“I wouldn't go there again”

Windward Passage Hotel
michigan
“I wouldn't go there again”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

The Windward Passage has very poor customer service in my opinion. We booked at windward passage.com for a two night stay. Our flights were delayed and we missed the first night. I called the hotel directly and they said they couldn't modify our reservation because we booked online .I asked for a manager but had to leave a voicemail because she wasn't in. No phone call back. Upon next day check in we were told no manager available to speak with. We were going to be charged for both nights. THEY HAVE A THREE DAY PRIOR TO ARRIVAL CANCELLATION POLICY. This problem was not taken care of until checkout and forty minutes standing at the front desk. They really didn't care if we were happy or not. Rooms were not very clean and smelled moldy. Also, to top it all off I was sent an email by management after staying there to let them know how our stay was. I replied with most of the wording I have used here. I pushed reply send and then it said Unable to deliver that email! A direct reply. Guess they really don't care how your stay was. Avoid this place when in St. Thomas!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Brendan M, Manager at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear dianawrdh23,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay here at the hotel. However we are dissapointed to hear about your experience and would like to thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention. We understand your frustrations and have shared your review with the hotel manager so that necessary changes can be made. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future so that we may deliver the superb customer experience that you and all our customers deserve.

The Windward Passage Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Hungarian first
Bowling Green, KY
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night in order to catch ferry to BVI.The hotel served this purpose well.vNot a resort hotel nor does it claim to be. Price was not out of line for its location. On plus side it is close to shops.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear treecatcher,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate any and all feedback on our Guest's stay. We hope you stay with us again on your next trip to St. Thomas!

Windward Passage Management Team

Travelers are raving about these Charlotte Amalie hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 30, 2014

So, I had to book a hotel room at the last minute in St. Thomas. The walk from the ferry, not bad at all. I requested a room for Sunday, no problem, just $239 with tax. Fine, I need a room. Came back on that Sunday and said that I am here checking in. I told them my name. "We don't have you checking in today." "Excuse me." "What is your name again?" "Oh, we had you for the 24th and the 25th. Why didn't you show up on the 24th?" "WHAT. I came in here last week and requested one night stay for tonight. I did not request a two night stay on that day." "Oh" as she hands me a paper to sign indicating that it was OK to charge my card for two nights "just sign here and we'll take care of it for you." "Ma'am, I'm not signing this. I need to know that I will be reimbursed for the extra night that I did not request." "Yes, you should." "No, I need to hear 'I will' not 'I should.'" "Well, I can't promise you anything, I have to talk to my manager first." "No, ma'am. I need to speak with your manager."

Needless to say, they did reimburse me. Though I did not think it warranted a back and forth argument.

I check in. Walk into my room. No pillow cases on the pillows. I go back to the front desk and request for some pillow cases and 4 extra pillows (I had three family members sharing the room with me.) "Oh, yes, no problem." 6 hours later, I received my pillow cases and extra pillows.

That night, we called Pizza Hutt, which is right down the road, for some supper. Go to check out, 75 cents was charged to my room. I have never heard of anything like this before! What a way to end a great vacation.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Glen Mills, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Thank goodness we only had to spend 1 night here. The room was so over priced for no amenities. We did get to hang by the pool and there is free wi-fi. Our room didn't have towels or cases on the pillows. It took over an hour to get those delivered. I'm sure if we weren't there on a Sunday it would been more enjoyable but it kinda sucked. The bathroom was gross. The water continually changed temp in the shower. We were even charged to use the phone to make a local call.

There are many affordable hotel options in St Thomas. Check those out before choosing to stay here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sarah G
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Its well-located. Supposedly it was fully renovated. I'd say our room looked more like non-renovated or renovated badly. It was a bit shabby. some of the people in our group didn't have hot water; some didn't have any water.

Room Tip: The front rooms had a nice view of the harbor. The back rooms were noisy.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Was there last week and found the place quite nice. OK, it is not on the beach, but the location is nice, the rooms were nice, the bar was nice and the staff was great. The only con I would give the place is do not eat breakfast at the restaurant, pricey for what you get. Other than that, you are a 2 minute walk to the ferry, a 7-8 minute walk to Frenchtown and a 5 minute walk to shopping and restaurants.

Room Tip: Front side faces the water
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Pittony
Reviewed January 23, 2014

This hotel is nice and located within walking distance of he shopping district in Charlotte Amalie. This location is across the street form the bay where all the cruise ships dock. It has a rather small outdoor pool on the second floor. No beach at this hotel. Rooms are very clean and modern. Food and drinks are pricey on the entire island.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Windward Passage Hotel? Share your experiences!