“Worth the walk”

Galleon House Bed & Breakfast
Reviewed September 26, 2013

My wife & I just spent five nights at the Galleon house. When the taxi dropped us off and we saw all the stairs, we were very surprised, but we knew we had to get to the top to check in. We were given the room with the best view, and they were not kidding. I would of had to pay a great deal more for this balcony and bedrooom view. It was magnificent. Breakfast was cooked to order each morning and was great, with each dish having very fresh fruit. We went to the downtown area everyday and walked back and forth at least twice a day and we just adapted to the steps There are a great number of steps but it just the exercise you need. The pool was really clean and really nice.
Thank you to Chris, Gail, & Jeff we had a great time.

1  Thank Michael B

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Great location! Good views of harbor while enjoying a tasty breakfast, and good coffee.
Room was nice, AC worked good. Bed was comfy, and quite area. Lights outside keep it from needing any socket nite lites, for bathroom trips in the dark! Jeffery and Gail are very friendly.

Room Tip: Room # 102 has a great view of the harbor!
1  Thank grandessolar
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The Galleon House was a great base for my weeks' wandering & diving around Charlotte Amalie and the US Virgin Islands. I had a great time, and thought the place lived up to its billing. My room was almost too large for one guy, the shower was huge, the view of the harbor & hills was great, and the quiet nights lent me the chance for some much-needed rest. This would be just the place for singles and young couples looking for a good place to stay while exploring. The three flights of stairs up from the street might be a bit tough on the elderly, though. Oh, and Chris, Jeff & Gail give great advice; remember to use the $2 Safari Taxis!

Room Tip: You can get a room without a bathroom for a bit less, but I preferred my own bathroom - and the huge...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank AussieJonno331
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My husband and I were attacked by bees while asleep in our room at the Galleon House. I woke up after being stung to discover heaps of bees next to my head and many in the bed and on the floor of the room and bathroom. (I have a photo, if you doubt my description.) We have tried repeatedly to speak with the owner to be sure future guests do not have this experience AND to receive a discount on our stay (we rushed out before breakfast was served, as you can imagine). But he refuses to respond. The hotel staff were kind and sympathetic but the owner appears to be only concerned about taking the money and not with customer service. He is lucky we are not allergic to beestings or he would have a death on his hands.

Avoid this place!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank maraith
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My wife and I arrived on 30 August for a one night stay. The area is "historic" and this means a few things you should be aware of. The facility is several flights of stairs from the street, which is difficult if you are elderly or out of shape and carrying bags. There is limited parking during the day as it is in the Government building area. The room was a room, clean and tidy, but nothing unique or special. The staff at the time - Jeff - was very friendly and helpful with dinner suggestions.

The bad ending came in the middle of the night (0330) when I woke after being stung on the elbow. I didn't see the culprit and didn't want to wake my wife, figuring it was an aggressive mosquito. It wasn't. My wife woke at 0630 when she was stung on the neck and woke to find a "clump" of bees on the bed in front of her face. While some of them seemed to be alive, the majority of them were more than lethargic and apparently dying. Suffice it to say, she was somewhat upset. We also found several more dead ones on the bedroom and bathroom floor.

We brought this to Jeff's attention, who was not thrilled with the idea and discussed it with his boss when she arrived. She attributed it to the city cutting weeds in a nearby field and spraying (which probably accounts for the dying bees). We left as soon as we could (well before checkout time).

Despite both my wife and i being stung (and fortunately not allergic), there was no mention of any refund or discounted amount. And the owner of the establishment has yet to contact us about how we are doing.

Room Tip: Lots of steps.
3  Thank Robert J
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

My fiance and I loved it. Spacious rooms, great view of the town and a incredible staff. The only issue is your a bit away from the center of town, but for such a great price im satisfied. After our wedding my fiance and i plan on vacationing in St Thomas again. We'll definitely stay at the Galleon!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I arrived at the Galleon on 11th June and stayed 5 nights. I arrived very late but staff were flexible and very friendly. I was there for a family funeral and my aunt insisted on staying with me for 4 nights as it can be a little dangerous in downtown Agnes Fancy but staff were relaxed and did not ask for more money or make us feel uncomfortable. They even gave her breakfast on 3 mornings as part of the price. The room was spotless and the bed was fantastically comfortable. There was a lovely pool, but beware the mozzies, and staff signposted us to activities in the bar or local area every day. The hotel was very well situated too right in the centre of Charlotte Amalie. The only down side is that there are lots of steps up and this is not great for the elderly or disabled. A good value, safe and friendly spot for tourists and travelers alike. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: My room did not have any windows but it was very pleasant nevertheless.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast

Been to Galleon House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!