“Not a keeper”

Bluebeard's Castle Resort
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
“Not a keeper”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Throw this one back in the sea.... The staff could use much training in hospitality and customer service. Surly, non-responsive, move at their own pace... my room had a broken a/c that I reported in the morning and wasn't fixed by the time I returned in the evening. The small exercise room reeked on mold and mildew. I would not return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
seasoned_travler56, General Manager at Bluebeard's Castle Resort, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Steven S,

We are sorry to hear that your experience at Bluebeard's Castle was not a pleasant one. I assure you that our team works hard to make our guests’ stay an enjoyable one and I apologize that you did not receive better service.

I would also welcome the opportunity to talk to you further about this experience, please contact me at sbuckley@spmresorts.com or at 340-774-1600 ext 6001.

Steve Buckley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2013

CHECKOUT NIGHTMARE.

9.30AM: Called reception for Bellhop to help us with large cases up stairs and then get in golf cart to checkout as we are a 5 min ride away. 15 MINUTES WAIT. no problem as we can understand busy reception.

10AM: Called again. ON HIS WAY. RUDE
10:15AM: ON HER WAY. RUDE
10.30AM: ON HER WAY. RUDE
10:33: ON HER WAY.

We have a cruise ship to get on at 11AM.....

I thought this would be a great stay as big room and historic. LOADS OF BUGS IN ROOM. We have a lot of bites from the sofa over our legs. It must be infested. But we are seasoned travelers and I work at sea so I can put up with that.

FINALLY OU BELLHOP HAS ARRIVED IT'S 10:36. ONE HOUR AND 6 MINUTES AFTER WE FIRST CALLED. UNACCEPTABLE.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Richard H
seasoned_travler56, General Manager at Bluebeard's Castle Resort, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear RichardH1976,

I am truly disappointed that we left such an unfavorable impression on you. I assure you that the resort is committed to very high standards. Our team makes every effort to offer our guests the best overall experience.

I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our resort is.

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Website shows newly renovated Villas III with a perfect view. Our Villas III was old and worn with a view of other buildings. Some cabinets had busted plastic, missing nobs on closet and outside doors that rattle etc We used paper wedges to be able to sleep. The balcony with a wooden plywood door was more of a french balcony. No chairs, nor could one fit. We could tell some of the units had a great balcony with view but were appearantly occupied by owners. If the management rebutts, I can post pictures.
One star for polite and helpful staff and one star for good food at the restaurants.
Don't forget it is on a killer hill. OK to walk down and only $8 for the two of us for a taxi ride home. Money well spent.
FYI Some say that St Thomas is a place best visited from a cruise ship. The shops and most restaurants close at 5:00 PM when the cruise ships leave port. Great swimming areas and places on the island with great views. Driving a car on the left side of the road is best not learned on steep windy roads.

Room Tip: Good luck. You have no control over picking a room. They said the computer assigns rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 202202,

First and foremost, we apologize that we were unable to meet your expectations.

Our gorgeous property has many different locations and views. From your comments I believe you might have stayed in the most historic part of the property which is desired by many for its historic charm.

When you visit us again please ask for Hilltop Villas or maybe Pirates Pension. While these areas are not as historic as the location I believed you stayed in, they will offer the "Castle" feeling and of course our wonderful views.

Please email or call me directly and I will be glad to assist you in finding the right location for you. My email is sbuckley@spmresorts.com. Or by phone please call 340-7744-1600.

Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

The experience overall was average. The one experience that really offended us occurred at the pool for breakfast. When we hadn't been acknowledged after waiting for 15 minutes I walked up to the counter and before I could even ask for a menu the cook said "what do you want?"
"The waiter will get to you" "Just go sit down and chill out." Unbelievable! We didn't go back there again for breakfast and we were there 7 days.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Jjensen1
seasoned_travler56, General Manager at Bluebeard's Castle Resort, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Jjensen 1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the resort. We were disappointed to learn of the challenges you had with the Pool Bar Restaurant.

All the restaurants at the Castle are independently owned. I will share your comments with the owner of the Pool Bar Restaurant.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your return.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I have been traveling for business for over 30 years and never had an experience like last week's. Disaster on check-in and especially check-out. Due to the mess on check-in, I asked my client who made the reservations to call and request a later check-out and was told by who turned out to be a manager no less that noon would be allowed. When I went to the front desk the next am to discuss something else, that individual LIED to me and the Manager about ever telling the admin at my client (one of the larger employers on the island no less) that she had approved a noon checkout. No way I ever go back (and I travel to STT several times a year) as long as Upper Management keeps liars (much less such poor front desk operations) on the staff. When a customer is told she has 15 min to get out of the room or security will be called ......but my room was very nice and the restaurants staff were much much better trained in the art of "customer service".

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear S C,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Bluebeard's Castle, it is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received.

If you wish to discuss your review further in detail with me, I can be reached directly at 340-774-1600.

I look forward to your call.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed March 4, 2013

To be honest, I was a little worry when I made reservations for the Bluebeard's Castle resort because I had bad experiences making hotel's reservations before. My husband and I were so glad we stood at Bluebeard's castle, the hotel is breath taking, so many history and the view is to die for. Every single personnel were super friendly with us, we didn't have any inconvenience at this hotel. The restaurant's food is very good especially at the Room With a View. The hotel is right in the middle of everything and there's always a taxi ready to take you anywhere you need to go. Overall, this was our best vacation ever and we are definitely going back and will be making reservations again at the Bluebeard's Castle hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room with the bay view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Carmen P,

usa
Reviewed February 27, 2013

very nice accommodations for price - two very good restaurants on site - staff very pleasant - $12 -25 dollar cab drive to beaches - we liked coki - great snorkeling - can walk to downtown - but hilly on way back

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
seasoned_travler56, General Manager at Bluebeard's Castle Resort, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear elizabethmcd,

Thank you so much for your comments. “very nice accommodations for price - two very good restaurants on site - staff very pleasant ” - how great is that!

Please come back soon!

Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa

Been to Bluebeard's Castle Resort? Share your experiences!