“Disappointing”

Emerald Beach Resort
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We were disappointed during our stay for 4 nights to celebrate our anniversary. We were deceived by our waiter over the cost of coffee and breakfast cost more than it should. When I confronted him he told me "you should get your wife to explain it to you". If they could charge you for the air you breath they would. They really know how to separate you from your money here and in St. Thomas.
The hotel was dated, the restaurant smelled, was dirty, had slow and poor service. The refrigerator did not work in our room and was told it would be replaced, but never was. Our friend's room was a mosquito breeding ground and nothing was done to correct it. Their solution was to spray chemicals.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MikeWebb219
BWPlusEmeraldBeach, Manager at Emerald Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

All of our reviews are important to us at Emerald Beach Resort! We do read every review we receive and personally respond to many of them. I did reach out to you to discuss your recent stay. We do offer coffee makers with complimentary coffee in each guest room for our guest’s convenience and do apologize for any misunderstandings that may have occurred during your recent visit.

Customer Service and our guests’ experience are of great importance to us! It is our goal to offer a quality, memorable trip to our guests at a great value. We are proud to offer some of the most attractive room rates, the best quality food and menu pricing in St. Thomas.

We have a wonderful staff always ready to assist with anything our guests may need during their stay. We are always willing to offer our guests a change in rooms when our occupancy allows and unfortunately when you visited us recently we were unable to offer a room change to your friends. We did in fact take steps to accommodate them and alleviate the problem!

We do offer a wonderful beachfront location and all of our rooms have had recent upgrades. Bathrooms with marble floors and vessel sinks; updated modular furniture, larger flat screen televisions, upgraded and improved internet service are just of the few upgrades we have recently completed!

We also had the pleasure of serving you a wonderful 40th Anniversary Celebration for you and a few friends; a gift from your daughter! It is always our pleasure to serve our guests in any way that we can!

I believe that we covered each area of concern that was listed in your review during our recent conversation! We would love to have you visit us again in the future and please feel free to contact me should you need any further assistance.

Linda Mason
Sales Manager

Reviewed April 12, 2014

I stayed here for one night only, on my first night in the VI, as my plan was to get the first ferry out to Tortola the next day. Even for a convenient "stop over", I would not recommend this hotel.
It is old and smelly. The only good thing I can think to say about it is that it was located on the water, but this does not offset the "bad" things about the place. Based on room location from the lobby, you will have to lug your baggage further than you will want to, and up stairs if you are not on the ground floor. Certainly, you should not expect any assistance with luggage or getting to your room. The staff was inattentive, and borderline obnoxious. I waited forever for a drink at the bar and the food was just gross. Spend a few more dollars on a cab to stay elsewhere (yes, the cabs are a rip-off!!!). This was my first experience in the Virgin Islands, and it was a total let-down. On the bright side, the trip was wonderful once I escaped this place. Don't waste your time or your money. When considering the cost of the room, it was a really bad deal and just not worth it!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Becky M
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Arriving in st thomas around 11am was super exciting with all the new things to see. After doing some research my boyfriend and I decided to walk to the hotel which literally is a 12min walk. We were offered numerous cabs costing up to $16 !!!! Be careful with the taxi drivers who are dyeing to take advantage of tourists.
On arrival to the hotel were we thought check in would be a breeze we were shot down with "check in isn't until 4pm". We were told me would put our suit cases in a creeping musty office but still tried to make the best of it by going to the bar for lunch and some drinks. After 3 hours of sitting in the heat in NY attire and asking if the room was ready. Why simply asked if we could get some towels to at least enjoy the pool/beach. (Something they should have offered in the first place). Then of course 30 mins of enjoying the pool we get called that our room is ready.
We specifically asked for a third floor room in the 3rd building but were given a 3rd room room I'm the 1st building I just agreed so I could be done with them and enjoy my vacation.
After trucking all of our luggage to the 3rd floor (there are no elevators) we were called and told that there was a mix up and needed to come down with our luggage. We were told that the girl who gave us our room assigned the room to another guest also -___-
So again needed to bring our luggage down AGAINNNN to only have to bring it the room we were supposed to get in the first place in the third building.
Thankfully we didn't miss too much of our first day in paradise with this nonsense and were given a voucher for a complementary breakfast for our entire stay for their mix up which in was thankful for.
After that mishap we didn't deal much with the staff as we don't require much. Rooms are NOT very modernized but the balcony with the view of the beach def makes up for it. Also rooms were very clean and the housekeeping were always early and even mopped daily ! We NEVER had any problems with lack of towels or water pressure. But also don't be careless with your towels and wonder why you have none !
I have to mention the restaurant in the hotel carribean fusion was the best meal I had in all of st thomas and wanted to kick myself for only going there on the last night. You can have dinner on the deck with the view of the beach and sunset in the back round. We searched all over the island for a place that wouldn't serve mediocre food that charged an arm and a leg. It was literally under our noses the entire time !! Ugh
Emerald beach is absolutely stunning there are plenty of water activities to do (the jet ski tour which was my fav) Overall I truly did enjoy my stay but probably would never return to st thomas not because of The best western the island in General was not what I expected, the inflated costs of everything being the main reason but if I HAD to return I would def stay here again

