“Managed Property Management Timeshare” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bluebeard's Castle Resort

Bluebeard's Castle Resort
“Managed Property Management Timeshare”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Very good value for facilities.
While some timeshares are in the hospitality business, this one is in the property management business. All on-site food services are leased to outside parties (even the pool bar) and all are very good but that's just coincidental. Even the gift shop is a leased space. So here is a simple example: the gift shop sells postcards but not stamps so they suggested that we buy stamps at the post office. We asked the front desk to mail the postcards for us, which they did so I suggested that they tell the gift shop that they offer this service and the front desk simply replied: "we are not affiliated with the gift shop". The gift shop is right next to the front desk but as property managers, they see no need to coordinate service or add value for guests.

This is just one simple example - I could give more. The point is that the property is well managed but services are not related so you can't even charge a drink by the pool to your room.

The exception here is the amazing bell service. It's very odd but Sharon and her peers run a top shelf bell service. I don't understand how this fits the property management business model but it was a welcome service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a harbor view and have the building committed in writing. Each building is named...
2 Thank BrewsterPug
seasoned_travler56, General Manager at Bluebeard's Castle Resort, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear BrewsterPug,

Thank you for writing. We were glad to hear that you enjoyed a number of aspects of your visit.

You are correct we are a timeshare resort and we lease out our retail/restaurant space to private owners.

On the other hand the bell service is part of the resort/timeshare and we thank you so much for your kind words about the bell team.

While we do make suggestions based on guest feedback to the restaurants, gift shop, spa etc. it is ultimately up to our "tenants" on how they operate the individual space they are renting.

We will be sure to pass along your comments as they are very much appreciated.

Steve Buckley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
St. Thomas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Well, I can only be honest about our stay. The room we had was one of the time shares rooms. It appears that when the hotel is sold out, they rent out the time shares as guest rooms.The room was very spacious and very clean. the bathroom was about 90% clean... (hairs in the bathtub)... I was very very pleased with the last minute accomodations. I hope the standard rooms are as nice as the time shares.... Well this room was fantastic but the journey to get the room was not.

We made a LAST MINUTE reservation for the evening as we were in town for a business meeting that ran late. We first called around to other hotels and everyone was booked for some reason. So this property said they may have rooms available online, but we had to reserve on line, then come to the hotel.

Appearantly we couldn't just walk up and ask for a room because they couldn't sell us one that way. So, we got online, reserved a room, and drove to the hotel 20 minutes later (arriving at 8:15pm. Turns out, they said online reservations take over an hour to download or "appear" on their system.... therefore...we had to wait another 45 minutes to check in. Even the paper work we printed from the website was not enough to get us checked in. We sat there in the lobby for 45 minutes while other guests checked in... (we were SOO hungry and exhausted).

By the time the reservation popped up, the restaurant was closing.... My fiancé was upset... It also appeared like the guest attendant was being forced/obligated to assist us...(Isn't this your job...Customer Service..?) We headed to the car, to then drive on another side of the property to park infront of our room....

On the journey there, I realized that it was dark and late... therefore at the last minute, I turned the windows up. Thankfully I did, because seconds later, as I drove past one of 3 buildings to park the car in front of our unit, a beer bottle was dropped from a high floor and onto my windsheild! I was so frightened! I didn't know what it was, It was just a LOUD popping sound. When I parked, I saw the brown glass all over the car and the exterior of the rental smelled like alchohol ... so I know it was a beer bottle.... We walked back over to the scene to see where it came from and saw glass shattered all on the asphalt.. there was a man on his balcony who saw us.. .and said nothing.

We called the front desk and they didn't come off to be very concerned. ( Same lady who checked us in.)They apologized (which is manditory) but no follow up was made to us to determine what/why this happened. The morning after, the glass was all sweeped away from the street as if nothing occured and no further apologies or additional accomodations were made for us. Needless to say... we won't be back....

But again, the room was amazing!!!!

Room Tip: Request a harbor view room. No beach property but at least there is a view of the docks.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Kelicidy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the resort. We were disappointed to learn of the challenges you had with your reservation as well as the "journey to your room".

Please know that we do have security on property and the incident of a person throwing or dropping a beer bottle is totally unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

I assure you that the resort is committed to high standards and our team makes every effort to offer our guests the best overall experience.

I would also welcome the opportunity to talk to you further , please contact me at sbuckley@spmresorts.com or at 340-774-1600 ext 6001.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed 03/27 to 03/31/13. Rooms at nice size and very clean. All of them include a mini kitchen and a big balcony with beautiful views. Restaurants on the property are excellent. Besides that nothing good to add.
No daily housekeeping service, only once a week and it has a specific schedule so you may not have it at all depending on your dates and the building you are staying. Check out is at 10 am..,, and each additional our is $75, ridiculous !! We asked for a late checkout but was denied. No free Internet anywhere. The lobby has a guest computer to use at $5 for 10 minutes and if you need to print your boarding passes is 20 cents per black and white page. Not worth for the money just for the lack of customer service orientation.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear debreu_pr,

We are sorry to hear that your experience at Bluebeard's Castle was not a pleasant one. I assure you that our team works hard to make our guests’ stay an enjoyable one.

