most of the time, will be standing near the upper bar just watching everyone. The staff is pleasant enough, it just feels like they don't like their jobs and don't want to do much. Don't bother going to their buffet on Friday nights - for $30+ pp I expect more than basic salad, chicken, rice, mac &cheese, veggies, tiny shrimp pasta, ribs. The rooms are a nice size, fairly clean. The pool is nice, with some iguanas to keep you company. The beach is great. This hotel isn't near anything - be prepared to pay about $7 per person, one way, each time you get into a taxi.

• Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,816)

Reviewed May 28, 2005

We stayed at the Best Western Emerald Beach for two nights. Frankly, two nights were enough.
Pros: Rooms are all Ocean view/Ocean front. The view from our room was amazing, and it was SO easy to go down to the beach. Unlike other posters, we never had a problem getting a chair to relax in...and it was pretty quiet overall at the property, so the beach wasnt overcrowded or noisy. Loved the ceiling fan, kept the room really comfortable. It was a nicer room than we had expected given previous posts. I would have loved a small area rug to have been in the room to catch some of the sand we managed to track in...but that was minor. The beach itself was nice...but there are few amenities. Have to mention also that the people at the "gift shop" were VERY helpful!! More so than the front desk staff.

The treatment plant is on top of a hill to the side of the resort and is in no way imposing...unless you need to find something to complain about. Just look the other way.

The airport runway is literally across the street...and the noise CAN be quite loud. Having lived underneath a major arrival/departure flight path for the first 22 years of my life, it was nothing too shocking for me.

Now for the Cons: The property is very run down. The sidewalk is torn up in areas and the lighting needs improvement in the common areas. Service is SLOW...I understand the whole "Island Time" concept and was prepared...but it is even more pronounced here. Especially in the Bar Area. There are no elevators, so be aware that you will have to schlepp your luggage up and down the stairs if you are on 2nd or 3rd floor...we were told there was bell service but never saw it. Front desk staff was friendly enough, but not overly eager to assist.
Also know that this property is VERY FAR AWAY from just about everything. A car is a must!! The shuttle offered by the hotel will only take you downtown...not back. You are at the mercy of the hotel restaurant for meals and such...the night we arrived, they were ONLY offering a buffet for approx. $36.00 per person...and we were told the regular offerings were not being served that night. Found out later that you CAN order take out from the bar area...but that can take a while. (For the record...we skipped the buffet, got in the car, ended up driving clear across the island, and landed at Duffy's Love Shack over in Red Hook. This is a MUST DO. Its great fun!)
The property looks nothing like pictures provided by Best Western, but do they really ever? The pool area is small but quaint.
I would recommend steering clear of this hotel for stays longer than a night or two. Overall, I was happy with the views and the proximity of our room to the beach, but was disappointed with everything else. For the almost $200.00 a night we were charged, I expected a little better. Would I stay here again? No. But, I didnt enjoy St Thomas, so I dont anticipate returning.
One thing I DO need to mention is that we mistakenly went to the Best Western Carib Beach first...and that property literally made the Best Western Emerald Beach look like a Four Seasons hotel.

• Stayed: May 2005
10  Thank trasib
Reviewed May 10, 2005

My husband and I were married here on the beach. We had a day room. We were just there for the day as we were on a cruise. The rooms are average but more than adequate and views and balconies are outstanding. We cranked up the A/C and the room also had a ceiling fan which was great! We ate lunch at the Palms restaurant and the food was awesome and the drinks were cheap. Sammy the bartender is the best! All the staff were friendly. The beach is beautiful. The planes are no big deal at all!!! I would stay here again anytime and plan to next year for one week and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone. It's a Best Western. 3 star hotel in my opinion. Not fancy but more than adequate. I am glad I was not deterred by negative reviews posted by some people. The swimming pool was fabulous as well. Clean and great temperature.

