My wife and I went in the last week of February this year with 2 other couples and loved the US VI. We have vacationed in mexico, Dominican republic, Aruba. We will go back, here are the pros/cons:
1. US VI safe, friendly but costs more than trips to say Dominican, Cancun. You get drinkable water and nice security for your money. We felt safe taking ferry's to any of the islands/beaches and had a great time. They speak English and take US dollars.
2. This hotel was clean, rooms was nice, we actually loved 1st floor (contrary to other reviews) as the 2-3rd floor views were in places limited by palm trees and we could readily walk up the beach, around the corner and into the room.
3. All drinks/beer run 5-7$ per drink. To save money take a taxi to the local grocery store, but your own rum and supplies, a 5$ cooler if ya want (though we didnt need one as there is a room refrig for beer). This trick saves a lot of money. Also a 12 minute walk away is a small market with food stuffs and drinks though costs a little more.
4. This beach was open to cruise ship visitors which was actually cool--new/different people in the afternoons. We were always on the beach in plenty of time to nab chairs which never was a hassle as the cruise ships dont really arrive until 10am and most cleared out by 2 pm. If you hate crowds then this is not the beach for you but in 45 min (2 taxi's and a ferry) you can be on more secluded beaches on St. john's island for a total travel fee of about 24 dollars one way per person.
5. We will go back to the US VI but would likely not stay at this resort mainly because we would rent a house with a kitchen to prepare 2 meals a day (food was costly at all places on the island) and because I cant spend that kind of money again and be so close to the airport. I havent had time to look much further yet at other options so close to the water, (and we LOVED being right on the water) but we fell in love with US VI.
6. Our favorite places to eat: The Twisted Cork (was a bit more but amazing quality food and service), Hook-Line and Sinker great Mahi Mahi grilled (best we had) and the lobster awesome here, Molly Malones (fun open air atmosphere, great service and tuna steak great, the conch dinner here was generous and great). For excursions Simplicity Charters wins our best day ever award: sailboat tour, great lunch and drinks, snorkeling and drop off at 2 private beaches. Breakfast and lunch at the emerald Beach was great and competitive pricing. We had the Friday night Caribbean buffet and all of us were disappointed by the quality of food, but the other nights with the restaurant seemed to serve better food according to other patrons.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The only 100% beachfront resort on St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands! Tucked into sun-splashed Lindbergh Bay on the Island of St. Thomas, the beautifully appointed Emerald Beach Resort welcomes guests with the gracious look, style and service of the Virgin Islands' rich heritage. BIG King Size Beds and Spectacular Views from EVERY ROOM! FREE High Speed Internet Access. Flat Screen TVs with Cable TV, 100% Beachfront Views with Balcony and Adjustable air-conditioning. Surrounded by landscaped gardens, cascading waterfalls and lush tropical settings, the Emerald Beach Resort offers a central, convenient location close to the airport, shopping, championship golf and all of St. Thomas's great activities and adventures. With the bounty of land and sea captured in stunning views, it's the perfect place for a memorable vacation. Or an unforgettable wedding, meeting or corporate event. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, BookIt.com, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Emerald Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Emerald Beach Hotel Charlotte Amalie
- Best Western St Thomas
- Best Western Emerald Beach Resort
- St. Thomas Best Western
- Emerald Beach Resort St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands