“Wonderful Resort”

Bluebeard's Castle Resort
Gibsonville, NC
“Wonderful Resort”
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from St Thomas and our stay at BBC was great. The staff went above and beyond in making our stat enjoyable. I told them we were celebrating our 25th Anniversary and wanted to upgrade our room, they took it upon themselves to place fresh flowers in our room!! The resort is very clean, safe and well maintained. The restaurants are delicious and the staff very friendly and attentive. The views were incredibly beautiful; overlooking the city and bay, and the pool was awesome. Thank you so much for making our week in the island so special. We can't wait to stay there again next year.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Christopher788
seasoned_travler56, General Manager at Bluebeard's Castle Resort, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Christopher 788,

Happy Anniversary and thank you so much for writing and for sharing your thoughts on your visit to the Castle. It's so nice to hear about your excellent stay and the excellent service you received - that is what we all strive for!

We look forward to your 26th Wedding Anniversary with us.

Steve Buckley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Good stay, good room for longer stay at a very good price. Walk into town (but take a taxi back up the hill, too hot). Staff was always very helpful. Take advantage of concierage and special events to get aquainted with St Thomas. Taxi tour of the island with K9 Joe is a must. Sign up for it even if you are not a guest at Bluebeard's (reservations strongly recommended).
Nice pool with a view of the harbor. Relaxing after a day out and about.
Living room w/ balcony, bedroom, kitchenette and bath. Quiet location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank visitingfireman
Dear visitingfireman,

Thank you so much for your terrific comments. We sincerely appreciate that you took the time to write.

I have to agree D'Reen and Joyce at the Concierge desk are a great wealth of information, I utilize them myself!

K9 Joe is an Island legend and we are so happy he picked Bluebeard's Castle as his base. Maybe it is our fantastic views and tranquility?

Please come back soon,

Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Overall nice place, we booked last minute due to another lodging falling through. Our room was in Hilltop II. We had a nice sized room, king bed, and kitchenette. There was a safe in the room which was convenient as well. Pool was nice upstairs, did not try the restaurants. Ice makers and laundry facilities if needed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lucy G
seasoned_travler56, General Manager at Bluebeard's Castle Resort, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear LucyG,

We are so pleased that you enjoyed our king bedded room and all the wonderful amenities the rooms have to offer. On your next visit you must try the restaurants, you will be delighted!

Thank you for taking the time to write!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 18, 2013

That's the best advice I can give. Room with a View is great - especially their happy our Mon - Sat 5-7pm. FYI that the restaurants have different management than the resort, which probably accounts for the good service at the restaurants.

My room was ok. Would have been a 3 star (average) except that I couldn't open the bathroom door (the toilet blocked it), my stove didn't work when I got there (due to the breaker flipping on the stove which happened 4x while I was there - couldn't even flip it back for an hour until it cooled down!) and the staff was rude most of the time. Light switch in the bathroom arced every time I turned it on. Pulled the sheet off the bed and kept it by the balcony in case I had to make an emergency exit - since this unit was clearly a fire hazard. No, I'm not trying to be funny.

Thought it was somewhat odd that the staff kept knocking on my door several mornings to see if the unit was 'occupied' - I promptly told them yes, it was always occupied. Later on in the week someone told me they had their watch stolen from their unit.

Its a historic property - and that's cool. The outdoors on this property look nice - which is also cool. The restaurants here are great. The resort staff is pretty much hit or miss - mostly miss - there were 1 or 2 ppl that went out of their way to be nice and make accurate suggestions. The rest were ambivalent and gave me completely wrong information. Don't even think about staying here if you don't rent a car unless 1) you want to pay a a rude taxi driver who pretends like s/he doesn't even know where you are going (although they've lived there most of their lives) or 2) you want to climb up or down some really steep hills.

Next time I visit St. Thomas I'll stay somewhere else. There are plenty of other places to stay, go somewhere else.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank knitey
seasoned_travler56, General Manager at Bluebeard's Castle Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Knitey,

Thank you for your recent review of Bluebeard's Castle. We take all guest feedback very seriously.

