“I found Gold at the Galleon!”

Galleon House Bed & Breakfast
Leeds, United Kingdom
“I found Gold at the Galleon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

I arrived at the Galleon on 11th June and stayed 5 nights. I arrived very late but staff were flexible and very friendly. I was there for a family funeral and my aunt insisted on staying with me for 4 nights as it can be a little dangerous in downtown Agnes Fancy but staff were relaxed and did not ask for more money or make us feel uncomfortable. They even gave her breakfast on 3 mornings as part of the price. The room was spotless and the bed was fantastically comfortable. There was a lovely pool, but beware the mozzies, and staff signposted us to activities in the bar or local area every day. The hotel was very well situated too right in the centre of Charlotte Amalie. The only down side is that there are lots of steps up and this is not great for the elderly or disabled. A good value, safe and friendly spot for tourists and travelers alike. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: My room did not have any windows but it was very pleasant nevertheless.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Leuven, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed at Galleon House for just one night the evening before we had to catch a flight. We were there an hour before check-in time, but our room was ready, so we got to go right in. The room was nothing special, but perfectly alright, clean, in order, with good air conditioning and a decent shower in the bathroom. There is also a pool, which was small, but really nice because of the view on the town below.

What really made our stay five stars was the friendliness of the staff. The were very welcoming and helpful. When we asked for some thoughts on how to spend our last day on St Thomas, we got some great suggestions for places to visit and where to get dinner. We also ordered a rum punch, and I must say, it was one of the best I ever had (though that might have had something to do with how strong it was!)

If I had to come up with a negative, I would say that it was really no fun getting my (pretty heavy) suitcase up there, as there are quite a lot of steps and no way to avoid them. But I guess that's just inherent to the location...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Derry, New Hampshire, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

The pool is small, but I went to the hotel off-season, so I was always the only one in it! I had a pool to myself, basically! The room I had was a single bed, for a solo-traveler, and the air conditioning was above average. I really appreciated the quality of the climate in my room. You need good air conditioning, trust me, because walking up to the hotel is like going for a good 10 minute-extreme hike. The hill is not fun to climb, to get to your room, every time you walk down to Charlotte Amalie. Even if you get a cab to drop you off at the front of the building, the entrance, there are still quite a few steps to get to your room. This is not the B+B's fault, St. Thomas is just a very hilly island.

The service was more than excellent here. The staff were always available for questions, suggestions, and even just to chat. The breakfast in the morning is not extravagant, and I don't think you could expect it to be, considering the great rates this hotel has. The breakfast is basic, I think there are pictures on here. It does the trick, at least until an early lunch. They have this 'bottomless mimosa,' where you get as many as you want for about $10 I think. THAT, you can't beat. I was feeling very good the one morning I chose to partake.

The area where the hotel is, is OK. Down the hill, and into town, you have to be a little careful at night (if you're walking to the Greenhouse, for instance). I got approached at night by this guy who claimed I was racist, just because I have white skin. He kept walking alongside me, all the way to the Greenhouse. There was an 80+ year old (no offense) security guard downtown, so I felt safe on the walk home, wink wink. I would recommend taking a cab at night anywhere in STT, unless you have a rental.

The pool, I'm coming back to this I know, but it's open AS LONG AS YOU WANT IT TO BE!! I'm sure staff would be upset if you were drinking and making noise, so they'd close it on you (as any good establishment would). But I'm a solo traveler, and I rarely drink, so they had no problem with me taking a 10pm swim, or even a 12am swim.

I have to tell you, because of the air conditioning, and sense of security (that at least I felt), I had one of the greatest nights' sleep, in my life, here at the Galleon House.

I've been to Marriott Frenchmen's Reef, here on a couple of occasions, and my experience here partly eclipses that. I found the "Frenchtown" area to be over-quiet, and boring. I just read that they had a multi-million dollar upgrade to the hotel, so it may be much better now. It may be the best. Next stop for me is the Best Western, in order to stay economical though.

I'm choosing another hotel, over this one, because I can afford it and I want a new experience. I would recommend this hotel. It's not the Ritz, but it's affordable, and cool. I would only stay here a few days, longer trips like over 5 days, I would recommend shopping around.

