Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed due to a natural disaster.

“Convenient and clean.”

Windward Passage Hotel
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The hotel is only a block from the ferry to Tortola and within a couple blocks of a few restaurants and many shops. Do NOT arrive early and expect your room to be ready. Arriving from Tortola early, I attempted to check into the room about 12:00. Not ready. A guy that walked in after me was rather dramatic with the clerk stating he specifically asked to have his room available early. It wasn't. I left, returing at 3:00. Not ready. Finally, at 4:30 when I returned it was ready.

I planned on eating at the outside restaurant on-site. They begin serving at 6:00 p.m., so I thought I would have a pre-dinner cocktail at the adjacent bar. After 15 minutes with no one behind the bar counter, I asked a waiter if those of us at the bar could get a drink. He said the waitress was 'in the back' and would be out soon. He gave me a menu. After another few minutes, I walked out. I'm surprised their management allows the poor service to have a negative impact on their revenue source.

The room itself was fine although the TV was an older style with much static on most of the channels.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Brendan M, Manager at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear James G,

Thank you for the review on your recent stay. We are very sorry to hear the difficulty you had during your stay, and appreciate you bringing these concerns to our attention. We understand your frustrations about your experiences, and have shared this feedback with our staff and management. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future so that we can offer superior customer service that you and all our guests deserve.

There are newer reviews for Windward Passage Hotel

Reviewed March 10, 2014

If you're looking for a hotel in the midst of everything, you've found it! It's close to downtown, the seaplane (so you can island hop), restaurants, and shops! The accommodations are better than average - clean and comfortable. Of course, an ocean view room is better than the standard room, but who cares??? You didn't go to St. Thomas to stay in the room! Get out there! I would totally stay here again! Oh, and the staff was friendly! See you soon, Windward Passage!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank 418ml418

Dear 418ml418,

Thank you for the stellar review of our Hotel! We truly appreciate you choosing to stay with us at the Windward Passage. Our staff will be delighted to hear your kind words. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

My wife got to the Hotel at 1pm. She was told it would be 1 or 2 hours before her room was ready. 1 group was there before her waiting in the lobby then after she tried to check in another group showed up. Both groups were given their rooms before she was. When she asked the person at the check-in counter if she had forgotten her. She just gave her a room with no other comments or apologies for the wait or why the 2nd group got their room before her.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve K

Dear Steve K,

Thank you for your review. We are truly sorry for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay here at the hotel. We would like to thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention. We understand your frustrations about your recent experience and have shared your feedback with our team so that we may be better prepared to assist guests properly in the future.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

This hotel worked out well for us. Convenient and functional with a clean swimming pool and lounge chairs and even a casino where i won $40! The location was great both in regards to being a 10 to15 minute taxi ride from the airport and 2 minute walk to the ferry terminal. Caution is advised if walking to the down town direction after dark. cross over the street to the water side so you can see around you.
No need to book a taxi from the airport and we walked to the terminal to review the schedules for the next day. No Ferry pre-booking needed, just show up 45 mins to and hour before departure.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Raj7777777,

Thank you for taking the time to write a great review of our Hotel! We are very glad to hear that you had such easy access to some of the amenities here on St. Thomas. Thank you again, and please come back to see us again soon!

Reviewed February 20, 2014

This is a perfect choice if you are on business. centrally located and close to everything. The rooms are fitted with comfy beds, a big flat screen tv and the amenities you expect to see. However, I could not locate a bench to put my luggage on and open it. It should have one. The standard room even has a desk, so whoever remodeled this did it for the business traveler. Internet was not working when I stayed, so that was a disappointment. But other than that I liked it. I beieve it would also be a good choice if you want to be close to the tourist shopping área. I did not use the restaurant or bar services but if in this area you would probably want to go out for drinks and food. You can also run in front (there is a long boulevard type of thing great for runners by the wáter). The only other thing I want to comment is about the surrounding area. I had the feeling this is probably not a very safe area at night. Close to the property on my way to the restaurants and shops there were the supermarket/ liquor store shops and some odd looking people drinking on the street. I would keep away at night from walking there. other than that, I recommend it. But for business, is not a family hotel nor a romantic spot.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Brendan M, Manager at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear acodon,

Thank you for staying with us at the Windward Passage! We greatly value the reviews of all our guests, as it helps us improve our quality of guest service and accomodations. Our entire team will be pleased with your positive feedback. We thank you again for taking the time to recommend our facility to fellow travelers. We hope to see you again on your next trip to St. Thomas!

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Felt it was time for me to write a review for this property as we have stayed 1 night on the way to villa in STJ for the past 16 years including this past January 14 (was Holiday inn back then). I have nothing but positive feedback regarding this hotel, while I probably wouldnt book a full vacation there it is a great stop over for a night or two. Great location! walking distance to CA downtown and Frenchtown and a quick cab ride to or from the airport. Have been treated well by front desk and other staff at the hotel. While some areas of the hotel are "well used" there is nothing shabby about this hotel and have always found it to be clean. More often than not we find ourselves in the rooms facing the harbor with a great view. We also have enjoyed sitting at the hotel bar by the pool. I have read many reviews that knock the hotel and staff and feel these are guests have unrealistic expectations of this hotel. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend the Windward Passage to a friend.

Room Tip: facing the harbor and high floor
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear kmf417,

Thank you for the loyalty you have given to us over the past 16 years. We truly appreciate the great compliments and thank you for making us your stop over on your way to St. John's. We are very happy and grateful for your recommendations to other travler's coming to this area. See you on your next trip!

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We normally stay at some very nice hotels when we travel, so our expectations are pretty high. We were part of a large group which stayed at the Marriott Frenchmen's Reef and this place was an overflow for those of us who could not get into the Marriott. Our room had a sign that said to not open the balcony sliding glass door for our own safety. The room, and hotel in general, was filthy. My wife and son refused to take a shower here. We thankfully only had to stay for one night.

We heard terrible things from others in our group about their experiences as well. Not worth it at any price. I've stayed in some rough places with fishing buddies on guy's fishing trips, but never a dump like this.

I do not understand the other reviewers who say that this was anything other than a dump. What kind of places do you normally stay at?

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Brian21413

Dear Brian21413,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We have recently updated all of our guest rooms, including new shower tiles and tiled flooring. We are concerned about the inconveniences you had encountered during your stay. Our goal is to provide clean and comfortable guest rooms and as well as excellent customer service. We hppe that you will give the Hotel a second look on your return trip to St. Thomas!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Windward Passage Hotel? Share your experiences!