Stayed: April 2005
6  Thank april c
A TripAdvisor Member
Villa Rica Georgia
Reviewed May 5, 2005

I just recently took a girls trip to St. Thomas. I always love staying at the Emerald Beach Resort. Since my husband and I got married there several years ago I've made it a yearly trip, sometimes a couple times a year. The reason I keep going back is the wonderful service and feeling so safe. The entire staff from manager to bellman make you feel so welcomed! Everyone on staff greets you with a smile making sure all your needs are met. I love sitting by the pool watching the iguanas:) I really appreciate the effort that everyone makes to make my trip such a pleasure. I love taking my friends there!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 26, 2005

Once again we returned to the Emerald Beach Resort (after about 4 1/2 yrs). The rooms were exactly the same as I had remembered them to be. They were very clean and attended to daily. The food at the beach bar/restaurant was very good and the Sunday buffet is excellent. The bartender (Ralston) was very friendly and accomodating to us. As with any place in the islands, don't wait until you're starving to eat......go early, things are a bit slow in general. Pool is nice and clean/ beach is beautiful and not very rocky at all. Beach attendant cleans beach constantly all day long. Blue Island water sports is located at hotel and offers all sorts of fun activities including scuba lessons and snorkeling. Don't miss Noche restaurant in Frenchtown, the food is outstanding. If you are only thinking about going into town and back, rent a car. If not, let the cabs take you. Plan to spend $5 per person one way into town and about $7-10 per person one way to the other side of the island. It does add up fast, but the roads are scary if you don't live here. Overall, one of the best places to stay on the island.

• Stayed: April 2005
6  Thank FLANNY2
Reviewed April 25, 2005

The beach on the property is picturesque - just like from a postcard. It's quiet & private not over run with tourists or people from the cruise ships.
My husband & I stayed recently here & we were really happy with our acommodations & with the staff. We had a beachfront view with a balcony & it was great for watching sunsets. Our room was clean & nice. The nearby swimming pool with the waterfall was also quite enjoyable. One thing - You'll need a car if you plan on staying here & travelling back & forth in to town (Charlotte Amelie) or around the island - otherwise the taxi drivers will gouge you for $6-$8 a person per trip. They don't believe in mileage meters & the town isn't within walking distance.

Overall an above average stay ;-)

Stayed: April 2005
3  Thank LoreleiNova
Reviewed April 13, 2005

Hotel – room OK at best, the bed was OK, but the beach was awesome; proximity to airport nice, but those planes are loud– it does look cool, though, when you’re lying on the beach and see those mammoth planes ascending. And yes, proximity to the airport means you're far from Red Hook, many nice beaches & even Charlotte Amalie. The beach was beautiful, no snorkeling to speak of, but calm, beautiful, very nice. The bottom line with this hotel is you’re paying to be on the beach. So, if you’ve got the $$, stay at the Sapphire Bay resort, or the Frenchman’s Reef Marriott. We were trying to save & did OK by staying here. I’ve read some pretty bad reviews of the hotel recently & I guess I just have to say we didn’t have very high expectations, so the little things that bothered some other people didn’t upset us. Our room was ready on time; the restaurant was extremely busy and very understaffed, but I had no problems w/ anyone being rude to us. The room & the hotel were by far not the best I've stayed in, but it's pretty damn cheap for St. T. Maybe we got lucky, but I really had no problems w/ the hotel. It’s just not that nice and we knew that going in…

Food – Mafolie Restaurant for dinner – Fantastic – 4 STARS!! Rehania (our server) was great, the food was wonderful, the view breathtaking. Dinner at this restaurant is a REQUIREMENT for any trip to St. T.!!! We had lunch at Iggie’s one day – on the beach – it was awesome!! After we ate, we laid in their hammock & fell asleep – beautiful! The service was a little slow, but you’re right there on the water for lunch – very nice. Duffy’s Love Shack for a burger was OK & we got ‘stuck’ late one night at Molly Malone’s – most restaurants are NOT open late, so beware. The food was OK, but overpriced. The service was great, but again I thought it was just too expensive. That’s what you get for waiting too late to eat.

Transportation – We rented a car & I HIGHLY recommend it. The freedom to come and go, not having to haggle with cabbies and share cabs w/ other riders – it was well worth it. I just can’t say how many times I saw people frustrated w/ having to deal w/ cab drivers & I was just grateful I wasn’t one of them – plus we drove all over the island & got to see many great views, just stopping along the road to get out and look at some amazing vistas - you can't do that in a cab. Definitely rent a car!

Beaches – as I said above, Emerald Beach was nice, but Sapphire Beach (w/ great snorkeling) was better, more beautiful, but more populated). Coki Beach was the BEST spot for snorkeling, you just have to put up w/ a crowd – especially a lot of locals – and AGGRESSIVE waiters pestering the ---- out of you to buy drinks. Bolongo Bay looked nice, but we just had lunch there.

• Stayed: April 2005
#3 of 4 in Cruz Bay
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast

Been to Emerald Beach Resort? Share your experiences!