“Beware”

Windward Passage Hotel
St. Thomas
“Beware”
Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

This Hotel is the worst I have ever stayed at. They are rebuilding it from 10 in the morning until 5 in the afternoon with jack hammers, compressors and almost every construction tool you care to mention. The noise outside our room and the pool was so loud aftet 2 hours my ears were ringing. I booked two rooms but I and my companions were forced to leave for another hotel, to make things worse they charged my card with the full amount on booking in and now i have to fight to get it returned. I am contacting a lawyer.
Stay away from this if you want to enjoy St Thomas.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Kathryn M, Public Relations Manager at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear JDK7269:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. All comments, both favorable and unfavorable, provide valuable feedback so that we may continue to improve our quality and customer service. I apologize for the disturbance you experienced as a result of our renovations. We are making improvements to our 2nd floor pool deck and surrounding areas; we try to schedule the active construction during the day when the majority of our guests are off property, either on business appointments, or enjoying St Thomas.

As for the charges to you credit card; if your reservations were booked through a third-party broker, sadly we are not in a position of authority to reverse the transaction. If you booked with us directly, I urge you to give us a call so that we may rectify this for you. We can be reached toll free at (800) 524-7389.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed May 17, 2014

Stayed two night at different times. Staff weren't very friendly or helpful. Sheets and towels had stains and one room in our party had a mouse in it. I also left my eye glasses in the room the first night when we came back a week later and asked about them they were very confused and not helpful at all. They even told us the maid found them and put them at the front desk but then they couldn't find them at the front desk. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Jon455:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am pleased you found our location convenient and enjoyable; we are quite fortunate to be in such close proximity to many fine attractions. I regret your room was not to your satisfaction in terms of cleanliness, there is no excuse for that; and I am terribly sorry we were unable to locate your missing eyeglasses. There is clearly a need for improvement in the communication between departments and staff members, I believe that will greatly improve over-all customer service. I am very grateful to you for bringing this to our attention.

I hope you will visit us again someday so that we may restore your faith in our facilities and service.

Travelers are raving about these Charlotte Amalie hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I wouldn't stay there again, at the Holiday Inn A.K.A Windward passage hotel . The infrastructure of the building is falling apart . AC units makes the rooms smell like urine and they have mole . My shower curtain had mold on it . I was moved once the incident was reported . I also observed that the pool had no chlorine smell , the water had visible hair and trash floating in it. Housekeeping manager was more helpful than the staff . Reservation was good and the front desk as a whole service was poor to needing to be retrained on customer service . They ( front desk ) seem to be very unorganized . At a rate of $214.00+ per night I honestly expected a higher quality of care and concern for me as a guest . There was no mentioned of renovation and for the last two days of my stay , I was awaken by drilling and noise .

Room Tip: My best advice would be NOT to stay there.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Kathryn M, Public Relations Manager at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear AC R:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. All comments, favorable and unfavorable, provide valuable feedback so that we may continue to improve our quality and customer service. I am so sorry you were displeased with your stay with us; it seams everything that could have gone wrong, went wrong. I have shared your candid remarks with our various department heads and steps are in place to ensure cleanliness, courtesy and comfort moving forward.

We are currently making improvements to the 2nd floor pool deck and surrounding areas; active construction is scheduled to begin at 10am and end by 4pm. The majority of our guests are off-property during the day either at business appointments, or enjoying St. Thomas. I am terribly sorry we woke you.

We hope you will visit us again someday, so that we may restore your faith in our hotel.
Tega Cay, South Carolina
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Actually spent a week in St. John and decided to spend a night in St. Thomas before returning to the states. Windward is an older hotel, but my room was clean, and all the appointments worked fine. It is an easy walk to all the shopping in Charlotte Amalie. Ordered an outdoor breakfast before checking out and the food was excellent. Would recommend Windward for a short stay in Charlotte Amalie.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Tom K:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, and for your kind remarks. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our accommodations clean and comfortable. We are very fortunate to have such a great location, convenient to downtown and in close proximity to many fine attractions.

