“St Thomas's Hidden Gem”

Galleon House Bed & Breakfast
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“St Thomas's Hidden Gem”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Alright, I love the Galleon House. It is by far the cheapest place to stay on the island. It is safe. And it is right in downtown Charlotte Amelie, just above the city with great views. It has a porch facing the city and overlooking their little pool. In the morning they serve a complimentary home made breakfast. The rooms are a little bare, but comfortable and clean. The air conditioning works, and this place is about half as expensive as any other place on the island. What more can you ask for?
I have read some of the other reviews and have to agree that it is not for everyone. You have to walk up quite a few steps to get up there, and it is not the Marriott so don't expect it to be. I have stayed here twice, once in 2009 and once in 2011, and I never had an issue with uncleanliness or bugs of any kind.
That being said, I love the ambiance of the Galleon House. The owners are really nice. And nowhere else on the island can you get a centrally located hotel that provides you with breakfast for under $100. I would specifically recommend this place to a younger crowd looking to do the Caribbean on a budget.

Room Tip: Get directions to the Galleon House BEFORE you get here. The first time we came we had a GPS, but b...
1 Thank Havalemon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed October 27, 2011

We only stayed one night and were upgraded to a harbor view room. Very much enjoyed our visit at the GH. Nice pool, wonderful breakfast, beautiful view, easy location to get to the waterfront and downtown. The new innkeepers, Chris and Trish, will do everything to make your visit a very good one. Notice I said NEW innkeepers. When I first read Tripadvisor comments about GH, I was totally confused. There were some really bad ones and some really good ones. Now I get it! Chris and Trish took over GH on August 1, 2011. They are young, vibrant, and willing to make changes to improve GH...and they are! The prices are still the best in town. THey CAN'T change the STEPS, so be prepared for the exercise. WE already made our reservations for February and look forward to staying there again!
And, of course, they can't change Charlotte Amalie. I had heard it was dangerous after dark, so we ate early along the waterfront, and got back shortly after dark. Because we were there on Sunday, the restaurant, Herve, right next store was closed. Exercise caution around town after dark, but don't let that deter you from staying a this family-feeling B&B. If you want the Marriott or the Westin, then go there, but if you want charm, friendly service, complimentary cooked to order breakfast, great location (but lots of stairs), and all very reasonably priced, then stay at GH. If you have any questions about GH, call Chris or Trish, they won't steer you wrong. (I never met Stephen). Good luck on your search.

Room Tip: The habor view rooms are very nice. However, there are a few more steps the higher you go. Call th...
2 Thank Leslie21403
Beaufort, North Carolina
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay.The price was great and we enjoyed the view from our balcony in our room. Chris, Stephen and Trish are great host, they make a wonderful homemade breakfast to your order. Great location, just a short walk to downtown. Kevin our taxi driver was always there to pick us up and drop us off on time. We'll be back, thanks guys.
From your musician couple from North Carolina.

Room Tip: you might look at the rooms on the first floor, otherwise more steps to take.
1 Thank Rosemaryand C
Portland, Maine
Reviewed October 14, 2011

We arrived early and the staff helped us by letting us check in early. They were helpful in finding a good restaurant for dinner and arranging a cab to the airport the airport. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The location is very good in the center of town We would stay again and

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank mackjann
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I am a first timer to the Galleon House, but will be back for sure. The rooms are very nice, clean and comfortable. I love having my coffee on my balcony watching the boats come in the harbour. Besides the price of the stay so affordable and the wonderful homemade breakfast every morning, the best part is the staff. I love love love Chris and Stephen. They were so friendly and so very helpful. I will be definately be back to the Galleon house again soon, cant wait to see my peeps again...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank emily v
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Just made our return reservation and was pleased to get Stephen on the phone . I'm looking forward to our visit knowing that we can expect the same excellent service, friendly faces comfortable clean rooms gorgeous views and the best made to order breakfast ! We're breaking out our walking shoes!! Can't wait.

Room Tip: need to be able to climb stairs
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I alway enjoy my yearly visit to Galleon House (GH) and this year was no exception! I understand there is a new owner, Chris, although I didn't get to meet him. Stephen was working when I checked in and gave me the skinny on the local goings-on. This is my third year staying at GH. Although my per diem allots for a more expensive hotel I always stay at GH because of the great view, location, cooked breakfast, and service. Breakfast with the other travelers is always better than eating alone. If you are looking for a clean place with a laid-back feel at a great value, this is your place!

• Stayed September 2011
Point Pleasant Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa

Been to Galleon House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!