“Great No-Frills B&B in Paradise”

Galleon House Bed & Breakfast
Guam, Mariana Islands
“Great No-Frills B&B in Paradise”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The Galleon House was a great base for my weeks' wandering & diving around Charlotte Amalie and the US Virgin Islands. I had a great time, and thought the place lived up to its billing. My room was almost too large for one guy, the shower was huge, the view of the harbor & hills was great, and the quiet nights lent me the chance for some much-needed rest. This would be just the place for singles and young couples looking for a good place to stay while exploring. The three flights of stairs up from the street might be a bit tough on the elderly, though. Oh, and Chris, Jeff & Gail give great advice; remember to use the $2 Safari Taxis!

Room Tip: You can get a room without a bathroom for a bit less, but I preferred my own bathroom - and the huge...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank AussieJonno331

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Boston, MA
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My husband and I were attacked by bees while asleep in our room at the Galleon House. I woke up after being stung to discover heaps of bees next to my head and many in the bed and on the floor of the room and bathroom. (I have a photo, if you doubt my description.) We have tried repeatedly to speak with the owner to be sure future guests do not have this experience AND to receive a discount on our stay (we rushed out before breakfast was served, as you can imagine). But he refuses to respond. The hotel staff were kind and sympathetic but the owner appears to be only concerned about taking the money and not with customer service. He is lucky we are not allergic to beestings or he would have a death on his hands.

Avoid this place!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank maraith
Watertown
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My wife and I arrived on 30 August for a one night stay. The area is "historic" and this means a few things you should be aware of. The facility is several flights of stairs from the street, which is difficult if you are elderly or out of shape and carrying bags. There is limited parking during the day as it is in the Government building area. The room was a room, clean and tidy, but nothing unique or special. The staff at the time - Jeff - was very friendly and helpful with dinner suggestions.

The bad ending came in the middle of the night (0330) when I woke after being stung on the elbow. I didn't see the culprit and didn't want to wake my wife, figuring it was an aggressive mosquito. It wasn't. My wife woke at 0630 when she was stung on the neck and woke to find a "clump" of bees on the bed in front of her face. While some of them seemed to be alive, the majority of them were more than lethargic and apparently dying. Suffice it to say, she was somewhat upset. We also found several more dead ones on the bedroom and bathroom floor.

We brought this to Jeff's attention, who was not thrilled with the idea and discussed it with his boss when she arrived. She attributed it to the city cutting weeds in a nearby field and spraying (which probably accounts for the dying bees). We left as soon as we could (well before checkout time).

Despite both my wife and i being stung (and fortunately not allergic), there was no mention of any refund or discounted amount. And the owner of the establishment has yet to contact us about how we are doing.

Room Tip: Lots of steps.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Robert J
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

My fiance and I loved it. Spacious rooms, great view of the town and a incredible staff. The only issue is your a bit away from the center of town, but for such a great price im satisfied. After our wedding my fiance and i plan on vacationing in St Thomas again. We'll definitely stay at the Galleon!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I arrived at the Galleon on 11th June and stayed 5 nights. I arrived very late but staff were flexible and very friendly. I was there for a family funeral and my aunt insisted on staying with me for 4 nights as it can be a little dangerous in downtown Agnes Fancy but staff were relaxed and did not ask for more money or make us feel uncomfortable. They even gave her breakfast on 3 mornings as part of the price. The room was spotless and the bed was fantastically comfortable. There was a lovely pool, but beware the mozzies, and staff signposted us to activities in the bar or local area every day. The hotel was very well situated too right in the centre of Charlotte Amalie. The only down side is that there are lots of steps up and this is not great for the elderly or disabled. A good value, safe and friendly spot for tourists and travelers alike. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: My room did not have any windows but it was very pleasant nevertheless.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed at Galleon House for just one night the evening before we had to catch a flight. We were there an hour before check-in time, but our room was ready, so we got to go right in. The room was nothing special, but perfectly alright, clean, in order, with good air conditioning and a decent shower in the bathroom. There is also a pool, which was small, but really nice because of the view on the town below.

What really made our stay five stars was the friendliness of the staff. The were very welcoming and helpful. When we asked for some thoughts on how to spend our last day on St Thomas, we got some great suggestions for places to visit and where to get dinner. We also ordered a rum punch, and I must say, it was one of the best I ever had (though that might have had something to do with how strong it was!)

If I had to come up with a negative, I would say that it was really no fun getting my (pretty heavy) suitcase up there, as there are quite a lot of steps and no way to avoid them. But I guess that's just inherent to the location...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Derry, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The pool is small, but I went to the hotel off-season, so I was always the only one in it! I had a pool to myself, basically! The room I had was a single bed, for a solo-traveler, and the air conditioning was above average. I really appreciated the quality of the climate in my room. You need good air conditioning, trust me, because walking up to the hotel is like going for a good 10 minute-extreme hike. The hill is not fun to climb, to get to your room, every time you walk down to Charlotte Amalie. Even if you get a cab to drop you off at the front of the building, the entrance, there are still quite a few steps to get to your room. This is not the B+B's fault, St. Thomas is just a very hilly island.

The service was more than excellent here. The staff were always available for questions, suggestions, and even just to chat. The breakfast in the morning is not extravagant, and I don't think you could expect it to be, considering the great rates this hotel has. The breakfast is basic, I think there are pictures on here. It does the trick, at least until an early lunch. They have this 'bottomless mimosa,' where you get as many as you want for about $10 I think. THAT, you can't beat. I was feeling very good the one morning I chose to partake.

The area where the hotel is, is OK. Down the hill, and into town, you have to be a little careful at night (if you're walking to the Greenhouse, for instance). I got approached at night by this guy who claimed I was racist, just because I have white skin. He kept walking alongside me, all the way to the Greenhouse. There was an 80+ year old (no offense) security guard downtown, so I felt safe on the walk home, wink wink. I would recommend taking a cab at night anywhere in STT, unless you have a rental.

The pool, I'm coming back to this I know, but it's open AS LONG AS YOU WANT IT TO BE!! I'm sure staff would be upset if you were drinking and making noise, so they'd close it on you (as any good establishment would). But I'm a solo traveler, and I rarely drink, so they had no problem with me taking a 10pm swim, or even a 12am swim.

I have to tell you, because of the air conditioning, and sense of security (that at least I felt), I had one of the greatest nights' sleep, in my life, here at the Galleon House.

I've been to Marriott Frenchmen's Reef, here on a couple of occasions, and my experience here partly eclipses that. I found the "Frenchtown" area to be over-quiet, and boring. I just read that they had a multi-million dollar upgrade to the hotel, so it may be much better now. It may be the best. Next stop for me is the Best Western, in order to stay economical though.

I'm choosing another hotel, over this one, because I can afford it and I want a new experience. I would recommend this hotel. It's not the Ritz, but it's affordable, and cool. I would only stay here a few days, longer trips like over 5 days, I would recommend shopping around.

Room Tip: No room service, no gym.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
Point Pleasant Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End

Been to Galleon House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!