The winds from tropical storm Rafael would not allow our plane to land in St Thomas and our flight was cancelled. It would be two days until we could leave so we looked for a hotel. Bluebeard looked like it was a major deal so we booked it for the two night stay.
We were impressed when we arrived as it is in a really nice spot overlooking the cruise ship dock. A bellman took our bags and we proceeded to check-in. Again, beautiful views everywhere you looked and landscapes all very elegantly done. Check-in wasn’t flawless but the people were so nice and friendly that it didn’t much matter. We were driven to our room in a golf cart which was a nice touch after being jostled around at the airport. When we arrived at our room we were impressed at first; nice tropical layout, sofa, chair and table and chairs, but this wasn’t the king room we were quoted. We didn’t take issue with it as it was clean and we were VERY tired. The balcony offered up an amazing view, the bathroom was of a decent size, and the room had a ceiling fan. As tired as we were we ate at the hotel’s restaurant (VERY expensive) were that food was very tasty. We then went straight to our room to go to bed. The first night was a fairly good night’s sleep, even though the people next door were quite loud and the mattress was awful; thin and a bit lumpy. Plus, it seemed that the whole bed shook every time one of us moved. The ceiling fan squeaked at anything above low speed.
The next morning, we figured that there wasn’t going to be a maid service (there wasn’t) so that wasn’t an issue. We went to the front desk to get more coffee for the coffee maker, a taxi for an early departure, and a wake-up call. Well, it appears that the first night’s coffee is complimentary and you need to pay for it after that. Okaayyy… I’ll add that to the list of being nickel and dimed for things (ANY phone call was $1, internet access was $6/day, coffee was now at a cost…). They wrote down the wake-up call in a ledger. It didn’t inspire too much confidence on our part so we set some alarms – just in case. We were assured that a taxi would be waiting at the front desk. Once our alarms woke us up we understood that we weren’t getting our wake-up call. We got ready and hauled our bags UP to the front desk and waited for a brief time. The taxi finally did arrive and he was annoyed as he left the front desk explicit instructions to NOT make us climb up to the front desk and that he would meet us at the road. We never got that message.
Overall I guess we got what we paid for. The room was clean and adequate. Just don’t expect much in the way of service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bluebeard's Castle is an historic property dating back to the 1600's. The resort occupies an entire hilltop with spectacular views overlooking the harbor and town of Charlotte Amalie. Its signature red rooftops are among the first sights for arriving cruise passengers.The resort includes a centuries-old fortress bearing the name "Bluebeard," after the infamous pirate, and check-in takes place in the former residence of the Danish governor of the island. This tropical paradise is the perfect place for a private getaway as it is set on a secluded hilltop and overlooks the harbor of St. Thomas. Bluebeard's Castle is centrally located in the most desirable part of the island with world class shopping minutes away. With only a short drive from some of the most popular beaches in the Caribbean where you can enjoy boating, scuba diving, snorkeling and windsurfing. The island itself offers a wonderful assortment of duty-free shopping, world-class restaurants (including the top-rated ROOM WITH A VIEW on location!), hot night spots, and a variety of local flavor to satisfy every taste. This resort features history, breathtaking views, and easy access to town. Beaches are literally minutes away so you can visit them all including easy ferry rides to St. John and the British Virgin Islands (Tortola and Virgin Gorda). You will see why owners at the resort are passionate about their units. It is this passion that will once again be the reason that Bluebeard's Castle will become a sought after destination resort. Many lucky RCI members will take advantage of this now! The resort is in the midst of a historic multi-million dollar remodel that will change all that you have heard. The proof is found in our regular maintenance reports as well as our news and picture sections. Also, schedules of on-resort dining are now posted in these reports. Owners are excited about what the future holds and you should be as well. Spread the word. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Bluebeard's Castle Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bluebeards Castle Charlotte Amalie
- Hotel Bluebeards Castle
- Bluebeards Castle St Thomas
- Bluebeard's Castle Resort St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands