“Pretty friendly and decent pricing”
Review of A.H. Riise Mall

A.H. Riise Mall
More attraction details
Owner description: The A.H. Riise Mall offers the Virgin Islands' most extensive assortment of quality duty free goods; at substantial savings compared to U.S. retail prices. There is no sales tax in the U.S. Virgin Islands, so you save even more on your purchases. Enjoy the world's highest duty-free allowances on your purchases from the U.S. Virgin Islands. Shop with confidence... You can choose from the world's finest names in perfumes, cosmetics, skin care, jewelry, watches, spirits, tobacco, figurines, Caribbean gifts and more; all within one of the islands' most elegant and historic settings. Located in a series of beautifully restored 19th century Danish warehouses in downtown Charlotte Amalie, the A.H. Riise Mall is a destination for all visitors to St. Thomas. For your shopping convenience, A.H. Riise Mall offers two restaurants, Cafe Amici, an open-air Italian bistro and Calypso Cafe sandwich and coffee shop.
Charlotte Amalie, null, United States
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Pretty friendly and decent pricing”
Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

This is a good place to pick up wine on the island for a reasonable price. They even have half bottles of champagne when you don't want too much. The rum pricing is good but not quite as low as some of the supermarkets. Usually good service.

Worcester, Massachusetts
“POOR PACKAGING FOR TRAVEL”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I purchased 2 bottles of Vodka and 1 bottle of Limoncello. I told the salesman that I would have to pack them in my luggage. He said not to worry, they would be packed to travel. THEY WERE NOT. There was no cushioning in the box and one bottle broke during the flight home. We did not receive the box until 9 pm the night be fore the cruise ended. I sent an email which they never acknowledged.

Visited January 2012
East Brunswick, New Jersey
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Great selection”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

This place beats any stateside liquor store for quality liquor...place all the cool local stuff you're not going to find easily back home. Colognes & perfumes too. And then there's th cigars & cigarettes (if you're into that sort of thing). Great prices - they beat those you'll find in the airport.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank YatsJJ
Waxahachie, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Bewildering Variety and Great Service”
Reviewed March 4, 2010

I was directed to this store by the travel agent who helped me select a Caribbean cruise. He advised me that if I had my purchase with them completed before noon, they would deliver it free to the ship (obviously a Big Help if I were to purchase several liters of distilled spirits, for example).

The store was quite crowded with cruise shoppers, who must have had similar advice! The wares were stocked along both sides of a very deep store. Clerks were abundant and eager to assist you find what you were looking for, or to answer questions. They did not carry, for example, an Austrian rum I was seeking. On the other hand, when I asked they directed me to several port- and sherry-finished Scotches, available at amazing prices (amazing to me, of course). It was not long before Ihad selected one bottle of local rum, three liquers, a large bottle of Southern Comfort, and one of the sherry-finished Scotches. All arrived safely at the ship, packed in a very strong cardboard container which I simply placed in my luggage. They arrived safe and sound after the long flight home.

At the back of the store you wander into an area that contains fragrances and various similar gift items. Items purchased here are paid for in this part of the store. My wife found a wonderful value in a perfume, a gift for our office manager.

I was impressed with the selection -- even if they were missing one thing I sought. My wife reported similar variety and value from the perfume end of the establishment.

4 Thank William M
Nashville, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Missing Liquor after Flight Home”
Reviewed June 7, 2009

Warning: if you are flying home from St. Thomas, make sure any liquor box will fit inside your luggage, out of site of TSA and the baggage handlers. (like putting your purse in the trunk of your car)
We went to A.H.Riise on 5/7/2009 to purchase some liquor, our final stop before going to the airport for the flight home. The service and prices were good. I had room for a 3-bottle box in one piece of luggage, but decided to purchase 6 bottles (not enough room in the suitecase for the 6-bottle box) after the salesman stated that the airlines will check the liquor box as luggage for free. The airlines did check the box for free, stating no liability for damage to fragile boxes. However, when we arrived at our destination, 3 bottles were missing. Either TSA, or the baggage handlers at St. Thomas decided the could not resist the temptation when seeing the "A. H. Riise" logo on the liquor box.

4 Thank sunsetsSouthCarolina