I would welcome the opportunity to talk to you further about this experience, please contact me at sbuckley@spmresorts.com or at 340-774-1600 ext 6001.

connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on several trips to St. Thomas but have to admit this year was the best! They have done some serious sprucing up and it showed. From the pool area to the grounds to the staff - everything and everyone was great!

2 Thank pengwn147
Dear pengwn147,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We really appreciate that you took the time to share your positive impressions and experience at our Castle. We continue to improve the property, so look forward to additional improvements when you next visit!

Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have stayed at Bluebeard's Castle several times for business purposes. The level of service has been consistent and the rooms have always been clean upon arrival. The castle sits atop hilltop, so there are great views of Charlotte Amalie harbor. However, there may not be a harbor view in every room, so make sure you ask when making reservations.
I have stayed in the Villas III, but most recently in Pirates Pension. My room did not have a smoke detector installed and the kitchen faucet did not work properly. However, the maintenance staff installed a smoke detector and replaced the faucet the same day that I notified the front desk about the issues, so they were very responsive. My room had a small kitchenette and a balcony with a nice view of the harbor and the cruise ship terminal.

Room Tip: I do not recommend walking to or from the property, although I have done it myself, because the road...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ramius44
Dear ramius44,

We are fortunate that many business travelers like yourself chose the Castle for there "home" while working on the Island. Our central location and resort amenities make business travel a lot more relaxing. After a hard day of work we have our world famous restaurants, refreshing pool and bars and if needed our business center for those last minuet projects.

I do apologize for the lack of a smoke detector. I am not sure if it was taken down to be repaired but what I do know is that it is unexceptionable. I am glad to know that it was resolved immediately and thank you for notifying the team.

We look forward to your next visit.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed at Bluebeard's Castle for a week in March 2013. The resort was upkept very nicely and we had a great time. Our room was clean and well stocked.

The best part about this resort is it's location. It is located on a hill overlooking Charlotte Amalie and is within walking distance of both the town and from Havensight Mall (where all the cruise ships dock). See pictures. All rooms have balconies that overlook the town and bay so it doesn't matter which room you get - your view is going to be outstanding. It's fun to watch the cruise ships leave at night and one night there were 7 in port.

The walk into Charlotte Amalie took about 15-20 minutes and was just under a mile. Be aware that you'll need to climb the hill back to the resort on your way back - it's pretty steep and a good workout. The walk to Havensight Mall was only .8 of a mile and took 10-15 minutes.

Parking is hard to find in town and we had good luck with walking into town with no problems. The service road to the resort leads down a back way and dumps you on Main Street in Charlotte Amalie. It doesn't get more convenient than that!

One of the best lunches we had on our trip was at the Life's a Breeze Pool Bar at the pool. The wraps are outstanding and a great price. We highly recommending trying the Chicken Bacon Ranch wrap or the Chicken Potato Jalapeno Burrito.

2 Thank Lisa H
seasoned_travler56, General Manager at Bluebeard's Castle Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Lisa H,

We are very pleased that you liked the convenient location of the Castle as well as our restaurant options. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations.

As I have mentioned before our historic charm, excellent customer service, spectacular views and our close location to everything makes us so very special.

Thank you for the idea of the delicious wrap at Life's a Breeze Pool Bar , I am going to try it!

Please come back soon.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Bluebeard's Villas in a studio with a queen bed. Check-in was a breeze and the staff was very friendly. The room was very nice and spacious complete with a kitchenette, sofa, and table for four. The bed was very comfortable and shower pressure was excellent. We had a nice patio with two chairs and a table that overlooked the harbor.
The property had a nice pool (it was too chilly to swim) surrounded by several restaurants and a pool bar. The deck area around the pool was spacious and the bar served reasonably priced food and good drinks.
The location is one of the best selling features of this property. 35 runs right by which takes you directly to Magen's bay. The villas are also just above the town - far enough away to avoid the mass of people from the cruise ships but close enough to go shop at the duty-free shops and enjoy the town.
Additionally, the property has a deli/market to pick up some picnic goodies and rentals for the beach including snorkel gear. One huge plus was the ample parking and security guard. We found that this was hard to come by in St. Thomas.
Overall, we would definitely stay here again and recommend to other couples and families.

1 Thank mayhew58
Dear mayhew58,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We really appreciate that you took the time to share your positive impressions and experience at Bluebeard's Castle.

I agree the location of the Castle gives the most outstanding Harbor Views and such easy access to all of St Thomas.

Please come back soon!

Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
#1 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,373 reviews

Been to Bluebeard's Castle Resort? Share your experiences!