“Just be careful!”

Emerald Beach Resort
Reviewed September 1, 2004

Our stay was for a full week (plus an additional night due to the airport closing over hurricane warnings).

My wife and I found the property to be in pretty good shape. Maintenance personnel are currently revamping underground PVC lines and so there is on-going construction and quite a bit of digging and hammering going on. But that is just a minor annoyance and the upkeep has to be done sometime and so the problem is minor.

The first room we were given was terrible. The shower stall was riddled with mildew and the ceiling (in the shower) was falling down.

Being assertive (and you'd better be) with the front desk yielded a 'replacement room' that was great! Great view and clean and with a working refrigerator and presenting with no problems whatsoever.

As for the beach and the view... excellent!

Airplane noise.... no problem.

Fellow guests... great!

Maintenance people and maids and cleaning people... great!

I would have assigned a better rating but there is a marked problem with other hotel personnel (especially at the front desk). My wife and I were present on one occasion (and in the dining room) when the manager chewed out a couple of workers and on another occasion (also in the dining room) when a waitress was mouthing off to a 'junior' manager.

Also... the Palms (the on-sight restaurant) has a spotty list of menu items (some great choices and reasonably priced and others over-priced and terrible). The 'buffet night' there was like 'happy hour' at a greasy spoon (w/ the exception of salad and dessert) and at a cost of over $55.00/couple.

I could spend more than a couple of paragraphs on the restaurant and the mostly slow moving and unresponsive staff there but I'm not a food critic. So... you'll have to try something in there and judge for yourself or... you can walk the half mile or so necessary to get to Tickles (at the sub base) and get yourself a 'real' meal that is great tasting and fairly priced.

As for tipping at the Palms... that's entirely up to the patron. I don't tip for bad behavior and slow and/or rude service. But when everything was pretty good (as it was some of the time) I tipped the usual 20%.

An example of hotel staff at the Emerald Beach is a different story. Lisa (I think that's her name but anyway... she's at the front desk). Lisa is the type boorish person who totally lacks social skills and who is uncommunmicative and downright hostile (in a passive/aggresive sort of way) and rude to a fault.

There seems to be a lot of that on this island and so it isn't fair to single out the front desk of the Emerald Beach (you'll find more than your share of rudeness and thinly veiled hostility from airport personnel).

There are other unresponsive personnel that are slightly better in demeanor than this Lisa cat but... she is definitely the worst of the worst.

In all fairness, we found other people (both working the front desk and in other positions at the property) to be very nice and very helpful (I approached the manager after finding out about the airport closing and he was very helpful and accommodating. He offered that we could keep the same room and at the same rate and also a late check-out time to accommodate changed travel arrangements.)

But if this review process is about helping fellow travellers and rating on a consistant and fair basis... then I have to say that your personal experience overall and... at any given time... will probably be: half good and half bad.

Just keep in mind that you are paying for this service and so any sort of hostility at all should be considered unacceptable.

Charlotte Amalie and the stores there and Havensight (across the bay) are fun and worth a couple of days sightseeing. Red Hook is also nice (but small) and there is a supermarket there that is fully stocked and outstanding.

Take the bus! You can catch one over by the Domino gas station (a couple of minutes walk from the hotel). And only one dollar per person!

You can rent a vehicle easily enough but driving is a risky bet and cabs are costly.

A trip to St John's is well worth the time and effort (get the ferry out of Charlotte... it's a better trip even though it cost more than leaving from Red Hook). The beaches over there are great and transportation is widely available.

My wife and I had a great nine days in St Thomas but... we won't be going back! It's a beautiful place with beautiful beaches but the people there seem to be dealing with some sort of deep rooted esteem issues and they can take you to task because of it. Also... I don't think armed robbery or larceny is as real a problem as in other towns or locales in the Carribean but, on the day we left, there was an article (front page) in the island newspaper about a murder (and a victim's body "riddled by bullets").

