“Very Basic”

Emerald Beach Resort
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I was very disappointed when I arrived. The location has one plus, its close to the airport in case you need to catch an early flight. Otherwise, the location is less than ideal, even for the reasonable cost of a room. This is a tired, worn out hotel, with very basic amenities.
The TV didn't work in my room, the room smelled musty and like smoke. The beds are rock hard. It was a miserable night of trying to get to sleep.

The tiled floors were not clean, the room lacked floor mats near the bed or in the bathroom. So you ended up putting dirty feet in the bed, unless you wiped them off with a towel beforehand.

I did take advantage of the welcome rum punch coupon at the poolside bar, but it tasted like fruit punch without the rum, therefore I didn't order additional cocktails. Once I checked the prices for dinner at the restaurant, I decided to get dinner at the bar. The bartender was very friendly and took my order. The cheeseburger and salad was not tasty all all....it reminded me of a frozen patty. I didn't finish the meal.

The worst part of my stay was the noise and safety issues. The couple in the room next to me decided to fight most of the night, they sounded drunk and screamed profanity at each other. The walls are paper thin. The noise from the beach area would not stop, despite ear plugs!

At 0200, someone tried to enter my hotel room...there is access from outdoors to all rooms and no security that I was aware of. Later that evening someone made a racket while returning to their room, banging something metal against the railings as the walked down the hallway. Not a peaceful or restful experience. Needless to say, I checked out early the following morning.
The front desk staff was very nice and supplied me with directions and a map. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
BWPlusEmeraldBeach, Manager at Emerald Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Emerald Beach Resort is located on a beautiful beach with spectacular views from each room. We are known as a very quiet and peaceful hotel with wonderful customer service and offer great value for your money. We offer each guest a complimentary Rum Punch when they check in to welcome each guest to our “Island” Paradise.

The front desk staff are in attendance 24 hours a day 7 days a week and are there to assist you with any needs that you may have and are always available should you have a problem or complaint. Security Guards are also on property for your assurance and convenience.

Cleanliness and Customer Service are very important to us. Our Housekeeping department works very hard to keep our rooms clean and ready for each guest’s arrival. Each room is furnished with a bamboo mat on either side of the Bed for your comfort.

We have two restaurants available to our guests; one at our Sister Resort, Carib Beach Resort, with a shuttle that runs between the two resorts throughout the day and evening. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again when you return to St Thomas. I am always available to discuss your recent stay.

Sales Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,813)

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Wow, what happened within a year ? We fly from the west coast and usually start our trip with a one day stay before heading over to St John. In April we did the opposite. We stayed the last night before heading back to west coast.
Never stayed in building one before. Musky room, running toilet and no towels.
Bar is still good, but the jet skis and trying to relaxe at the beach while listening to a sales pitch about renting a chair and umbrella got old really fast.
You also need to improve your breakfast menu.
Sorry I won't be back.

Room Tip: Any building but one. Second floor in any other building
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sandtherapy
BWPlusEmeraldBeach, Manager at Emerald Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

I am a Sales Manager at Emerald Beach Resort and wanted to thank you for taking time to write your review. We do value our guest’s reviews and take into consideration all of your comments. Our goal is to give every guest a wonderful experience with excellent service that is a good value for their money.

Our front desk staff is always willing to help our guests and we would have loved the opportunity to offer you a room change if you weren’t satisfied with your room at check-in.

It is important to me that you know that we do work hard to make corrections and make sure that our guests are satisfied. We would love to keep your business and I would be happy to discuss your recent stay and how we can do better next time!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

My sister and I stayed here for 5 nights and did not venture away from the resort much other than shopping and a day trip to St.John. Upon arrival, we had no towels and our sliding glass door to the balcony was broken. We were assured by the front desk personnel that the issues would be addressed immediately, and they were. They were not able to fix the door until the next morning due to it being late, but they were very prompt to get it fixed the next morning. We really enjoyed our stay! The employees were delightful and the beach area was fantastic. The rooms are basic, but who spends much time in their room anyway?! We enjoyed dinner at the beach bar each night and Tony was great! He managed to talk me into getting on a jet ski for the first time for his jet ski tours, and I had a blast! All in all, I'd stay here again!

