“Not worth the money”

Bluebeard's Castle Resort
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Charged $12/per day/per person because we were an RCI exchange. Buildings FiLthy, when it rained, huge amount of water in front of our unit and they would not clean it. No hot water, one small TV bolted to sitting room wall; would not swivel so you could not see it from bedroom. Towels & bed linens were extremely old. They only exchanged them if you called them. There was a building outside our room that was dilapidated--not a vice view to see for a week. Roads in/out of property were extremely bad. This property is not secured. No security on duty even though they say they do.

Room Tip: There was no room service or spa so I didn't rate it.. Good things about this property were: the...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travelingran_shtn

Reviewed May 10, 2012

Well like others on here I had a very hard time getting someone in reservations. This was after I made the reservation but I don't remember what I needed to do but no one that answered the phone could help me and said I could only speak to reservations. Well one Wednesday I called at noon and was told the she (reservations is one person) had left for the day. I called back the next day on Thurs and was told she was off. Again she was off on the third day calling which was Friday and then told that she does not work weekends. I gave up and stopped calling after my 3 Monday phone calls when straight to voice mail. Not quite sure how people can make reservations for this place.

Anyway I was not expecting any pleasant surprises with the way things had gone so far. So when I checked in and the woman at the front desk was ultra rude I just thought well luckily the room I booked was the cheapest in town at 89 a night over Spring Break.

Well every experience after that was perfect. I was provided with a room in the tallest building (this was not by the check-in agent but probably one of my message left for reservations) that faces the harbor. The view was spectacular. I walked in and the room was huge. I had just spent a night on St Croix and the hotel was twice as much but not as nice. I flew over for job interviews on both islands.

So huge room with a full size kitchen. A full size fridge and even a dish washer. There was a living room area and a lovely balcony where I sipped my coffee in the morning. The room really was large and because I was in the tallest building on the top floor I really had to have the best view.

I ate in two of the resaurants and both times I had great service. I was pricing out Bluebeard's Castle Hotel for some other people and the next few months it is 79 a night. I don't think it gets cheaper then this in STT.

By the way to the many people that complain about roosters on all sorts of reviews you must get over it. The property cannot do anything and roosters are everywhere. I live in Puerto Rico in Ocean Park and right now at 4 AM (Just finished studying) there is a very loud rooster.

My last apartment we had roosters and chickens that would fly into our yard and we didn't even know who the owners were. I go to Walgreens and there are chickens in the parking lot. These are islands people and even though Puerto Rico has 4 million people there are chickens everywhere. So if they are here, they are definitely going to be on St Thomas where the population is less than 50K. It is an island thing and you no one really can control the chickens.

I put a pillow over my head at Bluebeard's and at home and the roosters and chickens go away.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank ChanelCinq
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Big room, a fantastic and comfortable king size bed, front desk clerk was so friendly and helpful..!!!
The "Room with a View" restaurant offers an exquisite seafood cream very tempting for seconds....the view is breathtaking and the art gallery (which I wanted to have in a photo but did not) was like a dream.

It rained a lot but still was so romantic. The hotel is clean. I will go back!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lynettecardona
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Good - views, size of rooms, convenient location

Bad - noise from roosters and carnival week goes on all night, service from front desk (main lady) is HORRIBLE, 1960's decore. Check your sheets very carefully - ours were dirty (we think somebody was sleeping in them). Pull them down completely and check carefully. Don't know about the restaurants, didn't bother to eat there - looked poor. Speedbumps will take out a muffler and grounds are full of potholes. Difficult to get clean linen. I rate it a C-

Ugly - St. Thomas in general is not my idea of a Caribean vacation spot. The people are unfriendly, the town is unclean, there is nowhere to get decent food from the grocery store, no good restaurants, poor hotels. In general, there is nowhere to stay, nothing good to eat, and not much to do but swim at the beaches or go to St. Johns. BEWARE - DO NOT drive north of 308 (main street behind 30), we did and it was scary, a local resident warned us not to go there after we came out of it. Things are chaning here, do your homework and DO NOT trust the brouchures and pictures, St. Thomas (and most of Carribean) is not what they show you it is - the money has left this place.

Bottom line, St. Thomas is boring and this 'resort' made us feel unwelcome

Room Tip: Get the Villa's (2 rooms) and avoid all else
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Axehead
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Huge room/suite, large balcony with a great sunset view, several restaurants, good staff, great value for the price. Stayed here one night on my way to Virgin Gorda. I'd definitely stay again. Only downside is that if you aren't into walking up and down a hill to get to town, then you have to have a rental car or call a taxi to visit town, the marina, or grocery.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank xcntryrider
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This place has almost everything...good service, great views, good restaurants on the ground, swimming pool/spa, and all for a very reasonable price. Yes, it is not a beach front property; but at the end of the day, you do not miss beach, you just want a great place to relax on your vacation. Yes, this is the place. We stayed here on for 3nights before leaving for St John, and believe it or not, my husband and daughter rated this place better than the beautiful St.John island! My husband already is planning our next trip to USVI, this time the whole stay will be at BlueBeards castle :-)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Mita3174
Reviewed April 20, 2012

I recently stayed at Bluebeard's Castle in St. Thomas. Although the room was very nice and spacious with a great view of the harbor, I was very disappointed with the overall service at the property. Unfortunately, this was familiar pattern at other establishments that I visited in St. Thomas.

The main problem was that the electricity went out on the first night in the dining and living room areas. When I plugged in a lamp to turn it on, a circuit blew and the electricity went out in those areas. I was going to call the front desk, but the phone didn't work. Since the front desk was far away, it was late and I was extremely tired, I decided to report this in the morning.

The next morning I reported these problems to the front desk. The front desk clerk didn’t seem to care and when I told her about the phone not working, she said that was the case for some other units and that they were working on it. I told her it appeared I had some messages, and she just said “oh.” I then asked her to check since she made no motions to do so, and she said there was no way to check. I asked her when the phone problem would be fixed, and she said she didn’t know. I then told her about the electricity problem, and she said someone would work on it while I was out. She didn’t write anything down, but I assumed that she would take care of it.

When I got back late that night, the electricity was still out and the phone was still not working. I washed clothes that night, and certain wash cycles caused electricity to go out in the entire unit. Also, the toilet was not functioning well, and you had to hold on the handle to make sure it flushed thoroughly. Again, I didn’t report these problems that night because it was really late and I was so tired. However, if the phone worked, I would’ve reported it right away.

On checkout day, I told the front desk clerk about this. She didn’t seem to care, so I asked for the manager. I explained to the manager about all the problems that I experienced during my stay. She told me that I should’ve reported this to management earlier, but I told her I gave the front desk clerk that I spoke with the benefit of the doubt that she would handle the problem. She did look through their log to find my request, but found nothing.

The manager did apologize and offered a free night after I said I deserved a refund since I didn’t get to fully use the unit. She told me that they are not responsible for giving refunds since it was booked through a travel website service. I didn't want a free night because I never hope to return to that place or St.Thomas again!

One last thing is that before I checked into Bluebeard’s Castle, I had problems getting through to make a reservation. When I called, I was transferred to the reservations desk and just got voicemail. This happened several times. Other times I called, their phone just kept ringing without anyone answering. When I finally got through, the women said that she couldn’t help it because she was the only person working there. No apologies but just a bad attitude is what I got. I really regret staying at that place, but I really need a room for the next 2 nights.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
5 mi away
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
#4 of 5 in East End

Been to Bluebeard's Castle Resort? Share your experiences!