“Home Away From Home!”

Bluebeard's Castle Resort
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Come here every two years. Love the views, and restaurants on site, Room With A View, Banana Tree Grill, and the pool bar, Life's A Breeze! Friendly, knowledgeable Bartenders!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank mark s

Reviewed July 4, 2012

I will return! This is a rci property, so no daily housekeeping, but they will give you whatever you need. Huge rooms. Heart for a family of four. Three restaurants on the property. Great location. Make sure you go to Spy Glass in St Johns for the fried keylime pie!!!!!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank FDSJR1975
Reviewed June 26, 2012

The pros:
Beautiful views of St. Thomas, very nicely landscaped, rooms were clean and recently updated. We stayed in Villas I for our honeymoon and were impressed with how spacious it was. Very large living area, huge bedroom, 2 bathrooms, small kitchen (no oven, just a stove). It was great to have a kitchen to make some meals in the room as food prices are outrageous everywhere on the island (even the super market). Of the 3 restaurants onsite we frequented Room With a View for their happy hour - food and service were great. Steve the bartender was super informative and helpful about things to do in the area. The pool is a good size and very refreshing. We went off-season so it was very quite and we had the place to ourselves for the most part.

The cons:
Staff are not overly friendly or helpful; VERY disappointed in the concierge- she was not at all informative about excursions, restaurants, or things to do in the area. The very basic information she gave we could get out of a travel brochure. If it wasn’t for the great bartenders we met at Room with a View or Hotel 1829 we wouldn’t have known what to do or where to go.
No room service - no a big deal but you have to make your own bed and clean up yourself
Not much night life/minimal activities onsite - you need to go off site for entertainment and beaches and they don't provide any shuttle service. It's quite a hike up the hill but do-able if you're in shape.
Roosters wake you up at 6am but it does add to the island charm.

Room Tip: Book in the renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank junerin00
Reviewed June 20, 2012

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, I was not particularly excited about our visit to St Thomas. This was our sixth trip to St Thomas and we have always stayed at the Marriott. We rented a timeshare through RCI and stayed in Villas I. The room was large, clean and comfortable. Our room had a full size refrigerator, two-burner stove, dishes and utensils along with two full bathrooms and two balconies overlooking Charlotte Amelia and the harbor. This was our sixth trip to St Thomas and we have always stayed at the Marriott but will consider staying again at Bluebeard's.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less "rooster noise". We kept the door closed and never heard them.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank beachgirl1285
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I recently stayed at the Bluebeard's Castle Hotel on the Hill. The view of the bay was stunning, the staff were professional, genuine, warm and friendly and very helpful to me. My room had a panoramic view of the bay, a kitchenette, sofa and chairs, really two rooms and two baths, and it was simply lovely. Cleaning service is once a week, but there are plenty of towels, more than I needed even. The pool is overlooking the bay and the sailboats. I had dinner at the Banana Tree Grille, which is upscale, lovely, great service and with windows open, a warm breeze coming in, and a panoramic view of the bay, music playing softly, couldn't have been nicer. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank travelguest382
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Unless you have no expectations and the view is good enough, keep away from this property.

As the rude, front desk manager explained - This is a Time Share Resort and they don't provide hotel services. No daily room servicing, swap your towels mid week by putting them in a bag outside. No new soaps, No new coffess, No servicing at all. That may be acceptable to someone looking for self-catering lodging, but as a hotel guest and even in the worst establishments, these are the basic of hotel services.

This is not even taking into account the moderately clean condition upon check-in, the aged rooms, puddles of water everywhere, a/c issues that were looked into sometime 24 hours later, and the overall total lack of any hospitality attitude. Wrap this up with the roosters that are very loud at sunrise which this time of year is somewhere around 4:30am!!!!.

The only thing that was done any speed or efficiency was the immediate charging of my credit card for the entire stay at the time of check-in. I was immediately expected to haul my own bag and hunt down the bellman to store my bag until the room was readied for check-in. Later in the day, it seemed like I killed his mother when I requested that he take my bag to my room. I should have cancelled then and moved to a real hotel.

On the positive side, the independently owned restaurants on the property were very nice as was ONE front desk women who was friendly and followed-up. She also didn't quite understand the lack of hotel services or management/owner cutbacks.

As I said above, unless you are just looking for a bed and a view.... keep away and stay someplace that knows that they are a hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
9  Thank HomeIsT5
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Dear HomelsT5,
Thank you for your review. We apologize your experience at Bluebeard’s Castle did not meet your expectations. We strive to ensure that each guest at our property is greeted with a smile, that their room is clean and in working order upon arrival and that you have a positive stay. We consider all comments concerning Bluebeard’s Castle as a constructive tool to keep moving in a positive direction. Our assistant general manager did attempt to reach you on multiple occasions to find out if we could assist you in any way, but was only able to leave voicemails. We are evaluating our weekly cleaning schedule to see if there is anything we can do to accommodate travelers such as yourself who would like daily housekeeping service. Additionally, as you mentioned, we are a timeshare property, and therefore provide different services than your typical hotel. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused. Again, thank you for your review.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised during my stay at Bluebeard's Castle. The room was spotless and well-appointed and I did not even realize it would be equipped with a full-sized refrigerator and stove. What a nice bonus. My room had a super comfortable bed and a great view. I had a nice lunch at the poolside bar and an excellent dinner at Banana Tree. The service was top notch. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012
#1 of 1 in South Coast
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Bluebeard's Castle Resort? Share your experiences!