Room Tip: Our second floor room was perfect, clear view of the ocean, and peaceful.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I was surprised at Christmas with a trip to St.Thomas by my husband. We had never been to the Caribbean before and our first trip was amazing! We enjoyed our stay at the Best Western. The check in was quick and we were welcomed with a smile and the person was very helpful for us. The first floor room we stayed at was clean and the view from our room was beautiful. I loved that I could walk right to the beach from the room and it made it very easy for us. Although we were near the airport it didn't bother us to hear the planes. The beachfront was very nice, ocean was such an amazing blue/green color and clear and not too crowded with people at all while we were there. I loved that. The staff was very friendly and helpful whenever we needed anything. We had no problem getting towels when we needed them. Dinners at the restaurant were excellent and our waitress, Kristen was very nice and helpful with anything that we needed. We enjoyed the bar and had some awesome new drinks that were different. Thanks to Tony, Morgan and the other bartenders who were great. Also enjoyed eating lunch and dinner there too. What a great place to enjoy meeting new people and the view overlooking the ocean was so relaxing. When we decided to take a tour of the island we were referred to the concierge, Bethany who resided at the Gift shop. She was very helpful and took her time talking to us about the different things to do and places to eat on the island. We took her recommendations and she even called places for us to make reservations. When we needed a taxi to take us anywhere they were always available at the hotel front and the drivers were helpful and knowledgeable with any questions we asked about the island. We are planning a trip for next year. I can't wait to go back.!

Room Tip: I would suggest a 2nd floor room only because of privacy and the view would be better. Our room on...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

We arrived in St Thomas around 11am off the Carnival Dream and we knew where we wanted to go as we rely heavily on trip advisor ;) we waited with others for a taxi and eventually we along with some other passengers arranged a large group and the taxi quickly jumped at taking us! It was $4 pp there and it was a nice open taxi. The beach is super close to the port but I don't think we could have walked it.
The beach was fairly clean, we threw done our towels and bags and jumped into the water (which was gorgeous). All the staff we met were fantastic, they even allowed us to change in their facilities and got us a cab back to the port. I would definitely recommend this beach to anyone looking for a quick beach stop!!!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 27, 2013

With all due respect to the other reviews who book an extended vacation here, my family only stayed one night. After seven nights is blissful St.Johns, we stayed here the night before our 8 am flight back home. What we have are two very different islands and two very different accommodations.

Emerald Beach has beautiful landscaping and a small, but nice pool that my teens swam in while we waited until the 4 pm check-in. A small sliver of beach, but crowded and filled with jet-ski ariels. Fun for some, but again, our taste is much more laid-back and rustic, hence our stay in St.Johns.

Very close to the airport (less than 1/2 mile), but still cost us $24 in taxi fare. Breakfast an additional $17 per person (we didn't partake). Lunch at the beach-side restaurant was good and the pina coladas hit the spot, but what I noticed most was the split personality of this hotel: tired and weary travelers biding time before their flights home and party-hardy young folks drinking, flaunting, flirting, and buzzing about. We took the free shuttle to the other Best Western by the airport (Carib?) for dinner at Fajitas. Dinner so lackluster, lack of charm, lack of flavor. Plus my painkiller was awful and the bill for four was over $100. What we tried to save in taxi fare would have been better spent spending the dough to get into Frenchtown and getting a pizza at Pie Hole.

Rooms are clean and large, all are oceanfront, though somewhat obstructed by the trees and foliage. Request one on the second floor, far away from the beach bar if you want peace and quiet. That said, I didn't sleep well for the thin walls, short sheets, and malfunctioning air conditioning. Pleasant front staff, always very courteous and helpful. Totally adequate hotel for our needs, though forgettable.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
BWPlusEmeraldBeach, Manager at Emerald Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

We do welcome your comments and appreciate your feedback. Our goal is to respond to these reviews and improve in any areas that were of concern to our Guests. We do attract a variety of visitors and try to offer a comfortable, clean, friendly and affordable oasis where our guests can relax, enjoy, renew and rejuvenate!

It seems that you are a frequent visitor to the area and we would love to have you visit us again when your travels bring you back to St. Thomas. Please contact me if I can offer you any assistance when you are planning your next trip.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Very nice 1 nite stay. A beautiful beach and view from our room. Very clean. Had a great dinner here at their restaurant, then ate breakfast here in the morning. My wife and I sat on the beach after breakfast and hated to leave to go to the airport. Our cab driver told us this is the nicest beach in St Thomas.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

I am thrilled that you had the chance to visit Emerald Beach Resort on your recent trip to St. Thomas. Next visit you will have to stay with us longer than 1 night! We do have a wonderful location on one of the most beautiful beaches on the Island and are located near the airport, which is a nice convenience for our guests and you would never know that the airport is nearby!! Every room does have a fantastic view of the beach and is just a few steps from the water’s edge.

Thanks again and see you next trip!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
#1 of 5 in East End
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast

Been to Emerald Beach Resort? Share your experiences!