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Ana H
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

This was one of the greatest experience i had. The employees always recieved you with a smile, always clean & organized but also very convenient! Manager joel kling was very helpful & awesome customer service. Thank you for such a beautiful experience.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We flew into Charlotte Amalie late at night to pick up a ferry to BVI the next morning. The pluses are that it sits on a nice bay with a good beach. The rooms were clean and the bathrooms looked like they might have been updated recently (they are still small). There is a pool that looks out to the ocean as well (my kids liked that).

The hotel shows its age (no elevators, lots of odd stairs, etc) but it is a fine place to crash for a night. That being said I cannot imagine going on holiday there. It is right next to the airport, the food is adequate - to - lacking at best, and the service is slow and slightly disorganized (we had 10 bags and 6 people and there were no luggage carts?...the place is spread out so it was a bit of a haul).

Summary...okay for a stop over but I would avoid for a long stay.

Room Tip: Our rooms were on the third floor and it was not a ton of fun to lug dive bags, etc up and down...th...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We were on our way to Tortola when flight cancellation made an overnite on St Thomas a last minute need. I had read about Emerald Beach and it was near the airport, so I called at the last minute for a room. We got in about 5pm and were greeted by a welcoming front desk person. Check in was smooth and we soon hit the beach for our free rum punch. It hit the spot. The overall sense of the place was not high end, but not mom and pop either. Our experience was only for the one night, so my comments are limited. Overall, the resort was tropical, clean, and had great views of the water. The beach was great and the room had a nice balcony on the water. It was on the third floor, but not alot of steps. The room was somewhat faded and a cabitnet door over the refrigerator qas broken. Still for the cost it seemed a bargain. If I go back to the islands, I would seriously consider spending some more time here.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view. Farthest rooms did not seem to bad of a walk. Trade off of longer walk fo...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Positive:
Beautiful view from the rooms!
Fantastic beach with white sand and turquoise water!
Great big room with big beds and a lovely balcony.
Free air con, fan in the ceiling, wi-fi and sun beds.
Friendly and helpful staff.
Good cleaning.

Room for improvement:
We desperately needed a screen in the balcony door to keep out the very annoying mosquitos! Would've loved to sleep with the door open at night but it was impossible cause of the blood thirsty bugs.
The breakfast buffet needed decent cheese/jam/cream cheese/honey/Nutella/whatever - the spreads(cheese and jelly) are really boring.
There was an accident with a broken water pipe while we were there but we got no information about the situation apart from what we asked ourselves. It was Saturday afternoon/evening and our entire block was without water for hours but noone from the staff did anything to inform us or make sure we were offered alternative showers e.g., even though many of us were planning on going out for dinner etc. The water came back early in the evening but went missing again the following day - again without any information. I'm aware that it was "force majeure" but would've been nice with a more proactive staff in that specific situation.

All in all:
Very happy with Emerald Beach Resort and we'd definitely come back again!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast

Been to Emerald Beach Resort? Share your experiences!