2,297 results
All reviews close to the airport beach bar caribbean fusion st thomas great beach lindbergh bay beach front front desk staff hotel restaurant nice pool the ritz beautiful view virgin islands gift shop joel tiffany wedding
Selected filters
Reviewed February 27, 2015

Stayed here on a recommendation from the locals while on a business trip. The rooms were quite nice, roomy and kept clean throughout my week stay. There were always workers on the grounds doing some upkeep. The beach was very convenient from the buildings. Never was that busy on the beach except 1 day I came back and I guess there were cruise ships in the area that passengers came from.
I stayed in Bldg 1 on 1st floor and had no complaints of noise. I did hear the rooster in the area couple mornings but only because I had turned off the A/C. Still wasn't that bad and hey, who wants to sleep in when the beach is calling! Everything in the room was in working order. I was worried about having usable internet access for business and I must say for all the travels I do, the internet access was very good for any hotel I've been in.

The beach bar was entertaining. Bartenders were enjoyable and good way to meet those staying in the resort. Food at the beach bar/ onsite restaurant was fine. I ate dinner at the resort once and breakfast each morning but ventured out to local restaurants other nights. Always easy access to taxis out front. The 1 downside is you have to have cash handy and there isn't an ATM at the resort. The 1 ATM I found in the area charged a $5 fee so have cash handy if possible. It ended up being cheaper- than a car rental but still added up quickly for the week.

I was worried about bugs from articles about this area but can say I never saw any at the resort. I did decide to walk back to the Airport when departing and that was the only time I ran into any bugs along the airport fence. In this regard, the walk was about 10 minute. A taxi for 1 with a couple bags was $10 for the short ride.

Overall, was a good experience. I didn't spend a ton of time at the resort during the day due to work but enjoyed my time.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
3  Thank CNYtraveler
Reviewed February 27, 2015

We stayed for one night after spending a week in the BVI. We only needed accommodations for one night and did not want to spend $800 for the Ritz. It is very difficult to find a bed and breakfast to offer one night accommodations during peak season. In hindsight, we should have spend the $800. I am admittedly particular about my hotels, but as someone who travels for work and for pleasure, I have stayed in an array of hotels. As long as it's clean, I can deal. I will tell you now, I didn't take my shoes off in the room at all. Not one time. I will give the pros and cons, and you can decide for yourself.

I did a lot of online research prior to booking and read all the reviews. Cost was not a factor as much as a desire to be close to the airport. St. Thomas traffic can be insane, and we didn't want to spend two hours going back and forth to the other end of the island. The location was excellent. Very close to the airport and close enough to Frenchtown to go there for dinner, which we did because the hotel restaurant was serving a buffet that looked horrible. The grounds of the hotel were nice enough, although the fountain at the entry was full of green water.

The lobby was fine but without air conditioning. The desk service was friendly. When we checked in we requested a ground floor room based on reading previous reviews. We had a lot of luggage and didn't want to lug it up three flights of stairs. Because it is, after all a Best Western, there were no employees to help with luggage. At first, the desk lady claimed that there were no ground floor rooms. She then told my husband that she would "work some magic." We were pleased she accommodated us--until we saw the "magic." Our room was in building four. That is the farthest building from anything. No biggie. We are able-bodied. We lugged all our luggage down to building four to find that we were in a lower level, corner room by the cleaning closet. It was really not great and certainly not "magic." When we entered the room the cleaning people were there mopping. I thought that was a good sign, until I realized they were just pushing around giant clumps of hair from a previous guest. I can't really talk about it. I still gag a little. Needless to say, after I cleaned that up, and some blood/hair mixture from the bar top, we went to the beach. Prior to leaving for the beach, I begged my husband to switch hotels. He's a lot tougher than I am and really considered my request.

The beach bar was a mix of locals and hotel guests. The drinks were fine and reasonably priced. We walked the few steps to the beach and located two chairs in the sand. The sand was littered with trash and cigarette butts. Our chairs were in the shade of a big, weird, Magnolia-like tree. We were seated next to some female guests who chain smoked the entire time we were there. I think the only time one of them was not smoking is when a giant, cat-sized iguana fell out of said tree and scared the crap out of all of us. My husband convinced me to swim and as soon as we got in the water, he pointed to what he thought was a ray. It was a plastic trash bag. I then spotted a pony tail holder and a can. All that was missing was a used Band-Aid sighting. So, we transferred to the pool. When transferring from the beach to the pool area, the hotel provides dish tubs of water to rinse your feet. Yeah, right. I think they must take that water and pour it in the fountain out front. You could not have paid me money to put my foot in there. The pool visit lasted about two minutes. We put down our towels, got in, smelled the chlorine smell, which was strong enough to kill bacteria in the air, and promptly left. We went back to the room to dress for dinner, and I again begged to leave.