I would be delighted to discuss your experiences further and I may be reached via email at sbuckley@spmresorts.com or directly at 340-774-1600. I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you and learn more about your recent time with us.

To all Trip Advisor readers and future guests we encourage conversation while you are visiting to resolve any situation that may be unsatisfactory to you. Your satisfaction is our #1 priority.

Northport, New York
Reviewed May 8, 2013

THis has been our 3rd year staying at bluebeards, the first year as a guest and the past two years as owners. The feeling is allways as if you are at home. The food , accomodations, staff , locality are top notch. It is affordable for the average family and will leave you longing for the time when you can return!!

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floors with harbor view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Judi O
seasoned_travler56, General Manager at Bluebeard's Castle Resort, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Judi O,

Thank you for such a thoughtful review. We love to hear from our unit owners as well as from our rental friends.

As you know the Castle is perfect for almost everybody. We are so fortunate to have folks like yourself that fell in love with Bluebeard's Castle and decided to make it a second home.

We look forward to your return!

Franklin, New Hampshire
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was not my first stay at Bluebeard's castle, I had been there in the past. I was there this time to meet friends on the beach for a Thanksgiving Day Holiday Picnic away from the cold. I stayed 10 days. I love the history in Charlotte Amille. I have always appreciated the historic site and scenic view. I appreciate being able to walk to town for stores and activities. I don't like the pool as much as some other resorts in St. thomas due to the ratio of guests using it to square footage available, but it is refreshing. I was very impressed by the room improvements that have been made in the last few years and ongoing, bringing the place back to a state of pride. I stayed in Hilltop II this time which I loved, loved! The room was fresh, furnishings very modern, and smelled extremely clean every where. I have allergies/asthma and some places with tropical weather have hints of mold or mildew. The view from all the rooms in this section is breathtaking. Frogs, Chickens, and Iguanas visit right outside your balconey! The staff (desk/housekeeping/porters) was wonderfully friendly and informative. The various restaurant operating hours are convenient. I really like how they had the activity descriptions and speakers at the beginning of the week. I was impressed by the offering of expertise exercise, mild yoga classes although I admit I slept in and didn't make it to one!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Rexy5K
Dear Rexy5K,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Bluebeard's Castle.

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments!

"The room was fresh, furnishings very modern, and smelled extremely clean every where"
"The staff (desk/housekeeping/porters) was wonderfully friendly and informative"
" I was very impressed by the room improvements that have been made in the last few years and ongoing, bringing the place back to a state of pride"

We look forward to welcoming you back .

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I just stayed there last weekend during the islands independence celebration because the hotel is within walking distance. This was not my first trip to the island or my frist stay at this hotel , but it will be my last. I ordered a burger from the bar, asked for the burger well done. One half was cooked perfectly the the other half not cooked red inside and out. when I returned the bar and showed the cook and the manager who also happened to be bartentering the cook was like so and all the bartender asked was do you want another, not to mention the ginderale my sister ordered was not only flat but when sher asked for less ice in the glass he stranded the soda from the glass instead of given her a fresh order and poured it back over the ice in the same glass. Sad. The following morning we went to the pool bar for breakfast since with four resturants this was the only one open and it just happened to be running really hard and you had to walk outside around the pool to get to the area where the setup is. It took the bartender also doubling as a waiter to come and give us a menu no sliverware, placemats, water,coffee nothing. we sat for at least 10-12 minutes. before we even were noticed we left.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank gloria k
seasoned_travler56, General Manager at Bluebeard's Castle Resort, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Gloria K,

We are very sorry about the poor service you received at the Pool Bar Restaurant. We will pass along your comments to the owner of the Pool Bar Restaurant; Michelle.

We do hope you will consider our outstanding accommodations when you visit the Island.
again.

The Island famous Banana Tree Restaurant and Room With A View only open for dinner. The Cabana Bar opens in the afternoon.

All restaurants at Bluebeard's Castle are independently owned.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
Point Pleasant Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End

Been to Bluebeard's Castle Resort? Share your experiences!