If 'Islanders' are trying to sell you something... there's no problem but... otherwise... watch out!

As for the hotel... if they had upended the place and shook out all the 'bad apples' and changed the menu a little and charged a fairer price then... I would have easily assigned the experience a full 4 stars.

A big plus (at least for now) is that... Lisa doesn't bite!

10  Thank marine66
Write a ReviewReviews (1,814)

Reviewed July 13, 2004

My husband and I stayed at this hotel during our honeymoon. It is one of the least expensive hotels on the island and it is quite obvious why. The staff was rather friendly and helpful, but the hotel itself was a dissapointment. I guess that I was expecting something a little bit more romantic, but the rooms were small and bare (even though they do overlook the ocean), the hotel lobby reminded me of a hostel, rather than a hotel. The restaurant was ok, but nothing great. The hotel is pretty far from all attractions and it is necessary to take a cab every time you want to leave, which gets to be pretty expensive. I would not recommend this hotel for anyone's honeymoon trip, as you may want something more romantic, but if you are just going to visit St. Thomas and don't want to spend too much money on lodging, this may be the place for you.

1  Thank dcast79
New York, NY
Reviewed July 5, 2004

I had the most wonderful time there. We were literally RIGHT on the beach, and the pool was wonderful.

The drinks were made to perfection, the staff at the restaurant was excellent, and the room was great.

I didnt want to go home.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Indiana, PA
Reviewed June 30, 2004

My husband and I just returned from St. Thomas. We stayed at the Emerald Beach BW and for the price of the room ($88/night), were very pleased. The beach was really nice...very calm and crystal clear water. The continental breakfast wasn't bad, but keep in mind it is only a continental breakfast. The staff were all very friendly and very helpful when needed. Taxi's from this hotel are a little pricey since it is out of town, but the taxi's were expensive from any point on the island. I would highly recommend renting a car. It takes a little getting use to driving on the left side, but it'll save you tons of money if you plan to do any sight seeing.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 31, 2004

This was a very nice hotel with a great view. The hotel staff was very friendly and pleasent, Tiffiny George and Judith were great. Me and my wife enjoyed the hotel very much. The location was not bad. Cab fare was five dollars to go down town and about eight dollars to go to the east end.

3  Thank kenfuller7
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed May 26, 2004

Man was this Hotel a nightmare. The staff was so rude, except for Ralston who we loved. He is the Bartender at the Tiki bar and makes a Mean Rum Punch! Our room was dirty, cracked walls, and in need of a serious paint job. The refrigirator was broken and in concrete. Our Iron and coffee pot was broken. When I called the front desk to get a replacement iron and coffee pot, the lady asked me if I turned it on. What an idiot. the one at the desk when we checked out was the worst. She was like, "Ok I am done with you now leave." WHat a *$%&. The island is very slummy and not safe so you have to take a taxi EVERYWHERE! You cant walk and this hotel is far from everything., The restaraunt there is TOTALLY overpriced for the quality of food and service. the Continental Breakfast is a real laugh. They want you to tip them there for everything like if they bring you a fork! They will tell you too that you have to tip them. Whatever. I would not suggest going to this hotel. the "Please bolt your door for safety" sign on our balcony door really scared me off...

Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed April 28, 2004

We stayed in this hotel for a few days and I can't express to you how disguisting it is. Please if I can spare anyone this experience then at least someone will benefit. The only ammenities this hotel offers is a nice beach and the staff is reasonably friendly otherwise nothing. We found dead insects in our room, one day we didn't have maid service at all. The bar, restaurant and pool are small. It is very expensive to take a taxi to other sites. Roughly $11 to Charlotte Amalie and approx $20 to the East end which is where many of the restaurants are and the ferry to St John. You should stay somewhere more centrally located or in the East End.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#4 of 5 in East End
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
#2 of 4 in Cruz Bay

Been to Emerald Beach Resort? Share your experiences!