“Avg hotel...good location”

Windward Passage Hotel
Port Charlotte, Florida
“Avg hotel...good location”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed one night on way to Tortola by Ferry. This hotel is walking distance to downtown and across the street from Ferry Dock, convenient. Hotel rooms are old, but clean. Good, reasonable cost place to overnight on the way to your real vacation. Not a resort hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms face a large center court. Higher floors are probably quieter. One elevator...rooms on op...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Hungarian first
Philadelphia, PA, United States
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Was going to St. Thomas on business and one of the gentlemen I was coming to see mentioned the Windward Passage due to it's location along with a couple of others. I checked out the website and decided on the Windward. First of all they must have closed the hotel for weeks and done a total makeover for the pictures that are listed on the website. Not even close. I am curious to know where the beach is that they show a towel with a big W on it? I couldn't see a beach within a mile of the place. Check in was quick and painless. When I got to my room it definitely was not one of the updated ones as the only clean part of the room was the bed. I guess if you need something in the room to be clean the bed is what I would want. Would have been curious to have had one of those blue lights though. Being there for business it was important for me to stay connected and I was not. The Wi-Fi is spotty at best, if and when I could get a signal I was constantly disconnected and asked to sign in again. So I basically gave up on it and tried to hard wire into the internet modem in the room. Once again I could not gain access to the internet. My room was on the 4th floor of the side of the hotel with a gorgeous view of dumpsters and a bar called the Big Cock Bar. I wouldn't say the bathroom was dirty but definitely outdated. Water in the sink came out in a trickle with no hot water. Toilet did not flush completely and was always thinking it was going to overflow. There are only 4 floors and although the elevators were very nice and clean I like to walk at least downstairs. The 1st floor of the stairwell looked like a sewage pit. Trash was everywhere.

I did try and use the gift shop but they were unable to bill things to your room and being in a rush just gave up on it. The next day I brought cash with me and was told she needed to go to the restaurant for change. I bought a Gatorade with a $10. so she locked up and we walked over to get my change. We had breakfast in the restaurant which was ok but not served what we had ordered. You know what they say when you send food back so we just ate what we were given. I don't think the people in St. Thomas were very friendly in general so I can't put that one solely on the hotel. The day we were leaving my colleague had asked the front desk at 11am to get us a taxi for 1:30pm to the airport. When we came down no taxi had arrived so we asked the reception if she had called. She said just have the bellman flag one down. After 10 mins the poor old man came back and said you are going to have her call you one. Isn't that what we had done already? So she called and said they would be there in 5 min. Ride to the airport was fine but didn't realize it was $30.

I will have to come back to St. Thomas 2-3 times a year for my client and will never stay at this hotel again. I do not even know what the hotel had to offer as there was nothing in the room that would have told you. Website says room service but as I mentioned I had no idea for what. If you are anything but a young group of kids looking for a decently priced place in close proximity to everything then I would recommend going elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Duckster77

Travelers are raving about these Charlotte Amalie hotels

Reno, Nevada
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The Windward Passage is in town. This makes it convenient to visit shops and restaurants in the immediate vicinity. I ate dinner at Golden Dragon Restaurant next door for $7 for Chicken and Rice. There are stores in town to buy jewelry, alcohol, or souvenirs. It is also convenient to take boat to St John or Tortola in British Virgin Isles. There is a TV in room, one channel of which is devoted to informing you about sights and things to do on the Island. The hotel has a modest swimming pool. It also has a restaurant, dive shop, spa and exercise room. Moreover at night there are slot machines for entertainment. There is also a bar with a TV depicting games to watch while you drink your margaritas. The room I had contained a king bed and a refrigerator to store your drinks. The room was always air conditioned; so you always feel cool while you escape the hot sun. I personally walked to the supermarket the Pueblo to buy drinks and salads to store in refrigerator. You can drive and take a taxi to any beach on the Island and vary your swimming location. For security the hotel is surrounded by a gate which requires a key pass to enter at night. Then there are two elevators to reach floors 1 - 4. The hotel is currently undergoing restoration of a section of rooms. People arrive here to stay the night before going to Tortola or use the hotel with car rental to visit other beaches or attractions of Island.

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor do not require elevator.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Balldancer
Walpole, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed June 8, 2013

The hotel was clean, convenient, and not expensive. Perfect for one night on the way to or from your actual vacation. They did have a useable pool, again no frills- but good enough for a nice dip after a day of travel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Maura C
Ilkley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Excelllent location for catching the ferry to BVI - quite a commuter hotel. Bit run down - although not as bad as I was expecting from other reviews. Bathroom not very clean - in terms of tiles, and round the taps. Hairs in the bath had to be removed prior to use. Used the pool which was okay. Benefits are being close to the airport as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 7, 2013

The hotel is located very close to the airport and very close to town. I stayed there for four nights while in St. Thomas on business. I arrived on a Tuesday night around 930pm; check-in was extremely fast and I was in my 3rd floor room in 5 minutes. The room was clean and well-furnished. The A/C worked great. The in-room Wi-Fi was slow. My room faced north towards the residential neighborhood behind the hotel. There was a lot of noise from the neighborhood at night; mostly loud music and partying. The noise continued every night until 1 or 2 am, but the A/C on full blast drowned most of it out. I had dinner at the outside bar twice; the food was good albeit arrived a little slow. Maid service to the room was done flawlessly every day. This hotel is very good for business travelers as there did not seem to be a lot of families with young children staying there; mostly couples and other business travelers. Very good value on an island where everything is very expensive.

Room Tip: Request the fourth floor, pay extra to face the harbor as it will be quieter hearing the light traff...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank William J
SAINT PETERSBURG
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We spent a total of 4 nights here and enjoyed it immensely. The guidebook describes this as a businessman’s hotel, which is very accurate, but it also makes an excellent tourist hotel. Our room had a comfortable king bed, free safe, excellent free wi fi, large screen tv, plenty of lightning, fridge, and a large desk with several available outlets. I would rate it comparable to a Holiday Inn. It is in an excellent location right on the sea front and had a bus stop directly in front of the hotel. You can go into Charlotte Amalie or to Red Hook in one direction or to Emerald Beach in the opposite direction. It is easy to walk one block behind the hotel to the main shopping street for cruise ship people and then all the way down into town and the main shopping mall, cable car, and cruise ship terminal. We made our 3-night reservation through Expedia and had no problems. We had 1 extra night and were going to stay at Emerald Beach but the Windward Passage was so pleasant we stayed here instead and just went to the beach for a day trip. The hotel staff was very friendly in booking the extra night at the same price as Expedia. This hotel is not a beach resort but it is an excellent place to stay while visiting St. Thomas.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Windward Passage Hotel? Share your experiences!