Room Tip: No room service, no gym.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Josef H
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

It was a great spot in Charlotte Amalie, just back off the main street and nothing was too far away! The staff were so friendly and very helpful at telling us where to go etc! The breakfast was nice each morning and there was a selection of 3 ranging from a fry up, to pancakes, to fruit! It filled us both up every day!
Our room was very dated, and there was a chunk of wood missing by our door handle. We got bitten every single night by mosquitos and our air con dripped every day until one hour before we checked out, then the man came to fix it!
We had a balcony and the view was beautiful looking down at the sea and also up into the mountains.
It was a great location but the room itself wasn't great!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

This bed and breakfast sucks!!! Thank God, my husband and I olny spent only on night at the Galleon House. I am sorry to say, but for $150 room, the room was very average. The furniture looked old and used. The full size bed was deffinately an old mattress that squeaked. it is a total dump. This hotel is so cheap that they could not provide any shampoo or conditioner in the bathroom. Only two sets of towels. There should have been at least four bath towels in my option. We lost electrical power someitime during the night and early morning. It got warm in our room pretty fast. Therefore, we had to get dressed in the dark. Oh and no blow dyer(but then again no electricity) Lots and lots of steep stairs with no hotel assistance with our luggage. it was quite a climb and we consider ourselves pretty fit. Very poor hotel service. There are better hotels to stay on the island for alot less money and hassle. I wish I could have gotten my money back from the very start..

Room Tip: Go elsewhere my friends. This hotel is not worth the money.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank yvonne w
Stockport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Good Points, Central location, v comfy double bed, great small and relatively quiet air con unit, flat screen tv with cable, cool water available for free at reception, vending machine for cool drinks at reception, friendly staff, helpful information folders at reception, only 10 mins walk to ferry terminal to visit other Islands, decent b/fast which is scrambled or fried egg, two rashers of bacon or 2 small sausages, 2 pieces white or wheat bread, or a fruit plater or pancakes are available instead. A small glass of orange or cranberry juice is also provided.
Not so good points, my room door (333) was wide open on arrival, would have been nice to have at least the door shut and preferably the air con unit on prior to my arrival as they knew my arrival time from the airport, I also got bitten several times whilst reading local information pamphlets in the room, they might not have got in if the door was shut. Towels and sheet linen had finger sized holes in them, the towels were very worn and really need replacing soon. If you are in the rooms next to reception be aware that the walls are very thin and you can hear everything.
If you are reading this then you have probably made the decision to be in a central location in the downtown area, however be warned, after around 6pm very few places are open, I walked around for 40 minutes before I found a place to eat, unfortunately the only place I found open was a Macdonalds about a kilometre away. Also be warned do not walk along a road called back street late at night (called Wimmelskaft on google maps) which is 1 block back from main street, I did, looking for somewhere to eat and even early in the evening it is full of druggies and drunk locals.
For info its $8 in a shared cab from the airport to this place, they also charged me another dollar for my backpack. Dont expect to get a cab to yourself, they are all minivans which they fill up and send to several destinations.
I used the local bus to travel around the Island, pretty good, $1 or $2 depending on how far you travel, small open sided trucks with bench seats in the rear, they come along every 10 - 15 mins, however they only stick to one main route around the Island, CA to Red hook via the Tutu mall in the centre of the Island, they do not go to Magens bay or the beaches on the South coast. Also note you have to pay an entrance fee to some beaches like Magens bay beach. This was $5 plus a parking fee if you hire a car.
In Summary this B&B is fine if you choose to stay centrally on St Thomas, however having toured around the rest of the Caribbean Islands I would not choose to stay at St Thomas again, the USVI's are very overpriced, especially for accommodation, try another Island such as St Marteen where they have fantastic free beaches with plenty of night life at a third of the cost for accommodation...

Room Tip: Try for a new room up the steps past reception, they looked to be built with block work rather than...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank chris l
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I were in St. Thomas for our honeymoon as a present from her grandfather. We stayed at the Galleon House our last night and it was truly a great experience. We had to change locations on the island before our check-in and they were happy to let us drop our bags and hang out by the pool. We even went down and had lunch before moving into our room which was great. Very clean room, amazing breakfast (strongly recommend Chris's pancakes) and an awesomely friendly atmosphere. If we ever get the chance to make it back down to St. Thomas we will definitely be staying with them again.

It is a bit of a hike up the stairs to the main patio so pace yourself and just enjoy the island!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple