“Great week at the Castle and liked the improvements there!”

Bluebeard's Castle Resort
Waltham, Massachusetts
“Great week at the Castle and liked the improvements there!”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

As timeshare owners at Bluebeard's Castle for the past 15 years, we must say that each year we see more and more improvements there. Most of the units have been renovated over the past year or so and those that are scheduled in the future will be done in the fall. The views of Charlotte Amalie and Havensight where the cruise ships dock are truly awesome! The Castle has 2 of the finest restaurants on site (Room with a View and Banana Tree Grille) that eliminate the hassle of deciding where to go out to eat! The Cabana Bar also has a good selection for those looking for a casual/light fare at night. The pool bar (Life's a Breeze) also has a good selection of sandwiches, salads, cocktails, etc for those who choose to stay at the pool deck for the day. Steve Buckley, the new manager of the SPM Resorts was very informative at the owners meeting and we were pleased with the plans they have for the future to cut down on utility costs. The staff was friendly and helpful, check-in and check-out was a breeze! The grounds looked great! Something has to be said for the owners who return every year and chose not to trade their week into RCI or II! Can't wait for next year!

Room Tip: Hilltops 1 and 2 and the Villas are closer to the pool and upper level of the Castle and have views...
2 Thank _julbaxter
seasoned_travler56, General Manager at Bluebeard's Castle Resort, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear JBB55,

Wow! Thank you so much for your wonderful review! As an Owner at the property for 15 years it means so much to us to hear the love you have for the Castle. It is truly a very special place.

We look forward to your return.

Steve Buckley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This hotel is wonderful! Before going down to St. Thomas, I really really wanted to stay at a hotel on the beach, but it was too expensive, hence why this hotel looked appealing. When I was in St. Thomas, I got to see other hotels when I was driving around. What I noticed was that their beaches are more like a plop of sand and not a gorgeous huge beach I was picturing. You'll definitely want to go to Coki Beach and Magens Bay and others that do not have hotel on them. So, it's not a bad choice to stay at a cheaper hotel and spend your money going to better beaches where snorkeling is AMAZING! :)

Also, Bluebeard's Castle Resort is a well-kept place with an extremely pleasant and ready-to-serve you crew. The staff called to get the taxis for me, and some of the time one was already there just waiting for someone. The view from my room was great! It wasn't even in the "best" side, which some people say is "ocean view", but I still saw the harbor and part of the sea along with a tall hill and lights from houses; Exactly what I was looking for. I'm 100% satisfied with my stay, and I definitely recommend it. Save your money, stay here, and go snorkeling a lot because St. Thomas is a spectacular and natural place for that! The hotel also has a few activities you can pay for and also can recommend excursions for you--very reliable people.

Room Tip: Feel free to ask the desk for advice on the rooms. They are happy to help. Any room that you can see...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Caribbean27
Dear Caribbean27,

"I'm 100% satisfied with my stay, and I definitely recommend it"

Thank you so much for your comments. “ Bluebeard's Castle Resort is a well-kept place with an extremely pleasant and ready-to-serve you crew. ” - how great is that!

Please come back soon!

Gibsonville, NC
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from St Thomas and our stay at BBC was great. The staff went above and beyond in making our stat enjoyable. I told them we were celebrating our 25th Anniversary and wanted to upgrade our room, they took it upon themselves to place fresh flowers in our room!! The resort is very clean, safe and well maintained. The restaurants are delicious and the staff very friendly and attentive. The views were incredibly beautiful; overlooking the city and bay, and the pool was awesome. Thank you so much for making our week in the island so special. We can't wait to stay there again next year.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Christopher788
Dear Christopher 788,

Happy Anniversary and thank you so much for writing and for sharing your thoughts on your visit to the Castle. It's so nice to hear about your excellent stay and the excellent service you received - that is what we all strive for!

We look forward to your 26th Wedding Anniversary with us.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Good stay, good room for longer stay at a very good price. Walk into town (but take a taxi back up the hill, too hot). Staff was always very helpful. Take advantage of concierage and special events to get aquainted with St Thomas. Taxi tour of the island with K9 Joe is a must. Sign up for it even if you are not a guest at Bluebeard's (reservations strongly recommended).
Nice pool with a view of the harbor. Relaxing after a day out and about.
Living room w/ balcony, bedroom, kitchenette and bath. Quiet location.

2 Thank visitingfireman
Dear visitingfireman,

Thank you so much for your terrific comments. We sincerely appreciate that you took the time to write.

I have to agree D'Reen and Joyce at the Concierge desk are a great wealth of information, I utilize them myself!

K9 Joe is an Island legend and we are so happy he picked Bluebeard's Castle as his base. Maybe it is our fantastic views and tranquility?

Please come back soon,

Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Overall nice place, we booked last minute due to another lodging falling through. Our room was in Hilltop II. We had a nice sized room, king bed, and kitchenette. There was a safe in the room which was convenient as well. Pool was nice upstairs, did not try the restaurants. Ice makers and laundry facilities if needed.

3 Thank Lucy G
seasoned_travler56, General Manager at Bluebeard's Castle Resort, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear LucyG,

We are so pleased that you enjoyed our king bedded room and all the wonderful amenities the rooms have to offer. On your next visit you must try the restaurants, you will be delighted!

Thank you for taking the time to write!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 18, 2013

That's the best advice I can give. Room with a View is great - especially their happy our Mon - Sat 5-7pm. FYI that the restaurants have different management than the resort, which probably accounts for the good service at the restaurants.

My room was ok. Would have been a 3 star (average) except that I couldn't open the bathroom door (the toilet blocked it), my stove didn't work when I got there (due to the breaker flipping on the stove which happened 4x while I was there - couldn't even flip it back for an hour until it cooled down!) and the staff was rude most of the time. Light switch in the bathroom arced every time I turned it on. Pulled the sheet off the bed and kept it by the balcony in case I had to make an emergency exit - since this unit was clearly a fire hazard. No, I'm not trying to be funny.

Thought it was somewhat odd that the staff kept knocking on my door several mornings to see if the unit was 'occupied' - I promptly told them yes, it was always occupied. Later on in the week someone told me they had their watch stolen from their unit.

Its a historic property - and that's cool. The outdoors on this property look nice - which is also cool. The restaurants here are great. The resort staff is pretty much hit or miss - mostly miss - there were 1 or 2 ppl that went out of their way to be nice and make accurate suggestions. The rest were ambivalent and gave me completely wrong information. Don't even think about staying here if you don't rent a car unless 1) you want to pay a a rude taxi driver who pretends like s/he doesn't even know where you are going (although they've lived there most of their lives) or 2) you want to climb up or down some really steep hills.

Next time I visit St. Thomas I'll stay somewhere else. There are plenty of other places to stay, go somewhere else.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank knitey
seasoned_travler56, General Manager at Bluebeard's Castle Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Knitey,

Thank you for your recent review of Bluebeard's Castle. We take all guest feedback very seriously.

I would be delighted to discuss your experiences further and I may be reached via email at sbuckley@spmresorts.com or directly at 340-774-1600. I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you and learn more about your recent time with us.

To all Trip Advisor readers and future guests we encourage conversation while you are visiting to resolve any situation that may be unsatisfactory to you. Your satisfaction is our #1 priority.

Northport, New York
Reviewed May 8, 2013

THis has been our 3rd year staying at bluebeards, the first year as a guest and the past two years as owners. The feeling is allways as if you are at home. The food , accomodations, staff , locality are top notch. It is affordable for the average family and will leave you longing for the time when you can return!!

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floors with harbor view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Judi O
seasoned_travler56, General Manager at Bluebeard's Castle Resort, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Judi O,

Thank you for such a thoughtful review. We love to hear from our unit owners as well as from our rental friends.

As you know the Castle is perfect for almost everybody. We are so fortunate to have folks like yourself that fell in love with Bluebeard's Castle and decided to make it a second home.

We look forward to your return!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
#1 of 5 in East End
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
#1 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Bluebeard's Castle Resort? Share your experiences!