We look forward to serving you again!
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed May 11, 2014

This is the second time I have tried to like this hotel. The first stay included rude personnel, ants in the bathroom and no internet. There was an overall lack of customer service.

This time, I was given a room that smelled like urine and had a patio door that was unlocked. In fact, upon inspection, no lock exists on the door. When I called the front desk to complain, they changed my room without even offering an apology. Since I knew I would be on a flight arriving late, I specifically asked when I made my reservation how late the bar served dinner. I was told 10 pm. At 9:45 when I arrived at the bar, I was told the kitchen was already closed. No one in this hotel seems to care about the guest's experience.

The convenience of the hotel's location right on the harbor at the seaplane and ferry docks are the only reason to stay here. For me, I'll figure out an alternative in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear tapestryoftravel:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. All comments, favorable and unfavorable, provide valuable feedback so that we may continue to improve our quality and customer service. I regret the state of your room upon check in, there is no excuse for that. Moreover, I am appalled at the aloofness in which you were addressed. It is apparent there is an immediate need for additional training and coaching in that regard. I am extremely grateful to you for bringing this to our attention.

uk/usa
Reviewed May 11, 2014

stayed one night while waiting for a seaplane. average quality hotel, staff fair. location central, good for overnights if catching a ferry. we got a room at the rear of the hotel facing the noisy ghetto----into the night loud voices, music, motorbilkes, barking dogs, roosters-----not good. so, if you are going to stay here, get a room facing the sea and main road-----it has to be quieter than facing the hood. probably would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear mjccta:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am pleased you found our location convenient to the BVI ferry dock and the St Croix Seaplane Shuttle. I'm sorry you were disturbed by the sounds of the surrounding neighborhood. It is a shame that some members of our community do not adhere to the noise ordinances that are in place. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our quality of infrastructure; maybe it's time for additional insulation in the northern facing guestrooms. Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us.

We hope you visit us again one day!
W. Pa
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We booked 4 rooms in the Windward Passage Hotel so that we wouldn't need to rush getting to our Flight back home from St. Thomas after sailing through the BVI's for 8 days. There were 4 couples in our group. Ups, it's convenient to the Ferry dock, within walking distance. We Booked through Tingo and our room rates came down, so we received a refund on the difference.
The Hotel was decent, a lot of business people stay here.
In one of the rooms the carpet was soaking wet upon entry, as the air conditioner had a major leak. Our friends called the front desk and were asked "Do you want us to bring towels to sop up the water?' Their reply was, "no we want another room". Back to the lobby and 45 minutes later they finally got another room.
The rooms were clean, served our purpose for one night, so we could get our next day flight home.
We enjoyed the pool and lounge area. There were very few people in the pool.We were provided with beach towels from the front desk.
The courtyard was very pretty with beautiful statues and umbrellas tables. Service @ the courtyard bar is quite slow and the bartender couldn't make a pina colada.....When a group of loud obnoxious business men arrived with their foul language it was time to go....
Half of our group ate dinner @ the hotel and the other half walked into town and found a nice restaurant. Our dinner was OK but over priced, we should have went out friends into town.
We had a quick overpriced breakfast before we had to catch our pre arranged transportation for our 10am flight.
The Hotel was adequate for our needs, but I wouldn't plan to stay here for a vacation destination.

Room Tip: We had a corner room that faced the baseball field, did not have any problem with noise from the roa...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Firstmate362:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am pleased you found our location convenient, and our property adequate for your brief stay. It appears however, that you received less than stellar service at the bar and from the front desk; that is unacceptable. It is clear that there is a need for additional training and coaching for some of the members of our staff in that regard. I am grateful to you for bringing this to our attention.

We hope you will visit us again one day, so that we may restore your faith in our hotel!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Windward Passage Hotel? Share your experiences!