So, the room and the beach were both a bust. The next morning we got ready to go to the airport. We had too much luggage to walk and asked to use the shuttle, which was parked outside. We were told that the shuttle couldn't run to the airport, but to go get a taxi in the parking lot. We used a taxi from there the night before, and it was fine. However, this time we were put into a 1980's Mazda that was most assuredly a gypsy taxi. The man was nice enough until he told us it would be $4 per person plus a charge for each bag. We were literally going less than 1/2 a mile. I know, because we had walked it that morning. Whatever. Then he told us that we had to pay him in the car and asked if we had change. My husband quickly replied that all we had was $10. We refused to give him more and almost turned him in at the airport. Because he wasn't a legit taxi, he couldn't even get out and help with our bags. Nice. Shame on the Best Western for allowing their guests to be placed in illegal taxis operating out of their parking lot.

So, here's my two cents. It's not a nice hotel. It's suitable for one night if necessary. It is NOT worth the $340 we paid. If I had paid $85, I would have known what we were getting ourselves into. Never again.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
5  Thank hwilbourn
Reviewed February 26, 2015

St Thomas is rather crowded and not too relaxing. But this hotel where we stayed for one night on the way to St John was conveniently close to the airport (not relatively quiet at nights despite this) with a nice little beach and a view of the ocean. The rooms were spacious, comfortable and very clean.
Staff was very friendly and helpful everywhere and it has a restaurant which is quite adequate and has a kids menu. The food was quite good.

The most amazing part if how honest the staff was . I left my Ipad there by mistake and took off to St. John and they phoned and left a message on the voicemail of the phone I had given them. I was touched but not surprised at the gesture.

I would go definitely go there again if I had to stop in St Thomas.

Room tip: not sure if I have any special tips. We went as a family and asked for two roomms close to each other and the staff was very good and gave us adjoining rooms.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Fussy4
Reviewed February 24, 2015 via mobile

I was in St Thomas for a short one night stay so this hotel was suitable enough. It is close to the airport. All the rooms have a balcony view of the ocean which is amazing! The beach is literally right there! If it weren't for mosquitos and humidity I'd probably have slept with the balcony door open but you could still hear the ocean waves through the closed doors! Loved that! The room seemed clean overall however there were many Mosquitos in the bathroom and you could see a bunch of smashed Mosquitos on the ceiling and walls of the bathroom and entryway. Not sure about all rooms but apparently Mosquitos have been an ongoing issue in the room I stayed in. We had the Friday night buffet and breakfast the next morning in the Carribean Fusion hotel restaurant. The atmosphere of the restaurant was great...being right on the water. Outstanding view of the bay but I thought the food was just average. It was overpriced (but I'm sure everything in St Thomas is). The wait staff was very friendly but service was SOOO SLOW! We will probably be traveling back for another overnight soon and I wouldn't mind staying here again but we will probably avoid the restaurant this time. If I were staying in St Thomas for an actual leisure vacation I personally would look for another hotel.

Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed February 13, 2015

Before we went, I read the reviews going back over the last year. By reading that many reviews, you can get a pretty good idea of the common pros and cons, and be able distinguish what is reality and what is just the venting of fickle person who had a bad experience. With that being said, here are my pros and cons from 1/28-2/2/2015. Pretty much what I expected going in.
PROS- Easy access to airport, noise is not a factor. Rooms clean and adequately furnished and decorated, plenty of pillows. Pool is nice, clean. All rooms on beach with view off balcony. Beach was not too crowded most days. Beach bar was nice, bar staff was great. Bar food was good. Breakfast food at restaurant was ok. Taxi's always available out front. Lobby staff great, housekeeping great. Overall, atmosphere was good.
CONS- Friday night buffet in the restaurant sucked, the food was just plain bad, and the service was horrible. Service was beyond slow in the restaurant, even when they were not busy. Cats and chickens running around everywhere didn't really bother us, but does give it a low scale feel.
RECOMMENDATIONS: If you book a tour from the gift shop in advance, ask to be notified 24 hours in advance of possible cancellations. We were called 30 minutes prior to 7am pick up that it was cancelled for not enough people. Try one of the local restaurants for breakfast and dinner. Gladys Café in the city is great for breakfast or lunch. Hook, Line, and Sinker for dinner.
I would recommend to stay here if you are planning to go to St Thomas. Overall it is good, just stay out of the hotel restaurant. Order from the bar menu if you want to eat, other than that it is overpriced and extremely slow service. Do not do the Friday buffet or Sunday brunch, you will regret it.

Date of stay: January 2015