High atop Blubeards Hill on the edge of Charlotte Amalie sits Bluebeards Castle Resort. The giant multi acre resort's signature red roofs are a local landmark. The Pirate Bluebeard is said to have used the hill as a lookout in the 1500's and the Danes built or rebuilt the watchtower with 8 foot thick walls and the fortifications later after they conquered the island and took it from the Dutch settlers in the late 1600's. Today the old fortifications are part of Bluebeards Castle Resort. The recently renovated open air lobby has a historic feel to it because it was the home of the Danish Colonial Governor. The rooms are large and modern, originally built perhaps 30 years ago but now being completely renovated and updated. Most rooms have a small kitchen with hot plate, microwave, fridge, sink and all the dishes you need to prepare simple meals. There are 3 restaurants on site: Room With a View and the Banana Grill are fine dining restaurants with the expected higher Caribbean prices. The Cabana bar has a simple island menu and much lower prices but has the same view of Charlotte Amalie Harbor and the cruise ship port. Be sure to walk to town for the world class duty free shopping as Americans can bring back $800 duty free each and can combine the exemption with family members. Be aware that this hilltop resort has steps, lots of steps and is also 225 feet above town so it is not for the old or the ill. Healthy young people to retirees can easily handle the resort steps and others can always use the cheap and easily available taxis to go down to town. This is one of the best run properties in one of the best locations on one of the best Caribbean Islands.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bluebeard's Castle is an historic property dating back to the 1600's. The resort occupies an entire hilltop with spectacular views overlooking the harbor and town of Charlotte Amalie. Its signature red rooftops are among the first sights for arriving cruise passengers.The resort includes a centuries-old fortress bearing the name "Bluebeard," after the infamous pirate, and check-in takes place in the former residence of the Danish governor of the island. This tropical paradise is the perfect place for a private getaway as it is set on a secluded hilltop and overlooks the harbor of St. Thomas. Bluebeard's Castle is centrally located in the most desirable part of the island with world class shopping minutes away. With only a short drive from some of the most popular beaches in the Caribbean where you can enjoy boating, scuba diving, snorkeling and windsurfing. The island itself offers a wonderful assortment of duty-free shopping, world-class restaurants (including the top-rated ROOM WITH A VIEW on location!), hot night spots, and a variety of local flavor to satisfy every taste. This resort features history, breathtaking views, and easy access to town. Beaches are literally minutes away so you can visit them all including easy ferry rides to St. John and the British Virgin Islands (Tortola and Virgin Gorda). You will see why owners at the resort are passionate about their units. It is this passion that will once again be the reason that Bluebeard's Castle will become a sought after destination resort. Many lucky RCI members will take advantage of this now! The resort is in the midst of a historic multi-million dollar remodel that will change all that you have heard. The proof is found in our regular maintenance reports as well as our news and picture sections. Also, schedules of on-resort dining are now posted in these reports. Owners are excited about what the future holds and you should be as well. Spread the word. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Bluebeard's Castle Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bluebeards Castle Charlotte Amalie
- Hotel Bluebeards Castle
- Bluebeards Castle St Thomas
- Bluebeard's Castle Resort St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands